This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11852 October 15th, 2003 at 07:53 PM
OP Offline
I bought a beautiful German Ivy from a nursery this year and had it hanging from my carport all summer long. It seemed to love it there as long as I kept it moist, as it was out of direct sunlight. It became rootbound and I put it in a bigger pot and it seemed to be recovering as it had started to lose leaves from being rootbound. Now I have moved it indoors because of the weather here now, but it seems to be dying. I think I will just salvage the new growth and reroot it and start over, but was hoping Will Creed or someone could tell me what I need to do to keep it alive and healthy once I have restarted it. I have no experience with ivys, so would appreciate any and all suggestions.

#11853 October 16th, 2003 at 03:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Glenda,

German ivy (Senecio mikanioides) can stay outside until night temps drop below 40 degrees and actually likes the cool fall temperatures. Bring it inside before any frost arrives. Keep it on a bright north or east windowsill during the winter and allow the soil to dry out more than in summer.

Overwatering is the only real problem with this plant. I suspect that the repotting is what is behind its current decline. If it was losing leaves before you repotted, it was probably because it needed to be watreed more frequently, not because it needed a larger pot.

Prune it back when you bring it inside to help it adjust to the indoor environment. Do not repot or use fertilizer during the winter. Spider mites can be a problem with German ivy and so can aphids. Be vigilant and treat any critters as soon as they appear.

#11854 October 16th, 2003 at 04:11 PM
OP Offline
Thanks so much for the info, Will. Like I said, have no experience with ivys, but the plant's roots were so wound around the bottom of the planter, that I felt it necessary to repot it. Guess that may not have been the thing to do. I will trim it back now and see how it does rather than giving up on it and just taking cuttings and trying to start over. I may take a cutting or two anyway, in case it does not recover, but I sure appreciate your advice.

Link Copied to Clipboard