This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114111 February 2nd, 2005 at 07:06 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
Has anyone ever started seeds makeing mudballs?putting the seeds in them& poting them when they sprouted?

I was just bored.......and with all the rain.....and the roads such as they are....MUd.I thought maybe could start seeds in mudballs(and sure beats fillin cups with soil& such)

#114112 February 2nd, 2005 at 08:47 PM
how would you keep them from crumpling when watered?

I've been saving my toilet paper rolls and paper towel rolls to make pots with. you cut one end into 4 flaps and fold down like folding a box

#114113 February 3rd, 2005 at 04:17 AM
If they didn't crumble when watered, could the seedling break through the crust?

The toilet paper roll idea sounds like a good one. Duh [Could you use paper towel rolls for tree seeds?]

Ann

#114114 February 3rd, 2005 at 04:23 AM
D
D Offline
D
How do u keep the paper rolls from getting wet, soggy and fall apart if u water the seeds. Just curious

#114115 February 3rd, 2005 at 04:02 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
well for something tempoary like TP rolls..........
lunch bags coated with cooking spray.you can plant the whole bag in hole cause it decomposses.I've used grocery type bags too.I moved a pink& a white wisteria to TX in those grocery bags.set in a tequila box lined with a trashbag.I bet it sat there***counting months here...****5 months almost was dug Oct night before left..was Feb..maybe march..was 3rd nascar race anyway

The soil&"mud mass" I was thinking of was whats at the bottom far edge corner.is red clay,but has sand mixed in some.when its wet it sticks((I can even wad some up and toss at critters in the woods& if wad and toss on tree like a dart??well it sticks...even holds in rain)) I got a spary bottle...just matter of what size I want and if want streaming or spraying.

And its stopped raining now.so mud is less thought provokeing now.NOW I need it to stay dry so can turn veggie bed.I'm behind& I need to do the apple tree.I DID get up on ladder((No weezy.I didn't fall this time.I held on to tree with one hand most the time....and wore sweats under jeans for padding laugh BUT did commet that you'd kill me.....When got down to move ladder only 2 legs were in ground....sunk about 9 inches to one side& was holding tree limb to keep from falling into the tree. laugh )) I was painting cut marks for tree.I might get to it before it sprouts.

I've used paper towel rolls to stick in pot so could water the center...my hanging tomato pot had one last year.filled with gravel from fish tank.
never could get the hang of them newspaper pots,mine fall apart.

#114116 February 3rd, 2005 at 04:20 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
((I can even wad some up and toss at critters in the woods& if wad and toss on tree like a dart??well it sticks...even holds in rain))
Sounds like you enjoy more outside than just the garden!
We should be neighbors! We'd have FUN! thumbup laugh
(mud rasslin'?) laugh shk

#114117 February 3rd, 2005 at 07:18 PM
don't know I haven't watered any yet (I haven't planted yet) We have such a long season I just start most stuff right on the ground and cover with chicken wire til I get them up big enough the cats won't dig in there.

sometimes, I'll start my seeds in a tray. (got some seed trays I use for this). Then move to the ground once they are big enough. I've started some day lilies in just regular pots in the house this winter. I'll be able to move them out soon too.

I'll be able to plant outside here by middle of march, so I don't start alot of seeds indoors. (I'd like to I just don't have the room) Usually if I had trouble getting it up the year before I'll start by seeds inside.

#114118 February 12th, 2005 at 06:45 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey cindy...ya can be my neighbor.my current one leaves junk laying around.we told him he got till tues to clean that crap up(I'd actually be embrassed to take a pic....)you know we been on him about 8 months to clean his "hovel' up.He said if we didn't keep our yard so nice his wouldn't look so bad.... laugh cindy we got a great mud hole at base of hill.there's crows,hawks,eagles,that roost over the creek a bit on down in woods.we could launch mud balls!@ laugh Then I'd have a buddy to cruise the woods with.

I replaced my mud ball dream with jiffy pellets disks.are kewl.you get a meat tray of warm water toss them in,flip them over place seed stuff in pen top to push seed down drop some water on top to swell it back up and cover with plastic.I swear it looks like pantyhose stuffed with peat moss(makes ya wonder...if stuffed knee highs with wet peat moss and placed board over if ran board over flat and let um dry if would be the same.. Duh )

I been direct sowing already& cover with leaves.some things i haven't cause they need like 70 soil temp to germinate...unless need cool spell...and been removeing seeds from freezer for sowing,playing in compost...I could really use those daylight times where it ain't dark till 9.I keep running out of light...I done used the last propane bottles in lanterns.If I had a full moon last night.....I could have worked more& I got stuff needing re potting& here I sit. grinnnn March 18th week we go Lake fork....so If I don't return the26th..I got put in jail for plant nappin with the intention of preserveing shocked

#114119 February 14th, 2005 at 11:54 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hey cindy...ya can be my neighbor. we got a great mud hole at base of hill. we could launch mud balls!
Can you just imagine what fun we'd have?
I could definitely see some mud rasslin' in my future then...
...been wanting to do that at least once before I die! laugh

I replaced my mud ball dream with jiffy pellets disks
I tried those once. Had about two dozen of them with tomatos and peppers coming up in 'em real good...ready to set out in the garden that I had worked my butt off tilling up. Then, someone told me the garden was history because he decided a big garage was going to be built there the next week. mad I had an "Aries" moment and threw all of them at his truck, one at a time, from the deck. They make a neat "splatting" noise when they are real wet and hit a truck windshield. lala

Cindy

#114120 February 14th, 2005 at 01:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cindy---don't worry--I have some of those Aries moments too. Quick to anger, quick to forgive...that's our motto--and for me it's true....

I can't wait to start my seeds thumbup

#114121 February 14th, 2005 at 02:21 PM
Meg Offline
Loz, restraint is getting harder & harder. I picked up some seed starting soil, to go with my peat pots & little discs that you soak first & then put your seeds in. I was oogling my seeds, trying to figure which ones I could start how soon. There's actually a couple that I could almost start inside now, they say start 8 weeks before planting outside. flw

I didn't get any trays or lids or any of that.. I almost did, a few times.. but then.. I was walking outside & found one of my kiddo's unused colored/seethru plastic bins.. it had been sitting outside all winter, flipped over, behind the hose reel in the front yard. I picked it up because I wasn't sure I was seeing things right.. but there was serious growth under that thing, like it made a mini greenhouse in there or something! Sooooo.. I'm gonna take all the plastic bins & use them, since the kids never keep thier rooms picked up anyway. LOL.

Meg

#114122 February 14th, 2005 at 03:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Reading your post Meg, has talked me into starting a few of my seeds today....you're right--trying to restrain yourself is just too much work....lol laugh I'm giving in and starting some.....I know I have some that can be started at least 8 weeks ahead of time......

grinnnn

#114123 February 21st, 2005 at 07:30 PM
njoynit wavey

did you ever try the mudballs??
ground has been so soggy here just been pushing my seeds into the dirt with either my foot or hand. Been planting anything that takes longer than 21 days to sprout.

Link Copied to Clipboard