This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#118013 April 3rd, 2005 at 03:42 PM
L
OP Offline
L
hanging baskets for hot sunmmer sun.
I live in south carolina and by end of july into aug. the sun is intense at the back end of the house (west side) and I have tried different flowering hanging baskets but they all wane out on me just too much hot sun.
Anyone have an idea as to which hanging flower basket will survive? I was thinking lantana

#118014 April 3rd, 2005 at 04:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
here are some that are suggested at one of my favorite sites.

Anagallis

Calibrachoa

Portaluca

The lantana is really pretty especially the classic cherry red.

I hope you have good luck with your baskets this year.

#118015 April 3rd, 2005 at 06:55 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oooo, Portulaca is one of my very favorites.....brilliant colors of yellow, pink, and orange.....I thumbup

#118016 April 4th, 2005 at 01:43 AM
Do you line the basket with moss before you plant the flowers in the basket??? Because baskets dry out really really REALLY quickly because of all of the air flow around it PLUS you've got the hot sun beating down on it. Just a thought... Duh Duh

#118017 April 4th, 2005 at 04:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oooo, one thing I just thought of that I wanted to share.....

I read a tip about potting plants....it said to put a few used tea bags in the bottom of your pot.....not only is tea good for plants, but they also hold moisture in them--so plants don't dry out as fast.......I have to remember to try this out...... grinnnn

#118018 April 8th, 2005 at 04:11 PM
you can also use your old spounges and chop them up and add to the soil for adding moisture,they'll hold moisture for the plant to utilize& it will decompose too.

They have them moisture jell stuff you mix in the soil.I haven't used that stuff but hear it works great.

I use wire hanging baskets that are moss lined& a few are in full sun.I line a plastic plate in bottom and fill& guess hope it holds enough moisture for the plant.I have strawbeerys& bougainvillia that get full sun.i've done yellow lantana before and morning glorys.my full sun one this year is clemtris& red petunia but is in plastic hanger.also did whitemoon vine last yr and canary vine& my mom would say use impatients(she luv those alot)also mini roses would work.creeping zinnia& I grew some dwarf zinnias in a hanging basket about 4 yr ago& have done gerber daisys(I think my gerbers bloome4d more in basket than ground come to think of it....)the short cosmos do great also,I've done the orange ones alot are about 12 inches and sowed a basket yesterday.Will look great in 8 weeks& marigolds do good in the wintertime,they say its drought tolerant,but does poorly for me from may-Sept here in Southcoastal TX.I just cover with newsprinton frosty nights.

#118019 April 8th, 2005 at 07:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I'll add to the mix here too,
I've read to put *NON~USED* baby diapers
to line the bottom of the pots...
*It has those polymere crystals that will
hold alllllllllllllot of water...
But I would suggest you fill the diaper up with
water first, then put your dirt and appropriate flowers... Those things expand once water is put in.

But there is an easier way, like Njoynit posted,
there is bags of soil that already have that stuff in it..

Also you can buy a jar of it, and tsp it in to your own mix of dirt..
Added note to that, I've read where you should only put those crystals into the BOTTOM of the pot, ***Like mix up "X" amount of dirt with the polymere cyrstals in it, then line any or all of the pots with a bottom layer of that dirt...
the put in regular dirt and plant accordingly...
~~~You don't want the roots going to the top zone of the dirt to get water, once at the top they dry out, you want the roots to go down..

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard