This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118422 April 6th, 2005 at 09:09 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Ciao campers,

I need your help. I'm planning on putting my cherry tomatoes in hanging baskets as it worked out so well last year. The problem is, there's probably only enough branch space under our cherry tree for 2 of them and I want 6. Therefore, I'm looking for some inexpensive ways to hang them on a free-standing support as the awnings on our house are too high up to warrent watering/harvesting. I've seen some very lovely wrought-iron ones, but they're out of our budget. I'm really hoping some of you Canuckian gardeners pipe up with some suggestions as if I'm ordering online, I'd like to avoid American duty charges. I've tried Canadian Tire and Home Depot, but have only found the expensive wrought-iron ones at the big local nurseries.

Hopes n prayers,
Julianna

#118423 April 6th, 2005 at 10:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Well I would go back to home depot buy a 8 ft length of pipe bury 2 feet into the ground supported by some quick dry cement. take one of those pipe fittings that split into several directions and install pipe in each one going out the lenth you want. They have "t", "y" & "x" . fit the end with a cap that will give you enough of a edge that the plant hanger doesn't fall off. Then put a planter near the bottom with a vine or two in it.

#118424 April 12th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
How about a cedar pole(easily cut) with the brackets from the dollar store for hanging baskets?. Just put it in the ground at least a foot.

#118425 May 1st, 2005 at 08:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Cedar is a very good wood. One thing I was told when planning on using any wood is to put a large rock or gravel in the bottom of the post hole and then use concrete to hold it in place this stops it from rotting over time because the microbes can't get to it. Also make sure the dirt stays off of the concrete foot for the same reason.

#118426 May 2nd, 2005 at 02:35 AM
Snow Bunny
Snow Bunny
Do you have a clothes line with sturdy T poles at each end? Mine are metal and I am hanging my cherry tomatoes at the end of the arms so as to keep them out of the laundry I hang to dry. There is 4 locations right there.

#118427 July 1st, 2005 at 02:41 AM
Now that's an excellent idea for me! thumbup

Thanks,Fernie! smile cool wink

jmacd kit

#118428 July 1st, 2005 at 07:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
jmacd,
I'll have to watch and keep them watered well, since containers dry out quicker.
When you're filling up your pot,
you can put a diaper in the bottom
of the pot... will hold LOT'S AND LOT'S
and LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT's of water...
*have to fill the diaper up with water first
and then fill with dirt, if you leave it dry and
add dirt, it will heave everything out of the
pot when it fills with water...
***But will definately add some weight with
that water that's kept inside of it..***

orrrrrrrrrr, you can find something called
polymer crystals
When mixing your dirt add about one part expanded granules to six parts soil......**Make sure you've soaked the crystals first, so they are the size they'll be when fully expanded, otherwise
they'll expand when they do fill and shove everything out of the dirt.**
I personally put them on the bottom of the pot.
Okay, let me explain that better...
I mix up soil and crystals... I also have just plain dirt...
Depending on the size of your pot...
I fill the pot about 1/2 way with the crystal dirt. Then put in the plant, fill a little more over the roots/area...
Then finish filling with the plain dirt...

What this accomplishes is....
The roots stay to the bottom of the pot getting water, not going to the top and getting water...
because there may be an extremely hot and windy day that dries the top crystals out and if roots are there, they'll dry those roots out too..
So, if you only keep those crystals on the bottom
you should have healthy plants without dried out roots..

And less work for you.....

Only one problem.....
and it's not a large problem, just an FYI teech
if it's an extremely rainy season, you can't get the crystals OUT of the dirt, so they will stay continuously moist, and for someplants, they may not enjoy that.... *(Hence another reason to keep the crystals at the bottom 3/4 of the dirt)*
Pick your plants accordingly...

I started some seeds with some dirt that had these in it...some did wonderfully well,
some died because of it... but I like to experiment
to see how stuff works...so I learned...

#118429 July 1st, 2005 at 09:34 PM
wavey Hi Weezie, and THANK YOU for all wonderful information.

I've seen the crystals, though have never bought any. And I did use some of the potting soil that has them to start some seeds. Some thrived and some died...hmmm. I never thought of too much water maybe being the reason. I thought it was just my "black thumb" at work.

I'll print out this reply and keep it for reference when I get around to actually doing the project.

Thanks again! thumbup

jmacd kit flw

Link Copied to Clipboard