This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119349 April 3rd, 2005 at 03:30 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello from Detroit Michigan.

I work full time 8a to 6p most days. not much time for gardening, but want things to look nicer around here.

I have always admired gardens - the color and texture. My situation is bleak. I don't do anything. Once we planted watermelon colored flowers around the tree out front. that was nice. I pay a guy to cut the grass. I've let beds that were here when we moved in overgrow. this has gone on for 10 years.

I have an oval in front the prior owner did that has purple stick like flowers and daffodils every spring. Tall spiky grass that I kind of like grows in there too. but unfortunately now everythings thick and clumpy and lots of stuff grows after the spring flowering so its really a bed of weeds.

I love the daffodils and don't want to mess them up. I recently figured out that instead of trying to work in a workout, I can just work! IN the yard. But i'll need help figuring out what to do and how best to use my little time. lots of help.

today I bought Scott Turf builder plus halt, thinking i could start by prevent the weeds that i can see when the lawn guy takes too long to get here.

i have another "used to be a garden bed" in the back. for the last 5 or 6 years, its been a jungle. I plan to cover that with land fabric after i scrape off the weeds that are coming up already (had the lawn guy weed whack everything flat last fall) cause i let the nice plants that used to be there be overwhelmed by weeds.

I hope i'm in the right place for BASIC help or maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I'd like to show pictures of how it is to get specific guidance on what best to do next. how it that done?

#119350 April 3rd, 2005 at 05:26 AM
G
G
Welcome Sharon!

Don't let it overwhelm you -- just take on one spot at a time. Unless of course, you're a little OCD, like me, and then you'll want to do it all at once... grinnnn

The UBB page explains how to link to images -- http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=ubb_code_page

Everyone here is sooo helpful -- i'm sure you'll get all the answers you need!

Gisela

#119351 April 3rd, 2005 at 09:26 AM
O
O
Welcome Sharon! wavey Sounds like you have a project! You might want to start with clearing the weeds from around the surviving plants you want to save and then mulch to help prevent new weeds from germinating. Even with mulching, since the area has been overgrown, you'll probably have new weeds coming through. It's important to keep them pulled to prevent a new crop of seeds. Next year also, although the number of weeds should noticably drop, by then. After that they should be pretty much in control except for the occasional weeds that will need to be pulled. Any deep rooted perennial weeds will need to be dug out to get all the major roots or they will resprout.

#119352 April 3rd, 2005 at 11:06 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi Sharon,

I'm reclaiming a weed patch so I know what you mean. I have limited strength so I have to break it down into 15 minute increments but believe it or not I'm making progress so it isn't impossible. Recently I found wild onions growing in an area that I was working in and although I had pulled up a lot of them I still have alot left. I also have a plant that these wonderful people helped me identify in mystery plants.

And their is even a place that shows you all the weeds so I know what to pull up and what not to.

#119353 April 5th, 2005 at 04:43 AM
S
OP Offline
S
This is great! I think I can do 15 min a day. I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor and get tired more than before, but also want to do more than before.

thanks for the link to how to do pix.

where is the place to identify weeds? I really need to study that.

thanks again

#119354 April 5th, 2005 at 01:11 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
here is a link to a site with lots of weed pictures but it's not the best I've seen. Of course that one eludes me this morning. (need more coffee).

Weeds

If you ask on the forum called "lawn care problems" someone will have a really top notch link for you.

I know how important a positive attitude can be to recovery and plants & gardening are great for that. Especially with such friendly people to help you get going and when necessary keep going.

#119355 April 8th, 2005 at 10:48 PM
HI SHARON AND W E L C O M E!!! wavey

I too live in Michigan just outside of detroit (downriver). wink

"I am a 2 year breast cancer survivor"

Congratulations, and be sure to read the 'breast cancer quilt', post at the BANTER HALL here and get your name on the quilt too. wavey
Sue z

Link Copied to Clipboard