This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118699 March 16th, 2005 at 04:32 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I have recently been told that you can have fantastic tomatoes by digging out a hole for a tomatoe plant inside a bale of hay just fill the hole with good planting dirt and water. I would like to use a pine straw bale. no seeds to pollute the rest of the garden, so wondering if anyone has tried this method...

#118700 March 16th, 2005 at 06:21 PM
N
N
Sounds funny laugh But i think my mom would have sent me to live on my own if i had even just tried to get a bale of hay into the garden...so I just HAVE TO TRY IT angell Would have been great with some more details, before I tried though. wink

#118701 March 17th, 2005 at 06:16 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Littlemudbug,
I haven't done it myself, but it is possible,
and pretty much as you just said it...
Bale of hay, cut a planting hole out and fill with dirt, plant tomato plant deeper than it came in the pot/container to give it a good root system along it's stem...
And water...

The only thing I know would be you have to use a bale of hay that has sat out for at least one full season..
DO NOT USE A FRESH BALE..
When items decompose and break down, that process steals away nitrogen from the plant growing...
Which won't be good for your plant..

And a really fresh bale of hay would also probably burn your plant, by being so hot the first year because it's wrapped so tight!!
(same heat like when a barn burns down from too green of a bale of hay, combusted and the heat inside is unbelievable for a bale of hay!!!)

Also, I've read that pine straw will not work!
***I do not know why??****

If you do do this process, I would LOVE cool to hear angell or bad dev that's how we learn new things around here...

Hope this helps some!!!

Weezie

#118702 March 17th, 2005 at 08:28 PM
N
N
Thanks wink Maybe I'll try this year..I'll have to wait and see, don't know if I can get my hands on a bale of hay that easy Duh

#118703 March 17th, 2005 at 08:34 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Make sure it's not a fresh bale...
Has to sit out into the "elements" one year.

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard