This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11282 July 10th, 2003 at 01:58 PM
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone !
I'm new as of today, live in the Pacific Northwest and have been dealing with several problems over the past five years of moving in with my, now husband, and his dreadful yard. Seems that, hard as I might try, I can't find a good way to ammend the soil here. I've tried peet moss, compost, manure and even expensive bags of potting soil, but it all seems to get leeched into the ground by then next planting season (we have a monthly average of 3+ inches of rain during the wintertime). In the spring when the ground is still fairly wet, my "other" problem seems to be sleeping. MOLES ! As soon as it dries out a bit..he's back and leaves the yard and flowerbeds turned over, upside down and seems to enjoy my tulip bulbs immensly...so...anybody got advice on either problem? I'd appreciate some feedback

#11283 July 10th, 2003 at 03:52 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Welcome to the forum. I feel for you concerning that darn mole. My prob is a couple gophers I would like to blast to kingdom come. Tried the gopher probe with poison, no luck yet! Thinking about those smoke poisons. Told everybody here...it is going to be caddyshack around here if I can't get rid of him soon. I know this didn't help but maybe someone out there can help. In otherwords you are not alone.

My soil...that's a joke....granite/clay is a pain in the b*tt. Just ordered a bunch of compost/topsoil and will go from there. Maybe adding a thicker mulch to the ground would help. Just a suggestion.
You could make a raised bed for your flowers the mole is after and at the bottom put a layer on 1/4 wire mesh or aviary wire to keep him out. Make sure you go up on the sides or he will just go over. Catlover :rolleyes:

#11284 July 10th, 2003 at 06:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
diagones,
Welcome to the gardening forum.....
Nice state,my brother lives in Eugene,

Look up a previous post by alankhart on castor bean plant......................

alan talked about it being a good mole control plant..........................

It's on the post I made "What are your secret tricks of the trade for gardening?"
It's about 1/2 way down the first page...

He says suppose to be what drives them away!

Check it out!!
Weezie
smile

#11285 July 11th, 2003 at 07:29 PM
Diagones,
Hi nice to meet u..Well im not sure if this works..But i have heard if you roll up juicy fruit gum (not abc gum).. Put in the mole hole they will eat it and it will kill them..Whats 25 cents ?? lol If it don't work not a lot money wasted..Good luck let me know if it works..

Link Copied to Clipboard