This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115812 December 19th, 2005 at 09:01 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
wavey I was wondering which book/books each of you prefer or find invaluable when it comes to gardening. In other words what are your favorite gardening books??? Santa has been pretty generous this year (must mean I have been good laugh )I would like to add to my library of books, Even though I don't have room for more....I will find a way to add another shelf or book case.

Thanks thumbup

#115813 December 19th, 2005 at 09:12 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I am extremely impressed with my Encyclopedia of plant Care by Miracle-Gro....It's a really huge book and has so many listings in it.....not just annuals, bulbs, and perennials either...but also a very complete guide for houseplants....I think it's great for beginners and advanced gardeners alike.

I have about 30 gardening books and that is my favorite one. thumbup

#115814 December 19th, 2005 at 09:56 AM
And my favorite is area specific for the western states. Sunset Western Gardening Book is my garden Bible. I don't have another general garden book, but a library of text books about propagating, commercial gardening, land management, etc. ~Tina

#115815 December 19th, 2005 at 10:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Tina, I have that book!

I know it's kind of weird right considering I live on the east coast.... thumbup ....Once a year they have a bookfair of free books, and they are all new and really nice. You can take one of each book so a few years ago I loaded up on them--probably had about 30 books. It is a nice book.

#115816 December 19th, 2005 at 10:53 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
The book I use the most is Illustrated Guide to Gardening by Reader's Digest, I have tons of books, but always want more!

#115817 December 19th, 2005 at 10:57 AM
The Sunset books are great for any area and also Orthos Complete Guide to Successful gardening is a good one. I have a couple of "___...Gardening for dummies" and they are laid out really nicely and give things in easy to understand terms.

#115818 December 19th, 2005 at 11:20 AM
I use the Rodale's encyclopedia iof Indoor Gardening I too refer to it as my Gardeners Bible tho it some what outdated ( I couldn't Find my New house plant in it) I love that it has so different areas of concern . As well as a collection of Sunsets and set of the Marshall Cavendish encyclopedia of gardending books 1-20, Not bragging.... REALLY!!! I just got lucky at an estate sale and there were several full sets with hand written notes inside Wonderful surprise I bought 6 lrg boxes of books> Not knowing what I had 'till I got home!! But I've had the Rodale's Book since I was about 22 so you KNOWWWWWW that book is outdated!!!

#115819 December 19th, 2005 at 11:24 AM
I have a mess of Ortho specialty landscaping books. Mostly garage sale type things. some doubles. And other brands like them. I love the ideas. I have a Sunset Western from the thirties; one from the fifties, one from the sixties seventies and a current issue. It's amazing to read the changes both in the books and in the science of botony. And lot's of landscaping ideas. ~Tina

#115820 December 19th, 2005 at 01:06 PM
And while there are all kinds of good books out there, I find it is so much easier to pop online and either find the answer here at the GF or by asking. For me right now, real life experience with plants has given me so much more than reading about them in a book.

#115821 December 20th, 2005 at 01:05 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
You are right Triss, real life experience is more valuable and you are able to learn more. I use books as reference tools, and like to look in more then one book to compare what each says, or if a friend needs to find something they are more then welcome to borrow a book. One friend borrowed a book and didn't return it for 6 months.... laugh They read the whole book. I can't even imagine reading a whole reference book and then being able to remember what you read about anything laugh laugh laugh

#115822 December 20th, 2005 at 05:15 AM
J
J
Comfrey l am with you. The Readers Digest. is my bible. It has all the information you need. Twelve months of gardening with everything you need to know for each Season. It has never let me down yet, and I would really recommend it to beginners. Yes you are right we also learn from experience, l have learn't a lot from my mistakes, and they have been many :rolleyes:
Doreen.

#115823 December 20th, 2005 at 05:28 AM
I don't have a favorite yet, I'm often disappointed with my garden reference books. It seems that the climate here is too extreme and variable to depend on practices that work elsewhere. I've relied a lot on some of the concise Ortho reference books that cover the basics of one specific topic like vegetables or fruit. They're quick and easy to refer to.

#115824 December 20th, 2005 at 08:51 AM
For those with allergies, I recommend

Allergy-Free Gardening
(The Revolutionary Guide to Healthy Landscaping)

By Thomas Leo Ogren

it has A to Z listings that rate each plant for allergy potential and YES, it's zoned for all climates.

grinnnn

#115825 December 20th, 2005 at 10:49 AM
comfrey Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally posted by mich168:
For those with allergies, I recommend

Allergy-Free Gardening
(The Revolutionary Guide to Healthy Landscaping)
By Thomas Leo Ogren grinnnn
Oh that might be a good book to have LOL...All I have to do is step outside on a windy day though and there is enough wild stuff blowing around to keep my allergies active.

#115826 December 20th, 2005 at 11:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
comfrey, my favorite is the southern living gardening book. about 2 inches thick, soft cover. well worth the investment!

Link Copied to Clipboard