This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#113142 September 27th, 2005 at 09:24 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I've been working on this, bit by bit, as I'm trimming up this south lot.

[Linked Image]

Here's the direct link:

http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/7351/southlotwildvioletpatch09269qg.jpg

I'll be back later to show what I did - it's not raining today - sunny and cool (about 68). I'm hitting the beach for more stones - as if I don't have enough stones.

#113143 September 27th, 2005 at 10:18 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's so cute...
I'll have to dig up a picture I have
in my lawn, I have a quad~drillion~ba~zillion
of those things, and can't bare cutting
them down until they're done flowering..

#113144 September 28th, 2005 at 05:20 AM
Hi Carly wavey Hope you don't mind me popping in here to ask you a question off topic. I was looking up something and I came across some posts in the archives where you were asking the same question last year. I'm just wondering if you had any success, and if so, if you have any tips.

It's about the decorative spikes we grow in the centre of our flowerpots. Did you manage to successfully grow them in the house over the winter? I'm planning on giving it a try. Along with my Geraniums. Not feeling really confident about it though. lol

I'm originally from T.O. myself, and when it comes to gardening, do I ever wish I had all that heat and humidity again. I took up the hobby out here in Alberta (dry & short growing season) and think if I ever get back home, I might be able to grow anything! lol.

Anyway, just curious about the spikes. Thanks a bunch!

~Suzy~

#113145 September 29th, 2005 at 09:28 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
The answer?

NO.

Know what happened? Right after those plants were put in some vandal ripped them out - remember the two red bushes? Oh, they were beauties too . . . well somebody ripped all four out - and it wasn't animals. the roots, the stems, leaves and the rocks I put around them were strewn down the walk.

So I never got to do anything with them.

#113146 September 29th, 2005 at 09:43 AM
N
N
My mother always takes her spikes in for the winter..and replants them outside in the spring.

But she says you have to make sure they are bug free...as they tend to hide low.

#113147 September 29th, 2005 at 02:11 PM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Yes - a common problem with bringing plants indoors.

#113148 September 29th, 2005 at 10:20 PM
That must have been really upsetting having your hard work vandalized like that! What's with some people? When I lived there, even as a child, I was always so disheartened when I'd see bus shelters and phonebooths, etc, smashed and defaced. I guess I'll never understand why some people don't want any beauty in their environment. It's pretty sad.

Well, I hope you had better luck this year, Carly. And thanks a lot for answering. I'll give the spikes a go in the house.

Your little violet patch is very cute, too. And creative! thumbup

~Suzy~

#113149 September 30th, 2005 at 06:38 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
I've done a bit more - put some stones in the back of it - that area is coming along nicely - someone threw out some sod yesterday, so I've been racing the clock to get it in - I had enough to go 'round a circle.

We had a bad day for wind today - and chilly too -so I couldn't do much but sleep. But early evening was ok, so I finished laying my sod pieces.

It's a tedious job, but it will be worth it if it works.

Tomorrow will be 20 celsius with no rain (so far forecast). I'm going down to that bridge and getting some more of those poppers. Then I'll have something to crow about.

I'm obsessed - totally obsessed - it's terrible.

Pictures later.

#113150 October 1st, 2005 at 05:02 AM
We got our warning that it's dropping below zero by the weekend here. The guy on the radio said, "Looks like this is it!" Now doesn't that sound ominous. thumbup

#113151 October 1st, 2005 at 06:18 AM
Carly Offline OP
OP Offline
Suzy, I actually live in the western beaches - High Park area - but I was born and raised in 'The Beaches'. Yeahhhhh! I'm a Beacher! And you know what they say - once a beacher . . . you know the rest.

I was raised in a house on Elmer Avenue - Woodbine & Kingston Road area. I went to Norway Public School and Eastern High School of Commerce. Then I went to Shaw's Business School which was at Woodbine and Danforth.

Did you live in Toronto?

Now you live in Alberta - and you're gettin' snow - ha ha ha!

We're 17 celsius right now (Friday night) and going down to 10, so said Harold Hussain (City TV) and Canada Environment - cads all of them!

The weekend is 20 to 25 - we're doing pretty good here right now and I have no desire to repeat any of that summer - the heat was terrible.

You're going to Peterborough? My older cousin and her husband had a printing business up there for years - it's a nice area. They now live up on the Severn River in the spring, summer and fall - Florida in the winter.

She is in her upper seventies - teaches line dancing, would you believe. He's over 80 (I believe) and is not well - I think he's terminal.

Well, if you do think you're going to make it down to Toronto on your trip, drop me a line so we can plan to get together.

Link Copied to Clipboard