This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11587 April 16th, 2003 at 08:13 PM
L
Lath Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I wish I could post a picture of this plant, but I think it may be dead by the time I get the film back.
My plant was purchased from the grocery store, it has upright stalks about 5inches high. The leaves alternate and are about an inch wide by three inches long. They are green with yellow spots on them.
Sadly, all of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. I don't know how to help it.
I hope someone knows what this plant is, it's very pretty looking, I'd hate to lose it.

#11588 April 17th, 2003 at 04:55 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Lath, sorry I don't know what it is but I think I have the same one. Did you buy it from Albertsons a few weeks ago? I haven't transplanted mine yet but I know it likes quite a bit of water compared to the others that were sold at the same time. Guess the person was right who suggested not buying plants from a grocery store. If anybody knows the name of this plant it would sure be helpful. Thanks, Karen smile

#11589 April 17th, 2003 at 03:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Some possibilities for you to check are: Dieffenbachia, Aglaonema, and Codiaeum (Croton).

#11590 April 17th, 2003 at 05:49 PM
L
Lath Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Will Creed, thank you so much for the help. My plant is a croton. I think the problem may be that I'm not watering it enough.

Edited to add I didn't know that there were so many different varieties of this. Mine is a variety called SuperStar.

[ April 17, 2003: Message edited by: Lath ]

#11591 April 17th, 2003 at 06:23 PM
L
Lath Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hey catlover, did you find out what yours is? Mine came from a Sobeys about three weeks ago. I haven't repotted mine either.
Good luck with yours. smile

#11592 April 17th, 2003 at 07:37 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Hi Lath
Glad you found out what your mystery plant was. I looked up the plants Will Creed suggested but those are not anything like it. The leaves on mine are elongated and thin, green with yellow polka dots. Seems to be more delicate looking. There was no red found or the yellow stripes that those other plants had. Been on the internet for couple hours now looking but can't find anything close. If it was a baby croton wouldn't the leaves me rounded more? These come to a point. Your description fit perfect and I was sure we had the same plant. I am so confused now! :rolleyes: Lath or Will if you have any other suggestions I would sure love to hear them. Karen

#11593 April 17th, 2003 at 08:18 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Lath and Will I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!
But still not sure what kind of Croton it is. If you go to this website and look at the second picture down. That is it but the names are all the same??????????
www.plant-a-seed.co.uk/crotons.html
Gosh I have never spent so much time looking up one plant. Thanks for your help, Karen

#11594 April 18th, 2003 at 03:17 PM
L
Lath Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I noticed that most sites had the same name for all the different types. It really annoyed me, because I like to know what my plants are.
This site www.exoticangel.com
has pictures and diferent names for the varieties, if you are interested.

#11595 April 19th, 2003 at 06:45 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Thank you Lath for that website. It is definitely a superstar. I was soooo jazzed to find it after all those hours of searching. My daughter thinks I am nuts and a plant is a plant is a plant. She is really missing out. I also found the name of the other plant I purchased at the same time and it is a Dracaena(sanderiana). It kinda looks like a spider plant but it grows upright and the leaves are not as long. Replanted them yesterday so keep your fingers crossed they make it after all of this. Lath and Will Creed thanks again for the information. Now on to other problems "challenges". Thanks, Karen smile laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard