This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12045 May 15th, 2003 at 10:29 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I have a rose bush that has started new bushes a small distance away from the main plant. How can I transplant these and ensure they survive. I also have cut roses in a vase starting new shoots how can I successfully take these and produce new plants.

#12046 May 15th, 2003 at 04:53 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Notherner,
I am not a big rose gardener but I've heard that you shouldn't keep the extra shoot off the side of a rose bush as that is a sucker and will sap the life out of the original rose plant. Cut it off the mamma and see what happens (I didn't believe they did anything except green growth, I could be wrong)????? confused

I also understand that this is the time of year to do your rose cuttings. I have heard of many techniques. You look over the mamma rose, if one is in bud now take that one...snip off the that new growth (at the first 5 leaf joint) and de~leaf it, (some use a rooting hormone called "Root~tone" there may be other's I'm not sure of the name. but it incourages roots to grow from the nodes where the leaves were that you pulled off or striped.) Keep this constantly moist, not wet..... Out of direct sunlight.....3 -6 weeks, gently tug on the stem to see if the rooting has taken........
If it turns brown and wilts in between that time you know it didnt' root, smile smile

Here are some sites to visit.............. http://www.h2net.net/p/cnetter/rose_tour/rose_cut.html
http://www.czguest.com/docs/articles/summer_nyp/nyp051699.html
http://www.geocities.com/PicketFence/2254/rootrose.html
http://community-2.webtv.net/Acrossthefence/February2003/page3.html

Hope this helps!!!
Happy roses!!
Weezie

:rolleyes:

#12047 May 16th, 2003 at 04:56 AM
Plus, the sucker may not be the same rose as the mama, as many times the hybrid rose is grafted onto a more common rose root. We have a lovely Chaplin's Pink climber and pulled off a sucker that came up next to it. When it grew, it produced totally different flowers (we think it may be Marquise?) . But it is pretty, too! Weezie's right to say it'll sap the original rose's strength to leave it connected to the first plant. Cut it off, grow it and see what you get. It may be fun! laugh

#12048 May 16th, 2003 at 06:18 AM
N
OP Offline
N
Thank you both for your help. I will defenitely try it. Last year the suckers didn't get a chance to harm the mamma, my husband kept running over the suckers with the lawn mower. smile

#12049 May 16th, 2003 at 06:41 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Northener,
I fired my husband from lawn maintainence about 6 years ago!!!! I gave him several chances when we first got married...He kept cutting down some volunteer columbines I kept watching to see what color the flowers would be, (3 years in row that happened). Then he cut down a Viburnum bush that was on the very back side of a rose of sharon bush and the rose of sharon was in full bloom and the other had not leaved out yet so (I feel bad) he thought he was doing me a favor by cutting it down, thought it was dead wood.
He weed whacked several other flowers that were flowers and he kept thinking they were weeds, so I told him he was FIRED!!!! (I don't think that it really hurt his feelings too bad that he was fired, so he does no lawn maintainence at all....) But in the spring I still get scared when I heard him getting the power things ready for me to use because he does have the urge to use them and has to test them out to see if it's working properly so I go running outside to make sure he's not cutting anything down. I just love that man too much to agrue with him. He's such a honey bunny!!!

Glad I could help!!!!!
Weezie

#12050 May 16th, 2003 at 08:55 AM
N
OP Offline
N
I don't think I will fire my husband as I make sure he knows where I have planted everything. Plus if I fired him I would never get any help with our large yard. He is afraid to pull flowers instead of weeds so he is always asking questions. A good learning experience for him, and now our daughter.
Good growing season to you.
Northern smile

#12051 May 17th, 2003 at 01:10 AM
W
W
smile Thank you all for the rose help. I didn't know about the suckers making the blooms weak. I also didn't know that you might get different types on the same bush.

#12052 May 17th, 2003 at 04:56 PM
F
F
Had a really big laugh about firing of the husband but I won't have to do that (thankfully)as all my flowers are well protected in a flower garden made with large rocks. But, I didn't know about the suckers and will pay attention to that since I planted a rose bush this year.

Link Copied to Clipboard