This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#119218 August 28th, 2005 at 10:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I don't think the one I use for flour is going to work for the compost. So can someone fill me in please. since I continually add to my compost bin a sifter sounds like a really great idea but I need more information. Can I make one or buy one cheaply. And how do I know I got one that is going to last a good long while. I hate having to buy tools over and over again. That always seems wasteful to me.

#119219 August 28th, 2005 at 11:25 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

#119220 August 28th, 2005 at 11:35 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That's really fancy and really nice and takes everything into consideration. I don't have anywhere I could store something like that even if I could come up with it but I sure wish I did. That is so cool. Do you mind if I cut and paste that into my garden log under very useful information. That's were all the stuff I want to get when I have my own place is stored.

So how about some pvc pipe and elbows and 1/2 inch wire mess and some wire for lacing the mess to the frame and possible some bricks to lean it against? Am I in the ball park?

#119221 August 30th, 2005 at 08:26 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Do you mind if I cut and paste that into my garden log under very useful information.
Not at all! You don't have to ask permission for something like that!

So how about some pvc pipe and elbows and 1/2 inch wire mess and some wire for lacing the mess to the frame and possible some bricks to lean it against?
Sure! Use schedule 40 or schedule 80 pvc pipe tho, for strength. I have a 30"x30" sifter that I made from a 2x6 that works well in small areas. You could probably make it from 2x4s for what you need...
[Linked Image]

#119222 August 30th, 2005 at 11:33 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
So you made the 2x6 box first then put the mesh on top and then the smaller pieces of wood on top of the mesh? Sorry I'm not very bright about these kinds of things. I think I will definitely check out my local Lowes for the materials for that. I'm loving composting and this will help me keep it going continuously with only one bin.

Thank you Bill.

#119223 September 28th, 2005 at 10:51 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well it's not great but it's better than what I had before lol.

I found a window screen poked some holes in it and now I have a sifter lol. I gave it a trial run and it works ok. Not great but ok. Next Sunday should be a very productive day. Especially considering how hot the compost was today.

#119224 September 29th, 2005 at 04:40 AM
That's a great idea...I know I have some spare screen here somewhere...though I know as is it would be too fine, but with some pencil pokes through it that should open it up enough to sift. Coolio! wink

#119225 September 30th, 2005 at 11:14 AM
Hello, Do I need to sift my compost??? Also my compost is not really getting hot anymore but is still composting lol. Do i stop adding stuff so it gets ready so i can bag it for the winter and use it next season. Or is it best to keep adding stuff? Dee thank for any info.

#119226 September 30th, 2005 at 10:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ladybug,
Depends really on you...

I have several compost bins, and it's very
easy for me to start one and stop one whenever
I feel the need...

Some on the other hand, don't have much
room for compost and only have one...

Do you have the area to have more compost??

The ideal for a complete composting system is....
3 bins... one you are working on, throwing stuff in, one for when you let that one rest... and you start working on that one, and the third one that you are using from..
Does that make sense???

Some have them side by side, I have them allll
over my yard, willy~nilly, cause I have the space and don't like hauling stuff alllll over the yard
to one area...

So, remember, the pile at some point has to be
left alone.. to be able to finish up the last of
what you put in... and in the meantime you need one to add the new stuff while that other one is working..

Bagging works great, just watch the bigger pieces
so they don't stick out the side of the bag....
and poke thru, not good if that happens, you
lose all of your goodies inside..
*had it happen*

Ooops, sorry, and for the sifting,
I do, cause when you're all done you have this
beautiful black gold in your hand, and I believe,
IMHO, is the time when it makes all the work worth it to see this precious stuff in your hand..
*or wheelbarrow the way I do it..*

#119227 October 1st, 2005 at 12:49 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Because I only have one bin and am very impatient to see and use the results I sift.

I am trying to not have to buy potting soil and it is helping a lot but not completely covering the need for more soil. My house plants keep hording their potting soil and asking for more. What's a mama to do, I ask you. I give them more and compost.

The idea to actually have enough soil that I could bag it up is great. someday I hope to have enough soil covering my clay that I will actually have a surplus. But then I'll probably convince a neighbor to start doing their yard. Not that I'm crazy or anything lol. Ok so I am.

I love compost.

#119228 October 1st, 2005 at 12:52 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I do too Tammy!!!
7 bins full!!
*and no more bins ters eek wink

#119229 October 4th, 2005 at 12:55 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Weezie is compost like money? You can never have enough.

Link Copied to Clipboard