This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114308 October 1st, 2005 at 06:37 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes, I'm mad - planting at the end of September - but they are things that will take root if we don't get a frost and maybe - just maybe they'll come up in the spring . . .

You know those things I call 'poppers' - well I can't get enough of 'em . . . I got a whole bunch from that wild spot down by the bridge - the city had mowed it all down, but I was still able to get a little weed . . .

Here they are behind my wild violet patch:

[Linked Image]

Direct link

http://img314.imageshack.us/img314/3687/backvioletcircle09303hw.jpg

And . . .

(Oh, I do go on - all year! Yahoooooooooo!)

Here is the planting I did behind the tree circle where I laid sod this week - did I tell you guys somebody threw out 4 rolls of sod and I got 'em? Well, I did - and I laid it myself . . .

[Linked Image]

Direct link

http://img332.imageshack.us/img332/2212/plantingsodtree09301ne.jpg

And . . .

Some posies beside my garden seat - butter n' eggs, etc.

[Linked Image]

Direct link

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/9924/pickinsplanting09300zd.jpg

Oh, that's enough to be blatherin' on about for now.

#114309 October 1st, 2005 at 11:54 AM
lol -- about harvesting the poppers, at first I thought you were talking about food. Here they have these things called poppers in the freezer section, actually stuffed jalipenos (sp?) with a crispy coating on them -- mmmmmm. Of course you can tell where my mind is? thumbup thumbup

#114310 October 1st, 2005 at 06:25 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
It's hard to stop - this being the first of October, I woke with the firm decision to STOP!

Not stop working - never . . . but yesterday's pickins' and plantins' will be the last for the season (unless something really sensational falls in my lap).

As of today, I'm going to finish re-potting for the window display, the give-aways, things I might try to trade at a plant school's open house.

Then, it's clean-up - raking, leaves, blah blah.

I'm collecting two pairs of duck shoes for us from Canadian Tire this morning - hopefully, they'll take us through the days-of-rusted-leaves this year.

Of course I'll be here . . . does the sun set in the west? I'll be here dickering around with my photos, asking questions, showing off . . . ahhhhhh! I love it - and yes, I'm addicted and will not stop!

Definitely not . . .

;-)

#114311 October 1st, 2005 at 06:29 PM
BUT I WAS STILL ABLE TO GET A LITTLE weed.. shk

Carly, I am shocked. laugh ... I see that you are keeping busy. I like plantings around large trees. We are getting frost every morning now so the only thing left to plant here are bulbs, which I must get to today.

I love the frost though, I like having pink blossoms on my hydrangea bush.

#114312 October 1st, 2005 at 06:45 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, New Brunswick - yeah, you guys get some rough weather down east.

Why do we Ontarians say 'down east'? Even the 'down-easteners' say 'down east' . . . you're actually 'up'.

Yes, my plantings around the trees - I love doing that, but I'm getting smart - I'm tending to move things that are too close to the trunks.

Other than stuff that grows naturally at the foot of trees, I'm making an effort to stay about 4 inches away. I doubt that anything can harm some of those biggies - those old maples, austrian pines - and some of 'em are pretty well finished anyway.

Well, let 'em die a natural death. I've only taken one of them down (Jeff and I, of course - I ain't super-woman - it takes 4 hands to do that kinda' work). That one was bald as me father for the last seven years. Still, it looked like it had some life in it, when we moved the trunk to where it became 'composting log' on the south lot.

Well, as I said in other posts - it's coming to an end today - 'gardening' will become 'yard work'.

Oh, about the 'weed' - yeah, you caught my warped sense of humour there - there is a particular weed that grows around here that looks like the whacky stuff - I like it, so I transplant it. I'd like to get a nice patch of it going - not to smoke, but because I like the shape of it.

I no longer indulge in mind altering chemicals - from a glass or a rolled up piece of paper.

I do smoke though - damn it; I started when I was 14 - I'm going on 62 now.

Link Copied to Clipboard