This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#118994 August 2nd, 2005 at 11:37 PM
That is great Phoenix, thanks for sharing!

#118995 August 3rd, 2005 at 12:12 AM
NO problem dahl!! I just wish it came out clearer.
I don't have a digital camera(yet). SO I have to use my cell phone. You should check out my photobucket album. You will get a kick out of the picture of Jeff's parent's dog. Everyone thinks it's a stuffed animal

#118996 August 3rd, 2005 at 08:49 AM
OP Offline
well weezie I started the seeds in little clear plastic dixie cups and then I thinned them out into their own little clear plastic cups. I planted about 5 seeds and about 2 or 3 of them are still green but they are teeny tiny and barely peaking outta the soil. they've been like that for like 3 weeks maybe more :-( triss it's no problem!pheonix,AWSOME PIC! the purple flowers on this plant are sooooo pretty! just curious but are the eggs hard like real eggs?

#118997 August 3rd, 2005 at 09:09 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jamie,

I found the more I up~graded their pots,
the more they grew...
If I just left them...
they just kinda sat there...

The one I just found, I repotted it today..
I'll see how fast it grows...
**I just repotted it today.*
it's so cute, just two little leaves..

My problem is those flea beetles did a number
on them... lot's of holes in the leaves...
But, I'll get them back growing again...
thumbup

#118998 August 3rd, 2005 at 11:55 PM
OP Offline
well they have their own little cups and I repotted them weeks ago but they still aren't doing anything. I'll go out and tough the sun and heat today and plant some more :-)

#118999 August 4th, 2005 at 12:09 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jamie,
What kind of dirt/soil do you
have them in?
And are they outside or inside????????

#119000 August 7th, 2005 at 01:53 AM
OP Offline
they are outside...I keep them in the walmart brand potting soil...I get the big 40 pound bags for a buck fifty. I have some miracle grow plant food too...should I try this? I can also use some of my dads soil...he uses the organic miracle grow

#119001 August 7th, 2005 at 02:56 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jamie,
If it's the $1.50 brand I snagged,
go find some other kind of dirt
to lighten it up a bit..

It's real heavy when it gets wet,
and makes it hard for those tiny
new roots to get thru...

Find some regular potting soil, or vermiculite
or perlite, and some peatmoss stuff..
mix it in good,

That stuff is hard as rock when it gets wet.
*I bought a bunch of bags for a small project
I did, I'm almost regretting it....

#119002 August 7th, 2005 at 05:05 AM
R
R
Very cool!!

#119003 August 7th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
OP Offline
okey dokey weezie thanks! is that stuff all that expensive? would it work ok to just mix some of my dad's miracle grow potting soil with my potting soil? or would it be best to just do what you did? we're probably going to walmart tomorrow and I've written down those things and I'll check the prices out tomorrow at wally world. thanks! heya triss have ya got the seeds I sent ya yet? if not you should be getting them any day now :-) hope ya enjoy them!

#119004 August 7th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
not yet. will let you know though. can i start these inside now? or when i get them actually?

#119005 August 7th, 2005 at 11:20 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I wouldn't see why you couldn't use that
Miracle Grow Soil, but I am not quite that
well versed with this plant yet, so I can't
say 100%, Lynne *plants~n~Pots* is the one
who's grown them the most/longest...
so she might be able to tell you with dirt/soil
richness whether they like that or not....

#119006 August 7th, 2005 at 09:05 PM
Hi guys! wavey

Only have a sec, as I'm taking my daughter and her friend to our local street fair - fun!

Anywho... I have always used ASB Greenworld's grower mix on all my potted plants - both indoors and outside. It is a "high fibrous sphagnum peat moss" with avec perlite mixed in. I used to only find it at a pricey farm/nursery nearby, but last year I found it in huge square bags at Home Depot. It's pretty airy, but will get compact if I neglect watering for a few days in this awful heat we've been having. Every day they say we will have thunderstorms, but we haven't had a drop since 11 days ago, when we lost power for 26 hours!

My wonderegg plants have been sucked dry at least 3 times this summer - I've been pre-occupied with other things, and can't seem to tolerate the heat and humidity this year... but they thankfully have bounced back each time with only a few large leaves lost.

Hope that helps. The wondereggs do like full direct sun, and regular waterings.

My wondereggs today - you can see 4 different eggs if you look hard. laugh
[Linked Image]

Have a great day everyone!

#119007 August 8th, 2005 at 01:42 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Mine will never get eggs
the rate I'm going!!!!

I have 4 distinct sizes of them..

I did finally get a picture, but will
have to wait now to be able to down load
them, **my computer will blow apart with
the size of all the pictures, and I have
to do something about getting more memory!!
***Wish they had an option like that for me !!! shocked :rolleyes: wink laugh

#119008 August 8th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
Lynne,

That is a beautiful plant.

Question for you. jamie is sending em some seeds and I wanted to start them now. Can I keep these as an indoor plant if they are in a window that gets lots of morning sun, even through the winter?

Thanks!

#119009 August 8th, 2005 at 03:48 AM
Thanks, Triss.

I have never started and grown these plants indoors entirely. I usually start them indoors in March, and then put them outside mid-May. I was able to overwinter 2 stems this past year - strictly by luck. I neglected them, only watering maybe once a month or so - they were in a southern exposure, but really did not continue to grow - they just sat there being pale green and like a stick with a few limp leaves. Once I put them back outside they started growing again.

You might have more luck with them if you are more diligent about watering and caring for them. Sorry I can't help you more...

#119010 August 8th, 2005 at 05:29 AM
That in itself was a big help. My window is right here by my computer so most stuff gets watered. It will be worth a try to attempt a couple and save anything else for next spring.

#119011 August 8th, 2005 at 05:49 AM
Hi folx,

mine is about almost twice loz s,i m suprised normally i m not that good,i gave mom one and it s bout loz s plant size;have another one just that won t grow bigger than 2 3 inch.tall,leggy also.

good luck with yours.

#119012 August 9th, 2005 at 08:10 AM
Meg Offline
Something tiny & black looking was eating holes in this, but I haven't seen them for a few days now, so maybe they've moved on..lol I have 2 blooms on it now, and I think a few more tiny buds are starting to form. I only have this in a 6" pot.. should I repot it now??

[Linked Image]

#119013 August 9th, 2005 at 08:29 AM
Despite the holes, it's looking good, Meg. Duh

#119014 August 9th, 2005 at 09:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
FLEA BEETLES...
That's what I had....

If you planted any radishes,
sit the plants by them....
Did the trick for me...
Annnnnnnnndddddddd keep checking the plant,
I did for like 4~5 days straight, and squwished
bugs, they're quick little buggers too!
And jump like fleas do.

#119015 August 9th, 2005 at 06:10 PM
Meg Offline
I didn't do radishes. But, I haven't seen the little booogers for a couple days now, so hopefully, they had thier fill, and they've moved on.

So, the directions had said to transplant this into a bigger pot, but I didn't get to it, and now it's flowering.. should I not move it, cuz it may go into shock? This is the ONLY one that survived.

Meg

#119016 August 9th, 2005 at 07:37 PM
um, gee Meg... I just don't have experience in transplanting them once they are in flower, so I really don't know what to advise at this point. Duh

Again, aside from the holes in the leaves, the plant looks really healthy - nice thick, green stems, great looking flowers, and the trunk at the bottom is nice and thick and even browning like an older trunk would get. thumbup

I really think I'd leave it as is, for this year, since you do have the flowers, and mentioned that you think it's getting more. This way you can harvest the seeds from the eggs that you DO get for next year. Hopefully more will grow for you then, and you can experiment with potting up then.

Does that help you at all?
Anyone else wanna chime in here? teech

good luck... Lynne

#119017 August 9th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
Jamie... Got your package yesterday (but just saw it this morning) and wanted to send out a HUGE thank you. You sent so many awesome seeds and I am looking so forward to starting a few Wonder Eggs here in the house and planning places for all the Hibiscus.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

#119018 August 10th, 2005 at 10:06 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay, got a picture of the 4 plants together..
See if this works..

*All four were planted on the same day,
April 26th, 2005*

4 plants

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard