A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MissJamie Wonder Egg III - June 26th, 2005 at 12:19 PM
mine are still seedlings :rolleyes: but they are getting their true leaves though :-) mine look like grass in a way eek mad perpl
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - June 28th, 2005 at 12:56 AM
I potted mine up and it's getting a
wee~bit bigger now...

I said to myself gab , I can't frown believe I'll see eggs this summer :p ..
Posted By: Meg Re: Wonder Egg III - June 28th, 2005 at 01:09 AM
What it looks like this week.. still small-

[Linked Image]

Meg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - June 28th, 2005 at 01:36 AM
Hang in there Weezie.....don't give up yet...

Hey Meg, that looks pretty good. The leaves are the same shape as mine...that's a relief....I'm not growing some big weed then....LOL Hey you never know.....I've grown a few weeds by accident before until I realized that yes...they were really weeds and not some strange flower....LOL
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - June 28th, 2005 at 08:06 AM
wow mine look NOTHING like that...well that's because they're still seedlings I guess lol. what'd your seedlings look like?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - June 28th, 2005 at 08:40 AM
Mine looks like that,
just smaller!!! eek eek eek
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - June 29th, 2005 at 12:14 PM
yay! mine are growing just a wee itty bitty teeny tiny eensy weensy bit more and I just saw a tiny part of the 2nd leaves (true leaves) and they are starting to look like meg's wonder egg!! YAY!! I'm gonna repot a ton of sunflowers and other stuff tomorrow if the weather allows and I'm gonna repot the wonder eggs too cuz they're kinda too close together in a little clear dixie cup lol laugh thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - June 30th, 2005 at 11:05 PM
Look, mines getting ready to flower!!! I'm so excited about it! You know what would be funny? To dip the eggs, attached to the plant in a cup of food coloring...then you'd have a real easter egg plant....LOL
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - June 30th, 2005 at 11:14 PM
Wow Loz, that plant is gorgeous!!!!

I repotted mine and it's making leaps
and bounds, still a midget but filling out..

Andddddddddddddddddddddddd, I had repotted
all of the others that were sprouting, and
lo and behold, I GOT ANOTHER ONE!!!
Woooooooooooo~hoooooooooooo!!!!!
After I repotted them all, they all started filling out and it wasn't a tomato plant after all.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - June 30th, 2005 at 11:23 PM
Yours will all look like that before too long Weezie......I'm glad that since you repotted them that they have took off for you!!!!! Mine seems to really like that spot there down at the bottom of the porch steps....it gets a lot of sun.

I bet your kids will think they are pretty neat once they start to egg!!!!lOL
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 1st, 2005 at 08:56 AM
I was goofin' around with the oldest,
and told him that plant's gonna give us
"Chicken Eggs" pretty soon...
He just gave me one of those looks,
like "Yeah right mom"!!!!! :rolleyes: p
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 1st, 2005 at 09:15 AM
Just wait until it actually starts growing eggs....then you can say "I told you so"....LOL Well they may not be edible chicken eggs, but they'll be close enough....... smile
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 1st, 2005 at 03:59 PM
I repotted my seedlings today even though they only had their 1st leaves and were teeny tiny...they all have their own little dixie cups now :-) hopefully they'll grow now! lol how long did it take for yours to get big like that and start flowering loz? I hope mine still have time to grow fully!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 1st, 2005 at 04:40 PM
Hmmm, I had it outside when it was getting it's true leaves way back when it was still pretty cold at night.....Probably back in April....Yours might make it in there by the end of the summer......
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 2nd, 2005 at 06:44 AM
oh ok I sure hope so!!
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:33 AM
So, its been outside for...ummm...maybe 3 weeks...I can't remember. Anyways...this is what it looks like now. I just couldn't believe it when I looked at it today! (yes, I go a couple days without checking up on it. laugh )

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 05:11 AM
Lookin' good Jenn! thumbup

Lookie what I found today on my wonder egg plant! It's on the part that was wintered over from last summer.
[Linked Image]
see the bud in the center? finally! yea!!! clp
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 07:59 AM
cool!! Keep us updated on that!! I want to watch it as it grows!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 04:24 PM
wow! those are looking excellent!! I have to move mine into more sun today...I think that's why they aren't growing :-( mine are still teeny tiny
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 07:25 PM
Hey there guys...I have about 3-4 buds on mine right now, and it's grown a good bit more.....I'll try to get a pic later on....Isn't it exciting Lynne watching it get ready to egg!!!!! I love it!!!!

Jenn, yours is really getting bigger now!!!! That's great! I love seeing the pics of everyones plants.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 07:52 PM
My first one is doing pretty good...
The second one I found is coming along..
and I just found another one...
I can not believe it..
so, I have 3 now...*I had one other one pop out,
but I had just pulled the saucer with the peatpots out, and left them since no more had
sprouted from April 26th..so, I wasnt' watching
it, it had dried out and rained on about 3 times.*

But, I"m still watching the peatpots now,
gosh only knows if another one might still sprout. :rolleyes: perpl

And still no camera, so I can't take a shot of it. eek
Posted By: Francine Re: Wonder Egg III - July 8th, 2005 at 08:50 PM
i jamie,

how ya doing,still waiting for morning glories,tell me if you don t have it,it ll be desapointing but i won t be mad;i d rather you tell me if you won t send it.

bet you can t wait till your trip to va.

good day!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 9th, 2005 at 03:08 AM
hi francine yea I have them and I mailed them out in the mail today! sorry it took so long to send them kissies sorry I made you mad
Posted By: Francine Re: Wonder Egg III - July 9th, 2005 at 10:48 AM
wink jAMIE,

don t worry ,it takes more than that to make me mad,i was just wondering if you still had some to send me,and i would have been disapointed if not but not mad at you;i could never be mad at any gardners friend;sorry if i let you with this impression wavey wavey
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 9th, 2005 at 11:37 AM
oh great phew!!! lol you're very welcome it's no problem anytime :-) the wonder eggs are coming along but they are seedlings still :-( I think the problem is that they aren't getting enough sun so I'll move them tomorrow while I'm out there :-) I still have some seeds from it left so if these don't live (knock on wood lol) I'll have more for back ups :-) are you growing any?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 10th, 2005 at 01:43 AM
Here's my latest picture....You can't tell on this picture but I counted 4 buds on it...... clp I keep checking it every day like a child waiting to open their presents on xmas day....I'm waiting for the present of eggs!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 10th, 2005 at 02:46 AM
wow that looks great loz!! I just love that planter! does it have drainage holes in the bottom or anything??
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 10th, 2005 at 09:22 AM
Yep it has a big old drainage hole on the bottom....You can't really tell from the picture but it's a big teacup planter with a handle on one side....You can order them online from the store I bought it at for either 15 or 20 bucks...can't remember exactly, but it's a nice size planter.

It's so great how so many of us are growing eggs...I love it!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 11th, 2005 at 11:58 PM
Update for Jenn, and everyone else who's interested wink

The flower has turned to a pretty purple and will stay that way for a couple of days before wilting. Then the egg will start to form! thumbup clp

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 12th, 2005 at 12:05 AM
Lynne, that's so great! We're going to have eggs!!!! Actually I have a baby egg coming in where my first flower came in at......it's just little, but I was checking it out this morning........That's good how you got the shot from the bottom the plant!

I'm so excited, I can't stand it....I was showing it to mom yesterday and telling her how a whole bunch of us are growing them--which she thought was really cool.....

How long do the eggs last on the plant? Do you remember?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 12th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
Loz - so exciting, isn't it?!?

The eggs will last allllllllll summer - then they turn yellow, then a little orange, and then brown when they dry up and are ready for the seeds to be harvested.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 12th, 2005 at 08:09 AM
Thanks for letting me know Lynne...I'm glad they don't just last a day and drop off or something....I want to make sure I get my niece over here to show her my egg plant...LOL
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 14th, 2005 at 10:10 PM
Look you guys, one of mine's hatched!!!!!! It's so cool!! Yay!

[Linked Image]

thumbup clp
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Wonder Egg III - July 14th, 2005 at 10:17 PM
That is so cool, Laura! Wish mine hadn't gotten "fried". laugh

Dianna
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 15th, 2005 at 12:16 AM
Aww, I wish yours would have made it--they were all fried or were some over-easy???? laugh
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 15th, 2005 at 01:59 AM
OMG...I'm sooooo jealous!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 15th, 2005 at 02:41 AM
Simply wonderful, Loz!!!

Can't wait til mine hatch! I just hope my husband doesn't let the plants dry out while I'm away next week...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - July 15th, 2005 at 09:50 AM
I was really excited when I discovered it...it's still really small yet though, that's just a good close up.....It feels pretty cool too!

I'm so glad that you had this plant last year Lynne, because it got us all talking about it, and growing it!!!!!!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 15th, 2005 at 09:53 AM
I'm so glad so many of us were able to get the seeds this year! thumbup

It's been fun growing the same plants as our forum friends - it helps make closer bonds I think, ya know? gab
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - July 16th, 2005 at 12:53 PM
wow that looks eggcellent! lol! they have a really pretty purple flower too :-) my seedlings look like they aren't doing very good so I'll get out there tomorrow and plant some more seeds and hope for the best! lol how do the eggs feel? are they hard like regular eggs or soft?
Posted By: celes strickland Re: Wonder Egg III - July 25th, 2005 at 01:57 PM
dose anybody know when you stop planting in zone 8.and when is it ok to plant bushes and bulbs?i don't spell good forgive me. flw
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 26th, 2005 at 02:05 AM
MissJamie - good luck with starting new seeds at this point in the season -
I'd be interested to know if they bloom for you!

The eggs are actually kinda hard and do feel like real eggs, only solid,
if you know what I mean.

Here's my first egg, that grew while I was away.
My husband did let the plant dry out while I was gone mad ,
but I was able to revive it yesterday with tons of water thumbup :
[Linked Image]

And I have many new flowers, so hopefully more eggs to come! clp
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 26th, 2005 at 11:02 PM
eek eek eek perpl
Some little tiny hard bodied, grey~blackish
bug is eating holes in mine!!!! eek eek eek perpl
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - July 27th, 2005 at 04:25 AM
Poor Weezie kissies

I have Japanese beetles eating all my other plants! mad
So far this one seems to be okay though...
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Wonder Egg III - July 27th, 2005 at 05:44 AM
something is eating mine also....but not japanese beetles...don't know what is eating it. I might have to make a small screen to go around the plant to keep it safe.
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - July 31st, 2005 at 02:30 AM
I love this plant. Came across this thread quite by accident after Phoenix mentioned and showed us a plant. This looks like one my kids would love to grow and if I could get some seeds, I'd love it. Right now I only have hollyhock to trade, but will have more stuff soon.
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 2nd, 2005 at 07:39 AM
so how's everybody's wonder egg's doing? mine aren't doing a thing...they are STILL little teeny sprouts! I'll be sure to plant more tomorrow :-( triss keep a look out in the mail I'm mailing your seed pack tomorrow and there may be a suprise in it hint hint! :-)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 2nd, 2005 at 07:52 AM
Jamie,
Are your plants in the same pot??
Or have you repotted on several occassions???

Mine were being attacked by flea beetles...
But I squished them, and moved them,
and now they're just sitting still...

I'm going to re~pot again, and get them moving
along...!!!

I have 4 different sizes of plants!
The seeds sprouted with such differents times..
Duh perpl
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 2nd, 2005 at 08:28 AM
Jamie,

You are such a sweetie! Thanks!
Posted By: phoenix Re: Wonder Egg III - August 2nd, 2005 at 11:27 PM
wavey Mernin' Y'all
As promised Triss here is the pic of my "little egg"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 2nd, 2005 at 11:37 PM
That is great Phoenix, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: phoenix Re: Wonder Egg III - August 3rd, 2005 at 12:12 AM
NO problem dahl!! I just wish it came out clearer.
I don't have a digital camera(yet). SO I have to use my cell phone. You should check out my photobucket album. You will get a kick out of the picture of Jeff's parent's dog. Everyone thinks it's a stuffed animal
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 3rd, 2005 at 08:49 AM
well weezie I started the seeds in little clear plastic dixie cups and then I thinned them out into their own little clear plastic cups. I planted about 5 seeds and about 2 or 3 of them are still green but they are teeny tiny and barely peaking outta the soil. they've been like that for like 3 weeks maybe more :-( triss it's no problem!pheonix,AWSOME PIC! the purple flowers on this plant are sooooo pretty! just curious but are the eggs hard like real eggs?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 3rd, 2005 at 09:09 AM
Jamie,

I found the more I up~graded their pots,
the more they grew...
If I just left them...
they just kinda sat there...

The one I just found, I repotted it today..
I'll see how fast it grows...
**I just repotted it today.*
it's so cute, just two little leaves..

My problem is those flea beetles did a number
on them... lot's of holes in the leaves...
But, I'll get them back growing again...
thumbup
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 3rd, 2005 at 11:55 PM
well they have their own little cups and I repotted them weeks ago but they still aren't doing anything. I'll go out and tough the sun and heat today and plant some more :-)
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 4th, 2005 at 12:09 AM
Jamie,
What kind of dirt/soil do you
have them in?
And are they outside or inside????????
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 01:53 AM
they are outside...I keep them in the walmart brand potting soil...I get the big 40 pound bags for a buck fifty. I have some miracle grow plant food too...should I try this? I can also use some of my dads soil...he uses the organic miracle grow
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 02:56 AM
Jamie,
If it's the $1.50 brand I snagged,
go find some other kind of dirt
to lighten it up a bit..

It's real heavy when it gets wet,
and makes it hard for those tiny
new roots to get thru...

Find some regular potting soil, or vermiculite
or perlite, and some peatmoss stuff..
mix it in good,

That stuff is hard as rock when it gets wet.
*I bought a bunch of bags for a small project
I did, I'm almost regretting it....
Posted By: rue anemone Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 05:05 AM
Very cool!!
Posted By: MissJamie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 11:01 AM
okey dokey weezie thanks! is that stuff all that expensive? would it work ok to just mix some of my dad's miracle grow potting soil with my potting soil? or would it be best to just do what you did? we're probably going to walmart tomorrow and I've written down those things and I'll check the prices out tomorrow at wally world. thanks! heya triss have ya got the seeds I sent ya yet? if not you should be getting them any day now :-) hope ya enjoy them!
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 11:15 AM
not yet. will let you know though. can i start these inside now? or when i get them actually?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 11:20 AM
I wouldn't see why you couldn't use that
Miracle Grow Soil, but I am not quite that
well versed with this plant yet, so I can't
say 100%, Lynne *Plants~n~Pots* is the one
who's grown them the most/longest...
so she might be able to tell you with dirt/soil
richness whether they like that or not....
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 7th, 2005 at 09:05 PM
Hi guys! wavey

Only have a sec, as I'm taking my daughter and her friend to our local street fair - fun!

Anywho... I have always used ASB Greenworld's grower mix on all my potted plants - both indoors and outside. It is a "high fibrous sphagnum peat moss" with avec perlite mixed in. I used to only find it at a pricey farm/nursery nearby, but last year I found it in huge square bags at Home Depot. It's pretty airy, but will get compact if I neglect watering for a few days in this awful heat we've been having. Every day they say we will have thunderstorms, but we haven't had a drop since 11 days ago, when we lost power for 26 hours!

My wonderegg plants have been sucked dry at least 3 times this summer - I've been pre-occupied with other things, and can't seem to tolerate the heat and humidity this year... but they thankfully have bounced back each time with only a few large leaves lost.

Hope that helps. The wondereggs do like full direct sun, and regular waterings.

My wondereggs today - you can see 4 different eggs if you look hard. laugh
[Linked Image]

Have a great day everyone!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 8th, 2005 at 01:42 AM
Mine will never get eggs
the rate I'm going!!!!

I have 4 distinct sizes of them..

I did finally get a picture, but will
have to wait now to be able to down load
them, **my computer will blow apart with
the size of all the pictures, and I have
to do something about getting more memory!!
***Wish they had an option like that for me !!! shocked :rolleyes: wink laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 8th, 2005 at 03:16 AM
Lynne,

That is a beautiful plant.

Question for you. jamie is sending em some seeds and I wanted to start them now. Can I keep these as an indoor plant if they are in a window that gets lots of morning sun, even through the winter?

Thanks!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 8th, 2005 at 03:48 AM
Thanks, Triss.

I have never started and grown these plants indoors entirely. I usually start them indoors in March, and then put them outside mid-May. I was able to overwinter 2 stems this past year - strictly by luck. I neglected them, only watering maybe once a month or so - they were in a southern exposure, but really did not continue to grow - they just sat there being pale green and like a stick with a few limp leaves. Once I put them back outside they started growing again.

You might have more luck with them if you are more diligent about watering and caring for them. Sorry I can't help you more...
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 8th, 2005 at 05:29 AM
That in itself was a big help. My window is right here by my computer so most stuff gets watered. It will be worth a try to attempt a couple and save anything else for next spring.
Posted By: Francine Re: Wonder Egg III - August 8th, 2005 at 05:49 AM
Hi folx,

mine is about almost twice loz s,i m suprised normally i m not that good,i gave mom one and it s bout loz s plant size;have another one just that won t grow bigger than 2 3 inch.tall,leggy also.

good luck with yours.
Posted By: Meg Re: Wonder Egg III - August 9th, 2005 at 08:10 AM
Something tiny & black looking was eating holes in this, but I haven't seen them for a few days now, so maybe they've moved on..lol I have 2 blooms on it now, and I think a few more tiny buds are starting to form. I only have this in a 6" pot.. should I repot it now??

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 9th, 2005 at 08:29 AM
Despite the holes, it's looking good, Meg. Duh
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 9th, 2005 at 09:18 AM
FLEA BEETLES...
That's what I had....

If you planted any radishes,
sit the plants by them....
Did the trick for me...
Annnnnnnnndddddddd keep checking the plant,
I did for like 4~5 days straight, and squwished
bugs, they're quick little buggers too!
And jump like fleas do.
Posted By: Meg Re: Wonder Egg III - August 9th, 2005 at 06:10 PM
I didn't do radishes. But, I haven't seen the little booogers for a couple days now, so hopefully, they had thier fill, and they've moved on.

So, the directions had said to transplant this into a bigger pot, but I didn't get to it, and now it's flowering.. should I not move it, cuz it may go into shock? This is the ONLY one that survived.

Meg
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 9th, 2005 at 07:37 PM
um, gee Meg... I just don't have experience in transplanting them once they are in flower, so I really don't know what to advise at this point. Duh

Again, aside from the holes in the leaves, the plant looks really healthy - nice thick, green stems, great looking flowers, and the trunk at the bottom is nice and thick and even browning like an older trunk would get. thumbup

I really think I'd leave it as is, for this year, since you do have the flowers, and mentioned that you think it's getting more. This way you can harvest the seeds from the eggs that you DO get for next year. Hopefully more will grow for you then, and you can experiment with potting up then.

Does that help you at all?
Anyone else wanna chime in here? teech

good luck... Lynne
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 9th, 2005 at 08:53 PM
Jamie... Got your package yesterday (but just saw it this morning) and wanted to send out a HUGE thank you. You sent so many awesome seeds and I am looking so forward to starting a few Wonder Eggs here in the house and planning places for all the Hibiscus.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 10th, 2005 at 10:06 AM
Okay, got a picture of the 4 plants together..
See if this works..

*All four were planted on the same day,
April 26th, 2005*

4 plants
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 10th, 2005 at 10:08 AM
Here's the Flea Beetle Damage
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 10th, 2005 at 10:12 AM
I wonder why the huge difference in size if they were all planted the same day. Very odd! Those poor leaves!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 10th, 2005 at 10:31 AM
They all sprouted at different intervals...

I am a great believer in HOPE...
(and slow too)
I left the peat pots in the container...
One sprouted, and I waited for more to sprout.
Thought I'd only gotten the one..
But I left them in the container and continued
to water instead of throwing them out and giving up...
Then another one sprouted, and so, I kept water in
the dishes and a couple of weeks later then 3rd one sprouted...

I've still had water available to those peatpots,
and the fourth one just sprouted a little while ago...

GO FIGURE~~~~~~~~> Duh flw yet eek !!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 10th, 2005 at 10:35 AM
Makes a lot of sense. So when did you plant these and have they been inside the whole time? I just got my seeds from Jamie and while I still have to actually research the plant, I am eager to get some in some dirt.
Posted By: Karrie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 09:49 AM
ok ok what is a wonder egg plant? THis is the only place I have ever heard of one. Fill me in guys!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 09:54 AM
Karrie,
Go back to the #1 page of this thread,
scroll down and to the third post down,
should be Loz's picture of a plant..

Then you can also do a FORUM SEARCH,
and type in WONDER EGG in Gardener's Chat...
Should find the original post too!!!
Posted By: Karrie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 10:05 AM
Where do you get them adn what do they look like when the flower?
Posted By: Karrie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 10:10 AM
Wow that is one cool looking plant! I want one. Where do I get one at?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 10:14 AM
We allllllll got them at Wally~World in the spring time....
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 10:17 AM
Did you see all the different pictures??
Lynne/Plants~n~Pots' has one she over wintered..,
Laura/Loz has one that has purple flower....,
and I posted one and so did Meg with Flea Beetle damage, I think Hisgal/Jenn posted a picture or two, seems like there was a few more pictures'
too, but can't remember..
Posted By: Karrie Re: Wonder Egg III - August 12th, 2005 at 09:22 PM
There is a beautiful pic of one on ebay half white and half gold! Wow I am going to have to watch for these little guys this spring!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wonder Egg III - August 13th, 2005 at 01:09 AM
I have about 10 eggs on my plant right now...one of them has turned goldish brown, the others are still all white.....Every single person that sees that plant in my yard thinks it is just soooo cool! Plus the tiny tim tom. seeds that came with it grew really well too....
Posted By: Meg Re: Wonder Egg III - August 15th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Wonder Egg III - August 15th, 2005 at 08:03 PM
That is beautiful, Meg!

Dianna
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 15th, 2005 at 09:11 PM
I still got no flowers ters ters ters ters
Posted By: frechtling Re: Wonder Egg III - August 17th, 2005 at 12:13 AM
Quick question: are wonder eggs edible? I am assuming not, but am still curious. I have two good sized plants that are producing lots of eggs, from purple flowers. I will try to post a picture sometime. Recently the leaves started to get spotty, but it doesn't look like bug damage - wondering if anyone has similar problems.
Posted By: Francine Re: Wonder Egg III - August 21st, 2005 at 12:43 AM
i read somewhere on this forum they were but it s very sour,it s edible it s in the eggplant family.you just have to find a recepe for very sour eggplant and cook it as it s written.

that s what i remember reading but you might want to do some more research on it first.

good luck!
Posted By: Francine Re: Wonder Egg III - August 21st, 2005 at 12:44 AM
by the way,welcome to the forum,you might want to go on the new members section and introduce yourself,that way people ,more people will see you and answer your questions.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 02:05 AM
My wonder eggs today. As you can see, they are in different phases of developement - still getting flowers, nice and white, and one has turned a brilliant yellow already.

Gotta love this plant!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

How's everyone else doing with theirs?
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 02:07 AM
Beautiful! I really have to get my seeds started! Might just do that this afternoon. Thanks for sharing Lynne!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 02:11 AM
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jealoussssssssssssssssssssssssss.........
Mine are still all just sitting there now...
No action, just stalled...
I was repotting and repotting and they were doing
great, then those flea beetles got them and
nothing...
Maybe I should repot again...
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 02:19 AM
Well Lynne’s beautiful pictures are inspiring me to get my wonder egg seeds going. At least a few of them. What I have available are 6 small clay pots that fit into a two shelf holder that will sit on my desk. It gets morning sun for several hours each day. I am wondering if I should create a “greenhouse” by putting the seeded pots into a plastic sandwich baggie until the seeds sprout or if just having them in the house next to the window will be good enough? Any thoughts?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 03:32 AM
Triss ~

I usually start all my seeds in peat pellets in a plastic chinese take out container. I use them because I have so many, and they are the perfect size for doing this. These containers fit 2 rows of 4 pellets, and the clear plastic cover is just high enough to fit over the pellets and allow the seeds to sprout to about 1 inch. I poke holes in the lid, and also remove it sometimes when the sun is shining directly on the container, so that the seeds don't get moldy.

I would probably put plastic bags over your seeds, at least for the first day or two. But, do watch to make sure they are not baking in there, with too much moisture. You might want to cover them only at night.

I wish you much luck with your seeds. I haven't ever started them this time of year, and will be very interested to learn how they do for you.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 03:42 AM
Lynne, those eggs are gorgeous. Can you tell me what they feel like? They look like hard-boiled eggs. Do they feel the same way.

I wish mine had made it. Mine got fried, scrambled, boiled, etc...from the get-go. I will try one more time next year.

Dianna
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 04:46 AM
Dianna ~ that's exactly what they feel like! laugh
They are pretty firm, and a bit heavier than a fresh egg would feel. If you squeeze them just a bit there is a tiny bit of give - I've been trying to decide what to liken them to, and you've got it exactly! thumbup
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 05:12 AM
I am gonna try it one more time next Spring. Third time is the charm, right? wink

Dianna
Posted By: Triss Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 05:14 AM
Lynne,

Once I get them started, I will start a journal on here and keep everyone apprised of how they are going by doing them off season. Think I am going to do 3 covered and 3 uncovered. From all I have read with everyone else's experiences, these lil guys are tricky to grow. Will also save the rest of my seeds to grow in the spring when they are supposed to grow.
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 05:54 AM
uhm...can I ask a really confused question? good! laugh Where are the seeds - in the egg?

Wish I had the room to start some indoors - just have a kitchen counter that's already half taken over with seeds drying, and cuttings and stuff - don't think i can get away with using the whole counter laugh
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 06:31 AM
Never a dumb question, Mary. kissies

The eggs go from white, to yellow, to slightly orange before turning brown. When they brown, they get dried out and crinkly. When they are totally dried out, you can crack laugh thumbup
Posted By: MaryReboakly Re: Wonder Egg III - August 24th, 2005 at 07:10 AM
smile That is SO COOL! Thanks Lynne - I like so cannot wait to get these going!
WOW I just sounded like a valley girl, like laugh

Anywho, may be I'll have to find some hanging baskets so I can get around that counter space issue! laugh
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]