This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#114036 May 5th, 2005 at 04:39 AM
OP Offline
I finally got the three paulownia trees I ordered from House of Wesley yesterday. They were a big disappointment. They came wrapped up in baggies with sod, but then they were placed in a plastic bag with no "fragile" warning or anything. The tops of the trees were broken off. Since they were only about 10" to start with, losing the top of them had us planting only 6" sticks. :rolleyes:

I ordered two for my little second cousin to plant in honor of our uncle who died last year. He had been having a hard time dealing with it and I was hoping to help him adjust. I have potted them up until I see him next week-end.

Jim planted the other tree that I ordered for him out in the backyard tonight. We put a tomato cage around it so that we would be sure not to walk or mow over it.

I hope the sticks survive. It took House of Wesley at least a month to get them to us. Sure am disappointed in that place to order stuff from. frown

Dianna

#114037 May 5th, 2005 at 05:01 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
but aren't they suppose to grow super fast? I was going to order some.(but not from there)

#114038 May 5th, 2005 at 05:04 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Dianna,
Did you call or write the company and
complain???
Weezie

#114039 May 5th, 2005 at 05:13 AM
OP Offline
Yep, Vanessa, they are supposed grow really fast. That is one of the reasons we wanted to plant them. We only planted one, though, to make sure it will survive this clay soil we have here.

No, Weezie. I haven't called and complained yet, but I plan to. Don't know if it will do any good, but it can't hurt to let them know that I am disappointed.

Dianna

#114040 May 5th, 2005 at 05:44 AM
I hope I don't get in trouble for this. grinnnn There is a website that rates mail order plant companies. It seems this company does not have the best reputation.

gardenwatchdog.com

Gardencrazy flw

#114041 May 5th, 2005 at 11:26 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I don't think you will.

I put that site in my garden log under information because it's really important to know that.

#114042 May 5th, 2005 at 01:51 PM
OP Offline
Thank you, Gardencrazy! I was looking for a link for that the other day. I didn't know that House of Wesley was a bad place to order things until I had already done the deed. They won't get any more of my money! mad

Dianna

#114043 May 7th, 2005 at 07:05 PM
HI wavey DIXIE wavey flw flw

#114044 November 24th, 2005 at 01:33 PM
C
C
Dixie Angel
The great thing about Paulownia trees is that you can ship first year trees with no trunk whatsoever - they actually die back to the ground in cooler climates the first winter, then emerge in the spring to grow 7-8ft. tall. Mine started as a clump of roots 3 years ago and is now about 20ft. tall. Gorgeous in the spring - can't tell you how many people have stopped to ask about it. Also, you may want to take postings on The Garden Watchdog with a VERY large grain of salt. Lately, they have been accused by some very reputable companies as being neglegent about vendor flaming - posting scads of false information about a competitor on the web to discredit them. The best advise is still to check the company out yourself - ask questions, then make an intelligent decision.

#114045 November 24th, 2005 at 04:53 PM
D
D
The tree that you mentioned, I went to a class on trees. They said that that one dies to the ground for the first 3 yr. and then comes back in spring. So don't give the tree or pot it is in a toss, it just may be sleeping....after the 3rd yr. it really takes off.
Darlene

#114046 November 28th, 2005 at 11:15 PM
O
O
There is a mailorder nursery from Oregon called Forest Farm that does a much better job of shipping plants. They ship even their smallest trees (usually a foot tall or more) in sturdy boxes. It's always a joy to open their boxes and see the healthy plants. I've never had any problems with any of the plants they've sent. (except for the ones I neglected to keep watered) lala

www.forestfarm.com

Their catalog is great! It's almost like an encyclopedia. They have thousands of plants! (including 2 different types of Paulownia)

#114047 November 29th, 2005 at 01:47 AM
I've ordered from some of those companies...I have had mixed success, but I'm convinced that good bareroot stock is by far the best way to plant. They don't go through transplant shock the way potted shrubs or trees do, and they will overtake and outgrow larger specimens in no time. They also seem more resistant to stress, like drought. And they tend to be inexpensive, so if you lose a few, replant.

Link Copied to Clipboard