This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118391 February 25th, 2005 at 08:56 PM
E
OP Offline
E
I have been reading and loving every minute of it. I am going to really like getting to know you all. You have wonderful ideas and ways of handleing the gardens.
so I figure it is only fair that I better introduce myself, as I plan on becoming a fixture here, if you all will allow.
I am in zone 5a, I have had gardens for about 20 years, I do not claim to be a pro or an expert. I learn constantly.
I am self employeed, married, I grow as much as i can to help out the pantry and use pretty much all edible things I grow. I can, make my own jellys and jams, dry my own herbs. It keeps me very busy in the summer time. I do love the winter when I can unthaw or un cap what I have put up for that season. I just love it.
My gardens are very old and in serious need of a face lift and some new beds to handle what I would like to add to the back.
I also have a cabin along a river. I have a small shade garden there. I love it. I saved a boat that had sunk, cleaned it up and turned it into a nice sized flower bed. I will add to it this year. I don't know what yet, but it is going to be fun trying to figure it all out. I also have the bankside to figure out to, that has become my personal challange,lol.
I look forward to posting aned replying and getting to know you all.
wink
Elfinone

#118392 February 25th, 2005 at 09:07 PM
Hi and Welcome! I'm Winter, in Los angeles. I love this place too!

Its sounds beautiful where you live and you'll have to post some pics of the boat garden soon...it sounds amazing!

See ya around! wavey

#118393 February 25th, 2005 at 09:28 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi Winter, I will post some pics of it when it is in bloom. Right now it looks kind of ratty,lol. so yes i will do that int he summer time. I loved doing all the work. It was fun.
I live around Chicago. We still have some time left in the frozen section of our winter, not much though.
Can't wait to get out and play in the dirt!
wink

#118394 February 25th, 2005 at 11:41 PM
I hear you, Elfi!

Be sure to stop by the ol' Coffeehouse here when you're in the mood to chatter!

#118395 February 26th, 2005 at 01:43 AM
E
OP Offline
E
I will stop in as often as I can, thank you!
wink
Elfinone

#118396 February 26th, 2005 at 02:18 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wavey hi elfin... i love your name... where in the chicago area are you? i have relatives all over the area... gotta say, glad i don't have the winters, but i do like to visit!

#118397 February 26th, 2005 at 04:13 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi Jiffymouse.
I live on the south west side down by Joliet. Lovely little piece of suburbia it is,lol.
Where are your relatives?
wink
Elfinone

#118398 February 26th, 2005 at 03:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
a couple are in chicago proper... and there are some in romeoville (haven't been there, not really sure where they are) and more near schaumberg (sp?). i had some near marquette park, but they moved... gosh, it's been 4 years since i've been up, but i am planning a trip up this summer...

#118399 February 26th, 2005 at 04:43 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i am planning a trip up this summer...
Do I hear another get-together thumbup With a creative mind like yours you'll fit right in!

I've got some long lost relatives in Illinois too(seems like when the older ones passed on,the rest of us lost touch) they are somewhere in or around Highlands.

It's really nice to meet you...chat with you later grinnnn

#118400 February 27th, 2005 at 06:24 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Greetings from Arkansas Elfinone! Glad you found the forum...and thanks for the introduction.It wont take you long to get to know everyone. flw I, like G~mom...am anxious to see your boat garden, so be sure to post some pics! What a great idea.

#118401 February 28th, 2005 at 05:15 AM
E
OP Offline
E
hello G-mom and 4 rudy, I will post pics of the boat when it is blooming. I am a bit disapointed as I planted some cardinal flower in it last year, I don't think it made it thru the winter. But thats ok. I will find some shade loving things that will attract the humingbirds. After the poor thing made it thru the winter ice and being sunk for months I just couldn't see them busting it up, thats how it came to be what it is today. they thougth I was out of my mind wanting it, but now, they all think it is pretty cool.
I will post when it is in shape.
wink
Elfinone

Link Copied to Clipboard