This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11440 June 23rd, 2003 at 03:28 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Hey i was wondering how do you grow fruit from seeds? Like i have One mango pit and a bunch of cherry pits sitting in a cup of water and nothing is happening! I figured the water would soften the coat and allow them to start growing. I obvoiusly dont know what i am doing since nothing has happened! My boyfriend has even done the classic pit it a ziplock bag with wet paper towel trick! Can any one help this poor newbie? frown

#11441 June 24th, 2003 at 01:47 PM
U
U
I grew up in Florida watching my mom grow mangos.
After ten years we had over 40 mango trees, and so many mangos laying on the ground that my dad would ask the guy down the road to allow his cows to come and clean up the mess.
Mangos aren't hard to grow. They are tropical to subtropical so keeping that in mind helps.

One of the important things to remember about the mango seed is that it never enters a dormant stage like most seeds. It's always awake and ready to grow, given the right conditions.
Letting the seed dry out can result into failer of seed growth.

Some people clean the husk others don't. I never have, other than to make for easier handling. The way I look at it, it's all going to compost and be used by the plant. Neither I nor my family has had failure of seedlings due to fungus or such. That's not to say that all seeds grow, some don't.

The common way of helping the seed is make an opening in the husk. I used a pair of chicken cutting sears.
It's something like cutting a toe nail. You want to cut 'with the curve' of the husk, not into it. Cutting straight into the husk can damage the embroy. Just snip a small piece off following the curve. About halfway along the roundest side of the seed.

In my later years I quit this practice of nipping the husk altogether and just started at this point.....
Both ways work.

My family has always used potting soil instead of water with excellent results.
Either a plastic bag or a plastic container with a lid works very well.
Add the potting soil, then nest the seed husk in the soil, covering it. Add a bit of water then put on the lid or seal the bag.
A window sill is a good place to keep it.

Waiting for a month to see growth is common. Sometimes sooner sometimes a bit longer.
This young plant is very sensitive to handling. Do use extreme care in removing it from the bag and planting it in a pot. Even adult plants well react to their roots being disturbed.
If your useing a plastic container like a butter tub, the transplant can be a bit easier. Either way, be careful about handing the plant.

At this point the leaves could shrivel up on you. Being taken from the mosit insides of the bag into the open air. Especally in the dry atmosphere of a home.
To prevent this a couple of things can be done. One way to allow the leaves to harden a bit, is to cover the newly planted mango with a plastic bag. We usually just pulled them over the top of the plant and tucked the edges in under the pot, yet leaving some opening for new air to enter.
By doing this, it give the new growth plenty of moisture and some air ciruclation. After a few days the plastic can be removed.
Another way is to mist your new plant several times a day.

Do not over water during any of it's growth, but keep the soil moist. The plastic bag or lid on a plastic container will help with that. After transplanting keep the soil moist. Even after you remove the second bag from around the trans planted pot.
Simulating their natural envirorment is what I guess I'm trying to say, is the best way to grow your mango.

Be sure to keep the plant in a warm place way from cold drafts and low night temps.

#11442 June 24th, 2003 at 04:45 PM
G
OP Offline
G
WOW Thanx for the advice! Ill surely try it! its cool that you know so much. So ive had it sitting in water for the past two weeks now, should i still nip the husk? Is the water good?

#11443 June 24th, 2003 at 07:58 PM
U
U
It takes about two weeks for the plant to break through the husk.
Sure, I'd nip it. It sure won't hurt. Just remember, if the seed inside is going to grow, it's probably enlarged a bit in these past two weeks. So nip it very carefully.
I'd put it in some soil in a bag too. It's more natural than water.
Good luck. smile

#11444 July 12th, 2003 at 03:24 AM
F
F
Of course, you could always happen on one already starting inside the fruit you're eating. That's what happened to me a couple years ago with a green apple and now it is taller than me. Just don't know if I need to plant another to pollinate each other or if it'll do fine on its own laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard