Hello from Princeton Minnesota, Im not sure what zone I am in, I guess you would say I am a novice gardner, I had a small garden this summer, a few marigolds and 2 or 3 pea plants that managed to survive, next summer I am hoping to make a bigger garden. Last summer I grew a sunflower that was about 11 or 12 feet tall. I do have 2 questions but I'm not sure where to post them, if there is a forum for them please put them where they belong, they are both about trees, the first one is about a tree my 6 year old daughter Kari broke when she was playing on it in early spring, it was a young tree (I can't remember what kind it is but it blooms pretty pink flowers) it's trunk was about 1 inch across and it was taller then me, Kari broke it off about 6 inches off the ground, I had found another gardening place and they told me what to do and It worked, over the summer it grew 4 new branches that are about 2 1/2 feet taller than the original trunk, my question is I somewhat remember the other forum saying to cut off every branch but one and to train that one to become the trunk, is that what I am supposed to do? How?
One of the new branches is so low to the ground it looks like it is growing out of it. The other question I have is I have a pear tree and it looks like this year they will actualy be good enough to pick, it started producing 2 years ago but the pears have'nt looked good enough to use, is there a way to tell when the pears are ripe enough to pick?