This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11726 August 12th, 2003 at 06:47 AM
C
OP Offline
C
There is a very steep bank in front of our house. It has just been cleared with a bull dozier and we need to plant something that will choke out the weeds and grass as this area will be to steep for us to mow/maintain.

Last month we were traveling through NC and saw lilies on banks like this. They were very thick and gorgeous.
* Are these easy to maintain?
* Do they spread quickly enough to keep the grass/weeds down without required maintainence?
*When can they be planted?
*Is there anything that can be planted now? I'm in AR.

#11727 August 12th, 2003 at 08:49 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cheyenne,
You gotta describe the lilies or what ever they are. But I can't think of anything at the momen. Still trying to deal with the banks of the ditch in front of my yard! good luck.

#11728 August 12th, 2003 at 10:00 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
How about a ground cover, such as Ivy? There are a lot of ground covers that creep. My mind is blank right now, but I'm sure some of the other members can help you out.

#11729 August 12th, 2003 at 03:39 PM
J
J
Hi there. I'm from Canada, but maybe I can give you some help anyway. I also have a steep slope in my backyard, but my problem was trying to keep the roots intact without the soil eroding.
A few plants that grow quickly up here are creeping ivy (varigated leaves), and something we call goutweed. Both perennials, and relatively fast growing. Be careful especially with the goutweed, as it tends to take over, but if you're not concerned about that, it will do well. I also planted a small willow shrub which my local greenhouse said would do well on slopes. It really has, but it has taken about 3 seasons here to get to about 3 feet in diameter. Anyway, good luck and I hope that this helps in some manner!

#11730 August 13th, 2003 at 09:43 AM
gee AZ really stumps me.do you get real hot where you are at?
I think I'd have to go for wildflowers.once established would not need alot of water& they grow at varys hights but if on slop would have to do someing to hold seeds from washing away.
could always do trees& mulch around them and just add a ring of plants.but don't know why work was done on ditch if like utilities maybe
maybe a rock garden?rocks could hold the plants& is a type of limestone rock that has holes in in it so would be like planters.

Link Copied to Clipboard