This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11291 June 27th, 2003 at 05:46 AM
OP Offline
Has anybody used hair in thair garden to keep the rabbit out? I have a flower garden that is in the intersection right by where we live and the rabbits have pretty much wiped out my purty little flowers! I was getting my hair done last night when somebody came in to get the cut hair off the floor. Said she was going to try it in her garden. I thought it was worth a shot and took some home myself. Hopefully I can see a difference and then I will feel better about replanting. Let me know if any of you have ever heard of this. This morning there wasn't any rabbits out there so I hope it is working. (I didn't let my husband see me doing this, he would have had me committed :rolleyes: )

#11292 June 27th, 2003 at 08:02 AM
B
B
HDsporty97,
Welcome to the forum. I hate rabbits! I use hair in my compost bin but never to specifically keep rabbits away. I gone to the pet stores and collected their used ferret droppings and the little wood chips they line their cages with. I spread this around my garden and the rabbits won't go near it! Think of rabbits' natural enemies, and find some of their poop & pee. Spread it with a smile on your face and rubber gloves on your hands! wink

If the hair works, let me know, that just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me though.

Good Luck!

Bunny T.

#11293 June 27th, 2003 at 08:16 AM
Folks in our area spread hair around their gardens to keep the deer out. Supposed to work because it smells like humans. Haven't tried it. Just ordered Deer Scram and will be using it soon.

#11294 June 27th, 2003 at 08:36 AM
D
D
I've never heard of using hair, but I have heard that spreading used cat litter(once cleaned), is suppose to work. I had a terrible rabbit problem last year and then I got a cat. This year--no rabbits!!!

#11295 June 28th, 2003 at 11:35 AM
P
P
Bunny hates rabbits?????
laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

#11296 July 1st, 2003 at 12:26 PM
OP Offline
I put the hair out a week ago along with some new plants and they are doing great!!!! I think it worked laugh The new plants haven't been chewed on at all and the old ones are coming back. I may be onto something here!

#11297 July 1st, 2003 at 08:37 PM
U
U
I brush my German Shepard about three times a day.
All that hair goes into the compost.

I cut my own hair, and it goes there too.
Been composting the stuff for years. Takes awhile for it to vanish, but it holds moisture in the mean time. I'm sure it has some properties the plants like too, I just don't know what.

Link Copied to Clipboard