This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118219 March 20th, 2005 at 01:24 AM
S
OP Offline
S
I bought a new potted 2 qt. Gardenia plant 2 weeks ago. I placed it in our North-west facing sun room (2 sides of glass). I give some water every day because it seems dry. The leaves are now turning yellow/green. It has many buds, but none have bloomed yet. Then,I read to place the plant in a sunny spot,but not direct sunlight, so I moved it to our south facing bowbay window on the floor today. I don't have it in direct sunlight as we have curtain sheers separating it from the direct sun.I have a bowl of water next to it for moisture. I covered over the hot air radiator directly in front of it with a towel.I live in Connecticut USA. Do I feed this plant now? Mist it? Am I doing things correctly? I don't want to loose this beautiful plant. Will I ever be able to move it back to our north/west facing sunroom? I would like it there, but it's only March and maybe it's not getting enough sun in there and that's why it's turning yellow. I have NO CLUE what I'm doing. If I lose this plant my husband will say "I told you so!" I must avoid "that" remark at all costs! Please help

#118220 March 20th, 2005 at 08:20 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I am certainly no "pro" gardener or anything...but I can tell you what I learned last year with my gardenias....I love them they are so beautiful and smell heavenly!
Feed them with a high acidic food, they reqire a LOT of water...and a LOT of sun. The leaves on mine turned yallow last year and I read about the acid level and went right out and got a timed released food that you only have to use like every 3 months and it correct the problem immediately. I also started watering more and my bushes bloomed forever! You might want to jump down to the archives and search out gardenias for some better advice.

#118221 March 20th, 2005 at 09:26 PM
First of all, tell your husband that the "I told you so" is completely unnecessary and just plain rude. If he wants to make you miserable, then by all means, keep it up. He should be supportive of all your efforts no matter how small and he should certainly encourange you to do things that make you smile. I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh... I could not tell whether or not you were joking but I'm seriously so ill at the number of women who are mentally beaten by the men they love....

Remember that this is an "outdoor" plant and is not normally kept inside. Don't worry about the buds just yet. It's very early in the season for them to bloom. They can stay on the plants at seemingly full size for 6 months and I've heard as long as a year before blooming. The yellow leaves could be anything... could just be the season but more than likely, it's some sort of deficiency. Iron deficiency shows when the leaves are yellow but veins are green. I've never seen an acid deficiency so I can't be sure.

I seriously doubt that your problems were caused by the particular window you had the plant in or by dryness in the air. In fact, I think that if you water your plant often, you can do away with your humidity water. DO NOT let the plant stand in water. It hates that. But please move it to where it gets more light. I would even pull the curtain back a bit and see what happens, as long as it's shaded from afternoon/evening sun at the hottest time of the year.

Gardenias are VERY picky and moody. Yes, that's right... I said MOODY.

They supposedly like a lot of tender care, acidic soil and sun. Here in LA, specifically morning sun. However, I've been told they don't like their roots wet (no standing in water), can freak out when you add acid and scorch in the sun and only bloom when you yell or scream at it daily, totally neglect it, don't look directly at it or sacrifice a chicken during a voodoo ritual and amend the earth with its blood mingled with yours so that the gardenia god is placated.....

It seems that every plant is different. I moved mine around until I found a spot it likes. It will likely go in the ground there this year.

So, here's the advice part. They are difficult at times so don't feel like you did bad job if it dies. I mixed pine needles in with my soil last year (acid) and mine bloomed well. I will have to use an acid supplement this year. I'm told a product called Muracid works well. I think roses like this too.

Earwigs and ants LOVE the sweet stuff. I've had a heck of a time keeping them off. Also I've heard a lot of gardenias easily get iron deficiency. I plant to find a supplement this year as well.

Good luck.

Link Copied to Clipboard