This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12023 October 1st, 2003 at 08:02 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Anyone grow any herbs????

I grow some but would like to grow more..
I have Lemon Thyme and Balm, St.John's Wort, lavendar, mints~peppermint and spearmints,
garlic, borage, chives, comfrey, calendula,
I used to have valerian, but I didn't see it this year, bad spot..., catnip, feverfew,
I want to grow some dill and parsley for the butterflies, I do have Echinachea too!!
I'd love to learn more about the edible flowers.
like nasturiums, and pansy's...and borage.

Weezie

#12024 October 1st, 2003 at 09:34 PM
T
T
First off, thanks to whoever created this forum!

Secondly, I don't really *grow* any herbs, but I think some grow around me naturally. I think I saw some horehound a few days ago.
I don't really know the names or most of the crap/herbs that grow here naturally. I've been trying to find out what they are, though.

You grow some herbs that I've always had interest in. Esspecially St. John's Wort. I'm not sure why I've always wanted to grow SJW, but its the one thing I'm always looking for.

-=The Prynce

#12025 October 1st, 2003 at 11:08 PM
I have a little herb garden that my hubby made for me for Valentine's Day wavey

#12026 October 2nd, 2003 at 03:39 AM
In my herb garden, I grow:
Rosemary, chives, several types of basil, oregano, greek oregano, spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, parsley (flat and curly), dill, fennel, cilantro, lemon balm, chamomille, echinacea, feverfew, thyme, nasturtiums, lemon grass, garlic, catnip, and sage.

I use my herbs medicinally, in bath/beauty products, and, of course, cooking. I love to cook with fresh picked herbs, I also freeze several of them, for that "fresh" taste in the middle of winter smile and curling up with a hot cup of herbal tea can't be beat! thumbup

#12027 October 2nd, 2003 at 04:08 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Got any recipes Nikkal?

To make the stuff???

Just curious???

Weezie wavey

#12028 October 2nd, 2003 at 02:52 PM
I grow parsely, oregano, basil and chives on my windowsill in little pots. I haven't tried any outside in my garden yet but I'd love to try garlic. Is it easy to grow?

#12029 October 3rd, 2003 at 12:22 AM
Garlic is super easy to grow, all you need is a bulb and some dirt. My dad gave me some elephant garlic a few years ago and it just keeps coming back, not even sure how or why because I dig it up and use it. :rolleyes: I noticed our Home Depot had both onion and garlic bulbs available over by the other fall bulbs so your's probably does too (if you have HD in Canada?). thumbup

#12030 October 3rd, 2003 at 05:14 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I have the walking (or nodding) onion or garlic..
They are so much fun to watch..
They curl around!! And when the flower is done, it
makes a bunch of bulbs on the flower, then it dries up and it bends over and where the bulblets fall is where the new plants grow...
Weezie

#12031 October 3rd, 2003 at 05:19 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Prynce,
Make sure you read up on any herb you grow and or take, some have some adverse effects...
St. John's Wort can make you sensative to the sun.
Not too good for a gardener!
There is a couple kinds of St. John's Wort too.
Mine is about 12 to 18" and it's got some really nice yellow flowers.....
I've had it about 3 years now, but it's hidden behind a Hosta that is just about throwing everyone out of the garden..... but it's holding it's own!!!

Do you have a picture of what you think is that horehound???
Post it in Mystery Section if you get one!!

Weezie

#12032 October 3rd, 2003 at 04:15 PM
I love herbs! They are beautiful and their marvelous aromas do lovely things for my mood. I enjoy reading about herbal remedies, but aside from aromatherapy (a good whif of fresh rosemary can lift my spirits), the only one I've used regularly is Feverfew, which is one of the few herbal cures recognized by the AMA as a proven cure. It has all but cured my migraines. I used to have annual migraines, which would last a day, make me nauseous, give me tunnel vision and make me "see stars", they were so bad. But at the onset of a migraine, you may take a couple of fresh feverfew leaves , put them between two slices of bread, chew them up and swallow them as dryly as possible, then go lie down and the thing'll pass in a half hour. The reason for the bread is that the medicine is contained in an oil that is so potent it can give you mouth ulcers if you chew it straight. I always used the bread and I never had a problem. I tried this method and after three or four aborted migraines, I never had one again. I'm not saying I won't, but I haven't, and it's been about five years.

St. John's Wort is one I grow. It has gorgeous yellow flowers. So does Evening primrose, which is wild, but I let grow in my garden. (I take it in geltab form for PMS. Works very well for me.) I also allow Mullein in, because it is highly regarded by Native Americans as a medicinal plant, but I can't recall what for. Memory? laugh

I grow sage because I love it's color, smell, taste, and flowers. Likewise for rosemary, oregano, and pineapple sage. I grow basil annually. Lemon balm has a cheerful aroma, as does chocolate mint and spearmint, but they are rampant, so I give them their own room to roam. I had a bronze fennel out there, but I didn't see it this year. I have lemon catnip for my feline buddy. He deserves it.

Some people call all perennials herbs. When you look in an herb book, you might spot many things that you may not have previously thought of as herbs, such as geraniums, painted daisies and roses (which I also grow). I know I'm forgetting some of the ones in my yard. (Where's that mullein?)

My question for you is: What do you consider the qualities of an herb?

#12033 October 7th, 2003 at 09:38 AM
T
T
weezie,

I know the effects of herbs and junk. I do a bit of folk magick which often includes herbs. St. John's Wort, though, is just something I've always been drawn to. When an herb peeks my interest, I look up information about it.

I don't have any pictures of what I thought was horehound. I went to get pictures of it today and forgot where it was! I did get 20 other pictures, though, of plants that I don't know what they are. One is a red spider lily, I later found out. And some others look like tiny daisies. I'll post those on mystery plants in the morning.

-=The Prynce

#12034 October 7th, 2003 at 02:43 PM
P
P
Drying and Preserving Culinary Herbs:

http://outreach.missouri.edu/jasper/hort/mg/globe/038.htm

#12035 October 7th, 2003 at 07:08 PM
Thanks, Papito. You are certainly a fount of information around here.

The Prynce- I wonder if those tiny daisies are aster or feverfew?

#12036 October 8th, 2003 at 06:41 PM
I grow some kinda mint.some kinda catnip,wild onions,parsely,basil,nastruims,garlic,chives.mex marigold(good on chicken).I'm going to be doing more herbs next year& will be filled in amoung my butterfly/hummingbird garden.will add lavendar between my roses at sidewalk area.expanding basal plants& adding sage& no telling what else.

those red spider lilys are lycrois radiata.i have the reds& 1 pink...they come in yellow/white&peach also.

#12037 October 9th, 2003 at 12:37 AM
P
P
Bess,
I believe that the infusion of Mullein is primarily use to remedy cough, but also suggested for diarrhea and constipation. Not sure if it is recognized by AMA.

#12038 November 1st, 2003 at 11:22 PM
D
D
Hi All! I have been into herbs for several years. Finally got my herb garden started this year. I grew 3 types of basil, cilantro(will reseed), curled leaf parsley, dill, sweet annie, garlic, chives, thyme, horehound, tansy, valerian, lemon balm, oregano,sage, rosemary, sweet marjoram, jewel weed( tea from whole plant used externally for poison ivy), echinacea, red clover, mullein, yarrow, roman chamomile and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Duh

Dawn

#12039 November 2nd, 2003 at 04:55 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Dawn,
I love all the herbs you grow,
the one that caught my eye was
the jewel weed!!
My father loved that plant/flower.
The hummingbirds loved it..

All my life growing up, I only thought
the plant had orange flowers, and by accident
I came acrossed some yellow ones.
They are soooooooooooooooooo much fun with
the wee~ones, when the seed pods pop open for them and the leave when emerged into the water turns silver..

Weezie

You'll have to send in some tips for growing them.

#12040 November 2nd, 2003 at 07:34 PM
D
D
Hi Weezie, so glad I'm not alone...jewel weed is one of my fave's!!!! I only have the orange flowered kind at this time. It grows wild along the roadsides and creekbeds. I spared some plants last year from a road crew and transplanted them in a "wildflower" bed (the weed patch!). I never collected the seeds last fall so its taken over that bed just by reseeding. I got smart this year and have been collecting what seeds I can hold onto! flw The first time I had a pod explode in my hand I nearly had a heart attack! Let me know if you want some seeds!

#12041 November 6th, 2003 at 12:36 PM
F
F
If echinacea is an herb, i guess i've grown plenty of that. I also tried lavender.

Link Copied to Clipboard