This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#114794 March 15th, 2005 at 03:42 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
What are planting in the garden?

I am so curious what everyone is planning on doing?

seeds,
flowers,
Veggies,
Both....

Brand new garden, already existing garden,
a little of both.......
got your eye on a pond, dirt or pre~form?

a statue?

Weezie

#114795 March 15th, 2005 at 04:16 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Here's my Veggies that I am planting:

corn (golden cross bantam hybrid)
corn (early golden bantam)
corn (gold 'n pearl_
radish (early scarlet globe)
carrots (chantenay)
sunflowers (mammoth russian)
peas (green arrow)
peas (alaska)
pole beans (kentucky blue)
zucchini (grey)
zucchini (black beauty)
zucchini (round)
squash (lebanese white bush)
squash (straightneck early yellow)
acorn squash ( table queen)
green peppers (california wonder)
peppers (grand bell mix, orange, purple, yellow, etc.)
jalapeno peppers (jalapeno early)
banana peppers (sweet banana)
pickling cucumbers (national pickling)
pickling cucumbers (market more)
swiss chard (bright lights)
leaf lettuce (black seeded simpson)
leaf lettuce *romaine type* (paris island cos)
lettuce (mesclun mix)
spearmint
onions (white lisbon bunching)

and Pumpkin (atlantic giant)

Ooh yeah, tomatoes tooooo!!
rutgers
celebrity
sweet 100's
beef master
beef steak
lemon boy

And here's my flower List:

African Daisy
Lobelia *Crystal Palace Purple*
Cosmos *Sea Shells Mixed Colors*
Cosmos *Single Sensation Mixed Colors*
Amaranthus *Love~Lies~Bleeding*~A. Caudatus
Swan River Daisy
Tithonia Torch *Mexican Sunflower*
Salvia *Bonfire*
Bachelor Button *Blue Boy*
Sweet Pea *Old Spice Mixed*
Morning Glory *Dwarf Early Call*
Morning Glory *Dwarf Blue Ensign*
Morning Glory *Choice Mixed Colors*
Nasturtium *Gleam Hybrids Mixed*
Nasturtium *Dwarf Alaska Mixed Colors*
Calendula *Pacific Beauty*
Snapdragon *Dwarf Magic Carpet*
Snapdragon *Tall Deluxe Mixed Colors*
Coleus *Rainbow Mix*
Portulaca *Moss rose*
Balsam *Camellia Mix*
Pansy *Swiss Giants*
Canterbury Bells *Campanula*
Cleome *rose Queen*
Bachelor Buttons *Cyanus Double Mixed Colors*
Sunflower *Mammoth Russian*

#114796 March 15th, 2005 at 04:30 PM
Hey-this is good-start to plan things out-I keep thinking and thinking but not writing anything down-I need to start planning-anyway-I have a border dug from last year, about 20 feet long, not too wide-maybe 5 feet at the widest spot-it's pretty much empty except for a few bulbs and misc. stuff. Between there & the back of the house, where I'm going to dig a border, about 15-20ft long, 4 feet wide-I'm going to purchase a "garden" from bluestoneperennials.com. It's something like 60 plants, 25 varieties, for $85. I'm also trying to choose a couple of shrubs for those areas too. I would like to find some interesting stuff for the front near the fence. The front of the house is just a nightmare and we need to rip out several shrubs that are just too old and mishaped. Then for the vegies: tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, eggplants, lettuce, carrots-that might be it-oh ya-and pumpkins-I have a real sunny spot along my front fence that I plan to fill with pumpkins and gourds-I may even try to do one of those GIGANTIC pumpkins just for fun. Do any of these vegies need to be started from seeds indoors? If so, I'd better get moving. I've got a lot of work cut out for me. We bought the house almost 5 years ago and haven't really addressed the landscaping very much. Planted a nice little Japanese maple in the very front corner, plus some peonies and scabiosa nearby. My 3yr old loves to dig, so I'm hoping to start putting lots of hours in out there-so much digging-yikes! Anyway, I'm done rambling-that's what I plan to do-I have to try to wade through the snow and get some pics-we'll see how it goes-wish me luck!

#114797 March 15th, 2005 at 04:45 PM
E
E
morning, whast am I gonna plant........well I will plant carrots, kentucky blue bush green beans. I tasted calalloo when we were in Jamacia this Feb so I am going to grow that stuff,lol. I will do the usual green onions and radishes, tomatoes both beefsteak and roma so when I can my salsa I'll have that stuff, jalepenos. red peppers I just love red peppers. Lettuce, and the rest of the salad stuff I grow.
Am going to make a new kitchen herb bed this year. so I will be planting oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, basil, dill, parsley, french tarragon so far. the right side of my yard I am going to transplant the climbing rose for the focal point then put in some peonies ont he sides of that, going down the fence at the corner I all ready have lilys. the front section is the shed and I am thinkin to put morning glories on the posts for the roof.
The left side of my yard will be a flower bed. It also holds my dwarf apple tree. an azaelea in fornt of that, and grapes down in the corner, I will fill it in with all kinds of flowers both by seed and by started plants. Between the apple tree and the azalea is the spot for Bandit, she needs her cool spot for when she is supervising my work,lol. the deck is going to be redone this year so Iwill wait til that is done before I even put anything in there. the crew tends to , oh shall we say, not see my plants. I lost 15 mums in front cuz of that. so that si what I am gonna do for a start.
wink
Elfie/ Elfinone

#114798 March 15th, 2005 at 04:59 PM
S
S
Hi all! I also ordered a few plants from Bluestone Perennials ( butterfly bushes, a honeysuckle vine, and some wegelia). On top of those there's plenty for me to do. Here goes:
hibiscus (about 20)
oleanders
golden dewdrops
allamanda
elephant ear philos
snow-on-the-mountain bushes
red sister cordylines
four o' clocks
gardenias ( laugh )
miniature roses
shrimp plants
Turnera buttercups
holly bush
tibouchinas
butterfly bushes
Confederate jasmine
devil's backbone
Mexican sunflowers
Mexican petunias
Mexican heather
crotons
periwinkles
flamingo flower
pentas
ferns
impatiens
more coleus
polka dot plants
poinsettias
black & blue salvia
copperleaf
red/green caladiums
Stargazer lily
phlox
nasturtiums

If I'm forgetting anything, too bad! lol laugh

#114799 March 15th, 2005 at 07:53 PM
I am planting flowers vegies and fruit:

strawberries,
sugar baby watermelon,
cantiloupe,
black diamond watermelon,
potatoes white
red onions
white onions
green onions
carrots
2 types peas
2types green beans
tomatoes beef steak
cherry tomatoes
broccoli
cabbage
lettuce
bell peppers
squash zuchini (spelling?)
pumpkin
corn
2 types cucumbers

i just can't remember everything i'm not at home i am in town right now but i live out in the country with the old old counrty style of living:
cuting and spliting wood for heat and cooking oil lamps for light hauling water you know like in the early early years canning food washing done in a tub with a scrub board the thing is i thumbup

#114800 March 15th, 2005 at 11:52 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Hi Rachel,
I would love to do all that you are doing in the country, *although I have often joked I probably would frown not have made a very good pioneer*
I can do all the work involved, but the first time I get sick and down with the flu bug, I'd be a goner, my seeds would die, the plants wouldn't of made seed and I'd be in the middle of nowhere's with an empty root cellar~ :rolleyes: wink laugh

Have you ever read books by Eliot Coleman and Barbara Damrosch? Four Season Farm.com
He has a couple of books out, The New Organic Grower, Four Season Harvest, Winter Harvest Manual, Keeping Food Fresh: Old World Techniques and Recipes.
I haven't read any of his books, *too poor* :rolleyes: but he's got alot good, organic gardening ideas.. and he does the root cellar thing and I would just love to be their neighbor!! grinnnn
I watched them on the TV series, Gardening Naturally, on The Learning Channel.

Weezie

#114801 March 16th, 2005 at 12:00 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Rozy,
I may even try to do one of those GIGANTIC pumpkins just for fun.
I had gotten some of those seeds last year..
2 pks, they said they had 5 seeds each, wellll,
they had 10 seeds each and only 3 didn't sprout.
And I didn't get them into the ground until late shocked (I'm slow) it was actually July :rolleyes: *I should back it up a bit, I had started them in 6 packs in my greenhouse in May/June, so, they were started, just not in the ground..

Any how, I did end up with 8 pumpkins, one was the biggest one I had ever grown, my husband had to lift it, now, it was by no means a prize winner but it was in my eyes and my kids... IT WAS BIG, I kept saying I can't imagine what size it would have been if I'd of gotten those plants in earlier...

Lot's of Compost, loose dirt, sunshine and a good fertilizer and some epsom salts.. and you're good to go and have lot's of fun!!!

Weezie

#114802 March 16th, 2005 at 01:51 AM
I've got lots of types of seeds to put out. Most I harvested last year and a lot I've received from my garden friends. Some annuals, some perennials. I also plant a few vegetables, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, okra. If it dries out enough I want to plant sunflowers and wild flowers in my field.

#114803 March 16th, 2005 at 05:21 AM
Meg Offline
Gosh, I'm not organized at all.. I can't even remember what I'll I've bought to get in the ground..lol. I have started some seeds indoors..
BROCCOLI
Roma Tomatoes
Bell peppers
Chile peppers
Jalapeno peppers
Cayenne peppers
Lavender
Tiny Tim Tomatoes
Wonder Egg flw
Hollyhock
Angel Trumpet
Jimsonweed

I also still have to plant..
2 kinds of corn
2 kinds of green beans
carrots

bulbs..
can't remember what all now.. few different kinds... daylily, peacock orchid, glads, freezia.. a few others.

seeds from collecting..
4 o'clocks
mexican hat
purple coneflower
red poppy
baby's breath

and gosh, I'm so tired, I can't think of the other ones. Must be the sinus medicine I took earlier.. it's doing me in for the night.

Meg

#114804 March 16th, 2005 at 05:28 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Meg,
You better get roto~tilling that 4' x 300' garden!!! wink laugh laugh laugh wavey

Weezie

#114805 March 16th, 2005 at 11:58 AM
N
N
I have a huge garden, and many plans for it this year..it is snow outside, so there isn't much i can do there for the moment, but in grandpa's basement I have a lot of pots. The first plants have started to show themselves, mostly poppys and some one year plants. Last year I started on my kitchen garden. I will have to finish it this year..give it some compost and divide it into different sections. I have planted some herbs indoors. Some of them are:
allium schoenoprasum
origanum majorana
melissa officinalis
lavandula spica
hyssopus officinalis
monarda didyma
ocimum basilicum ++ other basilicums
borago officinalis
petroselinum crispum
I will get some more herbs when the snow dissapears. Can't wait wink have also planted some vegetables: tomato, corn, pumpkin, salad ++
I tried to sow some citrus plants, and they are growing fast wink

#114806 March 16th, 2005 at 02:19 PM
Meg Offline
Originally posted by weezie13:
Meg,
You better get roto~tilling that 4' x 300' garden!!! Weezie
sca nutz Hmm.. I could probably think of a few more of those if ya give me time..lol. Umm.. I'm not gonna plant the whole packet.. just a wee bit of each? Only because, I don't even have a 300' yard! laugh laugh I'm thinking 2 10' squares for the veggies, at most. And if it weren't for the corn.. I'd likely only be doing one square. Hubby just shakes his head at me.. like I'm crazy. I'll figure it out.. one way or another. LOL.

Oh yea, I forgot.. daughter had me save cantelope seeds from the one we just ate.. she wants me to plant them. And now, I'm thinking, I love strawberries & grapes so much, why should I keep paying top dollar for them at the store, if I could possibly grow my own? lala lala

Meg

#114807 March 16th, 2005 at 03:20 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Meg,
You better get roto~tilling that 4' x 300' garden!!!
You better scratch that Meg, make it 10' x 600' ters

Weezie

P.S. My raised beds are; 2 of them are 4' x 20' and 3 beds are 4' x 10'....
And I am cryin' for 2 more 4' x 20'.........
if I cry just a little bit more, I might be getting them...

#114808 March 16th, 2005 at 03:55 PM
Meg Offline
Originally posted by weezie13:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="3" face="COMIC SANS MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Meg,
You better get roto~tilling that 4' x 300' garden!!!
You better scratch that Meg, make it 10' x 600' grinnnn I was reading (I bought a couple books recently) that you can do this stuff in small spaces, just go UP with it. I hope I can make it work. I was only going to put in like 1/2 or 1/3 row of each of the peppers & tomatoes.. don't plan on using them a whoooooole lot. But want a whole row or 2 of the broccoli, a row of carrots, and the space hog.. the corn.. at least 3 or 4 rows (and remember, I have 2 kinds of corn.. this is why I'm needing 2 beds.) Then, there's the green beans.. I have both bush & pole beans.. the pole beans, easy, will climb up whatever.. but the bush beans.. well, I may have to limit how much of that I plant as well. I hope they turn out good, and I get a decent amount.. but I have NO IDEA how to can/freeze/store/whatever.

I am not sure how the frilly heck I'm supposed to do the cantelope.. that's the one that is stumping me. It was completely unplanned.. and it takes room for that. I am thinking of getting a hanging basket for strawberries, just to try it out.. but I really want a trellis or something that I can do grapes on.

flowers, seeds/bulbs/whatnot are just going whereever, all around the yard. Lavender, I am using as a flower.. just for it's looks & smell. I have 2 varieties.. Lady Lavender that is a quick to bloom in the first year, and True Lavender that can take 2 years to bloom. I was thinking of putting lavender in different spots in the yard. The only other thing is trying to figure out where to place all these bulbs I'm getting! I think I went overboard..lol. But don't tell that to Steve! lala

Meg

#114809 March 16th, 2005 at 04:17 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Meg,
Do you have a carpentar in your family??
You could make something along these lines, for growing "upwards" with your strawberries???
strawberry tower

Then for your corn, you can plant your pole beans up them.. Just make sure the corn has a bunch of weeks head start, because the corn needs to be
strong to hold up the bean..
but inturn, the bean will "feed" your heavy feeding corn...
Stagger the plantings of corn and you will get succession crops of corn.. the next set of corn,
plant your peas on the sunny side of your corn.
That'll also help...
*will be semi~hard to see your "product" so search for them daily once they start producing.

And in the meantime, when your corn and beans are just starting, in between you can plant carrots and raddish's, the raddish's produce fast enough before the corn and beans/peas fill in to shade them.. and also, the carrots go down and don't compete with other roots...

I'd say you could do your cantalope up your chain link fence... maybe find Njoynit and see if she can shed some light on those, I think she's grown them up fences' or up a tree or something "up" before, I don't have a long enough season here for me to grow them.. eek

I would personally hold on your grapes until you become a seasoned gardener....they need to be trained, and certain acidy soil and a place they can stay....

Maybe later you can think of having a pergola seating area, and put it under the arbor type thing for your grapes, so you've got two things in one.. picture of a grape arbor type. My grampy had one, 4 solid timbers for footings, and 4 in a square at the top, and then used a heavy gauged fencing at the base of one side, up the top, over the top and down to the bottom on the other side..That's it..
the plants wher planted on the out side of one side and trained and allowed to grow up to the top. Great pickin', I can taste them now...
Here\'s another style grape arbor
Yet another idea for a grape arbor

For your flowers, I went to the $1.oo store last year and got alot of pots for flowers...
Tried to find a good bargoon on dirt though..
that's the only problem, when you have alot of pots/containers and have to plant in them, is DIRT!

Weezie

#114810 March 16th, 2005 at 05:02 PM
Meg Offline
Yea, you may be right about the grapes.. but you've given me a good idea what I want to do now for my patio. grinnnn I wanted to put something growing, all around the patio that I plan to put in on the far end of the house.. by my basement door. Hubby wanted a screened in/covered/extra room kinda thing, but I wanted it open, with planting stuff all around. A small concrete/something patch, and a glider swing w/canopy, maybe a small table.. and some little lights for accent.. and plants, just surrounding it on the 2 sides & back & maybe even over the top. flw (We are getting a refinance loan & hoping that we have the cash available to do all these "upgrades".) Garage w/dining room over it- sliding door from that to deck & hot tub below. Patio, storm door for the front door, and privacy fencing.

So, perhaps the grapes will wait another year. And I still don't know about the cantelope..lol.

Meg

#114811 March 16th, 2005 at 10:59 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Woman overboard? I can go with that statement.

I got way to many seeds I think. But none of the packets tell me how much space I need to plant them. Duh

And I'm not familiar with the plants for the most part so I don't really know how large they will get when they grow up.

I mean they tell me how far apart to plant them but without knowing how many seeds are in a packet that doesn't help much.

With luck my garden will include; Celosia (red velvet), Carnation (super giants mix chabaud) Honest, Baby's Breath, Chinese Lantern ( pot placed in ground so it can't bully the other plants) Torch lily, Ipomopsis, Zinnia, Dianthus, Amaranth, Moss rose, Chives, Mint, Bells of Ireland, Roma Tomatoes, Butterfly flowers, Ranunculus, Curled Parsley, Thyme, Cilantro, Marjoram, Cannas, Nasturtium ( i didn't know that was a form of watercress), marigold, green onions, hosta, peonies, tulips, caneldula, lettuce, bell peppers. See what I mean I'm sure I bought way to much. Way way to much. But how could I resist?

#114812 March 19th, 2005 at 05:30 AM
hi Wezzie no i have not read any of the books but i just might for the fun and the info in them. i have been out to the homestead planting and i till the land by hand no gas power roto tiller here just old fashion work, good for the body i have about 2 acers to plant, gonna make some jam this year too. the apple tree that is in my back yard is getting buds on it now and the apples are so good and juicy and make great apple pies. i need to go look for some recipes see ya laters grinnnn

#114813 March 20th, 2005 at 10:09 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Rachel,
Have you ever heard of a Broadfork from Johnny\'s Seeds
Those are very to use and break up soil very
deep into the ground..
With out distrubing too much of the root system..

Weezie

#114814 March 21st, 2005 at 08:26 PM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
unfortunatly, I am scaling down this year...I am exhausted and don't have the energy to fight the whiteflies (they won last year) I am sticking to my 3 raised beds for tomatoes, peppers, bell peppers, squash & eggplant. I am planning to try to start the landscaping project in the front of the house..just don't know how much I will get to do. My flowers are on the porch ready to be put in the beds but it is storming right now..so that will have to wait. I am extending the herb garden this year...that is what everyone gets for Christmas every year (and they love it!)So am going to add some new herbs. My strawberry bed is already lookin really good...I am excited about it.

#114815 March 21st, 2005 at 11:59 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
My flowers are on the porch ready to be put in the beds but it is storming right now..
sca flowers!!!!! eek

Enjoy yours for me, will you Vanessa???

Weezie

#114816 March 22nd, 2005 at 12:42 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I will if they don't get blown away Weezie...we are under a tornado watch...I need to go rescue them before it gets really bad, but I have been making bread all day and haven't had a chance to stop and run out there yet.

#114817 March 22nd, 2005 at 12:52 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I heard that this morning...
Your area, Central South...
Midsection, area, oh, I know I butched that
area where abouts....

But it was on the Today show this morning...
I thought of all of your around there.......

Banton down the hatches, and grab a hot cup of coffee and a gardening book.. :rolleyes: grinnnn

Weezie

#114818 March 22nd, 2005 at 09:47 PM
R O S E S!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! wavey

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard