This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116751 October 30th, 2005 at 03:27 AM
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

this is my first lasagna bed,i covered it with bubble wrp plasti Duh ,my husband says it s not tranparent enough to let light trough it.he sais it s better with a polyurethane clear cover,we have a big roll of it,almost dont know what to do of it,any suggestion for it and is it ok to replace the bubble wrap with it. kissies

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
You don't need to cover your bed at all but it won't hurt to do it.

You could use the solar method to clear some dirt of weed seeds with the poly if you don't mind giving up your drive way. Mary had a link that explained it awhile back. I'm not exactly sure where.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
The only thing I thought of when
you posted this is..........
What happens to it, during the cold winter,
freezing temps and snow/sleet/ice???
Will it disintegrate?????
Fall apart or shredd when you lifted it?

*do you get that stuff, what growing zone are
you again?*

Also, as a side note..... I never cover my
lasnaga beds... they get all the snow and bug
action they can get to break down..

Usually when they put the clear plastic on it,
it's in the spring time when you are trying to
solarize the dirt from icky stuff...

But, when it doubt, experiment...
You never know until you try it, right!!!

OP Offline
Hi weezie,

i m in zone 5 in laval(30 minutes from montreal,not even)and yes i unfortunately get snow,ice(remember the quebec province ice storm of 94) and every sh.. that comes with it( hey,look at that i m a poet now.) laugh didn t think of all those things,should i not cover it at all this winter and just cover in spring,what is it you call solarize,would it be to give it more sun or is it more scientific wavey Hi Tammy thanks for the reply,i ll try finding Mary s post about the solar method.xcuse me but what does the drive has to do with it shocked Duh

thanks for the replies and don t forget to set your **** tonite kissies

OP Offline
i must have typed it wrong,you know with no l i met don t forget to set your clock tonite,,SOORRRY!!

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know Francine, everyone gardens differently...
And what works for one, may or may not work for others, ie; climates~growing zones, how much work, funds $$ available...

and I don't personally cover my lasgna beds,
cause I don't have alot of money, time and have plenty of resources to work with, with having
2 yards worth of stuff....
So, I just rake all that stuff, onto an area I want to work someday, when I'm running out of rooms in bins.. and have plenty in my Large "Back 40" Compost pile...

so, if you want to cover yours, do an experiment, and cover part, and leave the other part open....
And see which one decomposes best, fastest, easiest for you, and see which method you liked...
Like if you got the same results with both methods, but leaving the plastic off was easier on you... Or if it rendered down better with it on, do it that way....

But I do believe, if you had a regular vegetable garden, with soil on top, and you put that bubble wrap down, I bet you'd have your garden area ready and thawed alot faster than normal...

So, give it all a try and experiment...
And remember, we cool LOVE to thumbup ..... whether it was good angell or bad dev that's how we all learn teech

OP Offline
Weezie,

first of all let me thank you very much for having taken time and effort to write me those infos.twas very nice of you and it s appreciated. kissies

i just came back from uncovering my lasagna and put some more leaves on top of it;you want to laugh,since the trees around my house didn t lose their leaves yet i went to collect the leaves in a wood we ve got around here, it s , about 2 minutes drive laugh ,armed with a garbage bag and some gloves i collected a whole bag full of beautifull leaves,maple leaves for most of it.

is it ok if i wait until next week end to put some more soil on top,it ll be a little colder but it s feasable i thing,what do you suggest;i ll listen to you master teech ,aND IN spring MAYBE I COULD HAVE MY DIPLOMA. idea wink

THANKS A LOT.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I like putting some weight on top of the beds..
Compost or even a potting soil *that way there's no weed seed in the top part of the dirt..*

But I like the weight on the top to hold down the leaves, give good contact with the soil below, and dirt is always a "GOOD STARTER" for the bed to get activated.....

Not too much, so it flattens it, straight down to
the ground, you want a wee~bit of air, but good contact..

also helps in not allowing the leaves to blow around either....

And love to help fellow gardeners.....
love it... I enjoy to help, if I knew something
and could at least make gardening enjoyable and fun and adventurous to try new things....

And my hopes are in turn, when you feel comfortable enough in your own gardening trials, you'll do the same and help another new gardener out with what you know and have learned... kissies grinnnn cool

OP Offline
YES,

IF I SUCCEED THIS spring I HELP A LOT OF NEW ONES FOR SURE,MEANWHILE I M STILL LEARNING,

THANKS MASTER.(JUST LET bILL READ THAT ONE laugh wavey )

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
laugh laugh laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard