This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#120015 November 1st, 2005 at 03:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
how often do you? i have about 6 feeder gold fish (give or take) and i don't know how often to feed them now that it is getting cooler. i tried feeding them day before yesterday and they wouldn't eat. going to go try it today, but does anyone have any real idea or answer?

#120016 November 1st, 2005 at 04:15 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Jiffy...I have been agonizing over this same question.
According to everyone I've talked to you are supposed to stop feding them in winter...but last winter I fed mine everyday, even when I had to break the ice on top of the pond to feed them...and they always ate! nutz
(My fish aren't normal...they've hung around me too long.)

Here's a site that tells you what everyone has told me...
Pond Winterizing Info

...I just hate NOT feeding anything.
Seems to me like they would starve to death.

Cindy Sue

#120017 November 1st, 2005 at 04:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
clp well, today they ate! and ate, and ate, and ate... i'm not sure they got enough, but after 5 minutes,the mosquitoes ran me in the house! laugh laugh

#120018 November 2nd, 2005 at 05:49 AM
I am so glad you asked that question. I was wondering about that, too.

Dianna

#120019 November 6th, 2005 at 08:49 AM
G
G
Yep...once things cool down, it's better not to feed them at all until spring thaw. I know it sounds horrible...but I suppose it is sorta like bears. Their digestive system and bodily functions all slow down in the cold water...and feeding them can actually cause all sorts of problems. Not only do they end up constipated, but food decomposes in their system and can cause infections...and if they aren't eating, that food just contaminated the water column as it breaks down.

My guys don't get anything once the water hits about 55*...until the spring when they become more active again.

Link Copied to Clipboard