This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#116239 April 1st, 2005 at 11:34 PM
R
Russ Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have just planted several great plants for a butterfly garden. Who might can offer some good success stories I might can use for my garden. I have also included a basking rock as well as a watering source for "puddling". I have just installed a butterfly house as well.

#116240 April 2nd, 2005 at 02:24 AM
Sounds exciting Russ! thumbup
Can you share with us which plants you put in for the butterflies? That way we can tell you our successes with the same or others...

#116241 April 2nd, 2005 at 07:12 PM
S
S
In my yard, I've seen butterflies on Tiger Lilies, Enchinacea (Purple Cone flower) Gaillardia, and monarda (bee balm). Just about any wild flowers will do.
Yes, tell us what you got!

#116242 April 7th, 2005 at 05:37 PM
It would be easier for me to tell what plants I don't have than have.
Right now butterflys are on spiderwort/salvia/marigold/azealias/alluims/yarrow/shamrocks/easter lillys&red honeysuckle.

they really like my cosmos,zinnias,salvias/sages,cannas the small flowered ones,yarrow ,they defoliate my MGs but not all is the small flowered ones they defoliate the others are fine useually.they like all mints pretty much.

I have a birdbath I fill with sand and keep wet and thats also where usually I sprout my iris seeds.I grow hummingbird vine up the birdbath and let some root in sand in it also.and when my mimosa tree is in bloom the whole yard is covered as well as the trees.I also keep the ground wet around pond in mornings for them,they'll land in the sand and drink up and flutter off.

I also have a pattern for a butterfly house(change the hole....its a bluebird house)& seen one land on lilly pad in pond yesterday

#116243 April 11th, 2005 at 12:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here's a plan for a Butterfly house,if anyone is interested...

Butterfly house

G-Mom grinnnn

#116244 April 12th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
HI wavey Gardenmom i like you design on the butterfly house i have been makeing them for years you can also use twigs in them insted of bark.here a link to see some that i have built.also some bird houses.
http://www.msnusers.com/mike57flowers/birdhouses.msnw?albumlist=2
hope you enjoy the photos.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#116245 April 12th, 2005 at 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow,Mike...those are great houses thumbup I got my hubby to build 2 bluebird houses...now I want him to build me a butterfly house!

I'd also like to have a Bat house as we have them flying around every night. Have you ever seen plans for them?

G-Mom grinnnn

#116246 April 12th, 2005 at 09:58 PM
G
G
I found these when looking for a new project for hubby -- he just loves when I do that... lala

http://habitat.ms11.net//bat/bathome.htm

Gisela

#116247 April 13th, 2005 at 01:50 AM
HI wavey Gardenmom i dont build bat houses i have them here but theres a few old coal mines around me so they live in them.but i did find a link to a site that shows you how to build one heres the link.
http://floridabats.org/BatHousePlans.htm
hope this helps you some they dont look to hard to build.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

#116248 April 13th, 2005 at 08:12 PM
HI wavey All for all of you that like butterfly houses i found a link for you all to look at.they sell all kinds of houses for those who cant or are not able to build them they have a nice viratiy to pick from.just thought i would share it with you.butterfly houses make a great yard decoration as well as being usefull to our colorfull friends.heres the link.
http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/butterfly_houses.asp
hope you enjoy.your friend in gardening.mike57 wavey flw flw

Link Copied to Clipboard