This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11510 June 20th, 2003 at 01:58 AM
Ronni Offline OP
OP Offline
My tomato plants have been growing really well until recently. Now the leaves are kind of curling under and getting some brown spots. I've done my research and it seems that the symptoms are consistent with an ailment whose name I can't remember (and I can't immediately locate my notes) but the cause is ground that's too wet. We have had nothing but rain and more rain here for the last several weeks, and more cloudy days than sunny ones, so it makes sense. No cure has been suggested which is frustrating! Though understandable. How does one dry out wet earth anyway? Have any of you had this problem?

Also, last year my tomatoes suffered from a different ailment (whose name I also can't remember) but it was the result of inconsistent moisture in the soil--too wet, then too dry etc., the solution for which was to mulch heavily. I didn't get to the mulching until too late last year, and was going to mulch my tomato plants this weekend so I didn't have that happen again. But now I'm undecided. If the ground's too wet for them right now because of all the rain, won't mulching them inhibit the ground from drying out sufficiently to get rid of their latest ailment (assuming we ever see the sun again here in Tennessee!) Any advice?

Ronni

#11511 June 20th, 2003 at 06:28 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
This is just a very quick idea butt....
If you were to take stakes......say 4~ 5 or 6ft. tall one on each end of the amount of tomatoes (I'll say 6 because of a 6pk.), poke them in the ground and then get 2~ 7ft tall stakes, poke them into the ground.
Then get some type of heavy, see thru plasic.
put the plastic on the top and secure around the ends of each stake like a tent. BIg poles in the middle, shorter on the ends.
Gives you the greenhouse effect, keeps some moisture off of that basic area (a little bit, like an umbrella)
???????????????????????????????

Would that work??????

I'm not sure, I know tomatoes like it hot??
Weezie
Just an idea..... wink

#11512 June 20th, 2003 at 12:14 PM
B
B
Weezie,
Last year I fertilized my tomatoe plants and it was going to frost so I covered them in plastic like you said. I left the plastic up the following day, which was to be in the 70's. Almost every one of my plants died. I think it was the fertilizer & the greenhouse effect? Anyway, I think the greenhouse idea is great for organic or some fertilizer. I'm not very good for fertilizing gardens or flowers, so I don't do it anymore.

Could the upside down juice container work except instead of burying it into the ground so the roots get more water, have the water diverted away from the plant? I don't know, just thinking. smile

Bunny T.

#11513 June 20th, 2003 at 01:05 PM
Bunny,
It was the plastic that hurt your tomatoes..If there was sun the next day. You should take the plastic off right away..The sun heats up the plastic burns the plants.. wink Wow i love these new little faces that Bill has added.. shocked

#11514 June 20th, 2003 at 01:53 PM
B
B
Thanks Ann,

I thought it was a combination of the plastic w/the heat plus the fertilizer I put on. I didn't really follow the directions very well for the fertilizer and thought I probably burned them with the fertilizer and the plastic. Either way, I don't use the plastic anymore nor do I use the fertilizer! eek

I was very embarassed shocked shocked shocked shocked my Aunt who owned a green house said how surprised she was that I used fertilizer. Oh, what a bummer, I still get a sick feeling in my stomach! frown frown

--Bunny

#11515 June 22nd, 2003 at 02:23 AM
Ronni Offline OP
OP Offline
To mulch or not to mulch?

My orignal questions stands: Should I? I need to do it today if I'm going to.

Help!

Ronni

#11516 June 22nd, 2003 at 06:29 AM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Adding mulch is always a good idea.....do it! wink

Barb
barbsblooms@shaw.ca

#11517 June 22nd, 2003 at 06:41 AM
Ronni Offline OP
OP Offline
Barb,

Mulching has now been blessed--thank you!

Here I go! smile

Ronni

Link Copied to Clipboard