This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11538 August 10th, 2003 at 07:10 PM
lxygurl Offline OP
OP Offline
You may find this funny. I can't exactly say it is. I'm still in shock. My lawn has many small brown patches. I can't exactly say that I watered it on a daily basis but it was taken care of. We had a spell of rain for several weeks. But there were many days that it was just constant rain. Then suddenly no rain for a week or two. Is it likely that my lawn just buned up from the sun or is it possible that we have grubs. Most of the brown patches were there from last year but it did get slightly worse this year. My old landlord is claiming that we ruined the lawn and is holding my security deposit of $2300 because of this. The grass is green and looks better than when we moved in. Like I said, I'm sure you can find this funny but I won't laugh about it until I get back my money. He actually wants us to have the water turned back on in our names and go over there and water his lawn. Yes he is crazy but doesn't it sound like the lawn has a problem with grubs?

#11539 August 11th, 2003 at 04:11 PM
P
P
It sounds like you have a fungal disease attacking your lawn. A lot of the fungal diseases appear as round areas that look like they have died from lack of water.
If it were lack of water it should be pretty much even through the area. Droughts do not just attack small areas, and even if it did, a lawn that has turn brown by a drought, will return to green after it has been watered a few times.
If your landlord is a idiot and wants to try to blame it on you, what I would do is call you local Lawn Doctor Inc. They offer a free evaluation of your lawn, in hopes of having you as a customer, for fertilization and weed control services. When calling them for a appointment make sure to tell them that you think you have a disease, and you would like someone that is familiar with them to check it out. That way you can have something in black and white to hand your landlord, along with a estimate for treating it! smile
Be careful with watering in the meantime, a lot of diseases are enhanced by too much water or watering in the evening, or a excess of nitrogen (fertilizer)
There is also a fantastic book out there as well, for self diagnoses of things going wrong with a lawn. Ortho puts them out they are called the "All about Lawns" It is part of a series of books that they put out on just about every aspect of plants, and home repairs. They have excellent pictures, and tells you not only how to fix the problems, but what may have caused it in the 1st place. They are all written in simple everyday English, and very easy to use.
If it is a lawn disease, while I am not a lawyer, but I would take a sample of the lawn. ( part dead area and part live) cut it out with a shovel, and bring it to you local COOP Extension office, where they will be able to give you a report that should stand up in court, if it comes to that.

I hope this helps you out, and if you need anymore help please let me know.

Mike

#11540 August 11th, 2003 at 06:07 PM
lxygurl Offline OP
OP Offline
We are definitely going to court. We were told from one landscaper last year that there was a problem with grubs. Then they told us now that unless we had a sprinkler system, with the little drought we just had, that it would happen. If you look around the neighborhood, many people have the same problem and those that don't have sprinkler systems. At this point, we are not aloud near the property just so he can't say we are stalking him or harrassing him. All I know is that this guy is an idiot and has given me problems from day one and that i want my money back! Thanks.

Link Copied to Clipboard