This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113453 April 3rd, 2005 at 10:43 PM
OP Offline
Hello all kit I recently moved into my first house, and am very excited to start planting things! I want to plant some flowers that will bloom as long as possible, and I don't think I want to get into annuals. I need something that will be easy to maintanance, since this is my first go-around with any sort of flowers. Someone had suggested Marigolds to me. What others should I look into? I have also been told that I should be careful because some flowers are poisonous to cats, which would not be a good thing, because I have 5 cats.
I want something colorful and vibrant! ANY suggestions would be much appreciated.
flw

#113454 April 3rd, 2005 at 10:52 PM
SN Offline
Welcome!

wavey

I think perennials are great. What I like to do is visit the local nursery and pick the experts' brains. That is how I find out what will make it through winter, what plants are native to the area, etc.

I love all varieties of hibiscus - (I grew up in the south) they are pretty hardy.

#113455 April 3rd, 2005 at 11:02 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi,

To make a really good choice you need to consider a few more things. USDA zone for your area because what is hardy in one zone is very difficult in another. Also alot of easy care plants can be aggressive if you don't have the time to keep them contained. Also how much shade/sun does the location get that you want to plant. Also the height of plant you want or if you have favorite colors. Also are you thinking of a formal type garden or something more like an artfully landscaped wilderness. Do you have or do you want trees as a windbreak/garden feature?

#113456 April 3rd, 2005 at 11:52 PM
R
R
Hello new gardener! I am new to the board as well. Just ran into it today as a matter of fact. What part of OK are you living? I lived in the Tulsa area my entire life up until a year ago when I moved south just across the border of Texas. I have no answers to your question because I am new at this. But it is something I really enjoy and hope to learn alot from. Welcome to you!

#113457 April 4th, 2005 at 03:10 AM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
Hey new-Gardner welcome to the forum:
I used to like in OKC. my wife raised about anything you would want as I was on the road for John Long. I know she had merrigolds(excuse the sp as I am not great at it) also lots and lots of roses along with a lot of wild flowers she loved wild flowers. But go to your local Nursery like Calloways or Lowes, Home Depot they will be glad to help you if I remember right you should be in zone 5 but may be zone 4 I just don't remember.
wavey

#113458 April 4th, 2005 at 03:38 AM
I live just outside Tulsa, (Haskell) where in OK do you live?

#113459 April 11th, 2005 at 11:49 PM
OP Offline
Hello, sorry it took so long to reply, my computer was acting up...
I live in Oklahoma City, in the Nichols Hills area. I am not sure what zone I am in. I have LOTS of trees, and shrubs in the flower beds where I want to plant the flowers. And, the bed is along the fence, so there will be lots of shade, and not much wind. Probably about half of the day the beds are exposed to direct sunlight, and the rest of the day will be pretty shaded.
I have been looking at Petunias, and Johnny Jumpups. Also, pansies are awesome, but I am not sure how long they bloom, and I want something that will bloom from spring to fall.

#113460 April 12th, 2005 at 01:18 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Hey all you fellow Okies! Although I now live in Arkansas, I was born and raised in Tulsa..(and love it there)I checked out some profiles and Amigatec, we have the same birthday!(except for the year)...so, almost Happy Birthday to you!
New Gardener...are you looking for small plants only...or can you use some tall flowers? I am thinking of cannas (which are a breeze to grow) or some Lantena which have flowers til frost.Bachalor Buttons, flowering moss, four o'clocks all do well also. Good luck...and have a blast!

#113461 April 12th, 2005 at 09:38 PM
OP Offline
Tall or short, doesn't really matter, as long as it's colorful, and easy to care for and grow wink
Ruddy, I'll check out the flowers that you suggested, thanks for the ideas grinnnn
Another thing; when I do start planting, what should I feed them? Miracle Grow or something?
Bone Meal? I have also heard people talking about using Epsom salt?

#113462 April 23rd, 2005 at 08:08 PM
new gardener...you are positively in zone 7. I have lived and worked in Norman most of my life, and am a professional landscaper. Shade gardening is, in my opinion, the easiest and most rewarding lsndscape gardening. Marigolds are not perennials, but work well with half a day or more of sun. Impatiens are a great choice for areas with shade or morning sun, begonias are great for shade and even fairly hot, sunny spots. Shade-loving plants tolerate morning sun, but not hot afternoon sun and drying wind. My favorite perennials for shade are hostas, bleeding hearts, ferns, shrubs such as azaleas and rhododendrons...the list goes on. I'd recommend getting a book on shade gardening, you'll want one of everything you see in it! Ortho Books have great photos, and they're cheap and available almost anywhere. With half a day of sun, you can grow basically anything you want...roses even tolerate moderate shade. Just keep in mind that direct sun from 1 or 2 o'clock until 4 or 5 in the summer months is too intense for shade plants. Go crazy with perennials and bulbs...think irises, daffodils, tulips...have fun.

#113463 April 23rd, 2005 at 08:21 PM
P.S. As per what to feed your plants...I beg you too look into organic gardening. I never use chemical fertilizer, and never use weedkillers on lawns or gardens. Your soil in Nichols Hills is probably fairly good,and you may not even need to feed for a few years. Bone meal is great to add to the soil for all flowering plants, at the time of planting. Lowe's has an organic fertilizer (I forget the name) in 5 or 10 pound bags, bloodmeal is a good nitrogen source. Consider composting your leaves and grass clippings, or at least mulch mow to feed your trees and lawn. Organic gardening makes your plants much healthier and much more resistant to pests and disease.

#113464 April 23rd, 2005 at 09:44 PM
wavey Welcome new-gardener,

you've been given great advice.Check out double impatiens at your local nursery.They are really easy to grow and they bloom all season.

Welcome peppereater.An organic landscaper? grinnnn

I've got 1 or 20 questions for ya.

Link Copied to Clipboard