This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11261 October 9th, 2003 at 10:15 PM
G
OP Offline
G
hi, I am new to the garden forum, and I have a question I hope you can answer. Is anyone familiar with a lovely lily, called stella doro. It is a beautiful flower and quiet expensive ( to me anyway)around $10 a bulb. I live in an adult community and the developer planted tons of them and now after 5 years many have disappeared. I am on the garden committee, and we are thinking about replacing them, but the cost causes us to hesitate. I am interested in knowing if anyone is familiar with this lovely flower. chris flw

#11262 October 10th, 2003 at 01:43 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
GardenTina

Here is a site I found! 2 for $6.00. But I'll keep looking.

http://www.kankakeevalleyflowers.com/SpringBulbs.asp?NextPage=4

Welcome to The Garden Helper! Lots of great people here to yak with. Chime in whenever you like. wavey

#11263 October 10th, 2003 at 02:40 AM
Hi, GardenTina,

So glad catlover was able to find the Stellas for you at a reasonable price. They are a real favorite of mine because they bloom all summer.

Am trying to figure out why the originals have disappeared. You are supposed to dig them up and split them every three years but mine are such sturdy growers that I do them every two years. Is there a possibility that you could split the ones you have left? Its easy to do and they adjust very well to being spread out that way.

Good luck in your search. flw

#11264 October 10th, 2003 at 02:55 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Hi gardentina.... We meet again! Duh nutz

#11265 October 10th, 2003 at 03:36 AM
Just to be contrary, I guess, I have always divided my Stellas in the fall. This way they usually bloom the next year rather that waiting for the second year.
The following is a quote from P. Allen Smith:
"I've found that the late summer is an excellent time of the year to separate and transplant clumps of daylilies. By doing it at this time, it gives them an opportunity to settle in before shorter days and colder temperatures set in. Also by moving them in late summer as opposed to the spring, it's been my experience that they actually seem to bloom better.
There's really nothing to dividing daylilies. Just carefully lift the clumps with a sharp shovel and gently remove the soil from the roots so you can begin to see the individual plants. Then with a knife separate each plant and remove any foliage that appears dead or diseased.

Now just cut off the foliage at about half and they're ready for transplanting back into the garden. Space them about ten to twelve inches apart, put them in full sun and keep them well watered until they're rooted in."

So, it seems, we have a choice as to when to divide the little beauties. flw

#11266 October 10th, 2003 at 04:17 AM
G
OP Offline
G
thankyou to you all who replied to my question about Stella D'oro. Cat Lover, thanks for the web sites. they proved to be my answer. Bill, I don't know why they disappeared in some areas, but I suspect perhaps the mowers cut them too soon. Carol, thanks for your tips also. You all were a big help. I will let you know what the committee decides to do. kissies

#11267 October 11th, 2003 at 05:38 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Gardentina,
Welcome to The Garden Helpers Forum!!!
Glad to have you hear,
I was without a computer when you posted
and am catching up on my postings,
I have a question for you!!!
You said you were on a garden committee,
Is that for where you live??
Or in a communtity??
Either or, could you tell me a little
about what you girls *and guys* do on the committee?
And how you go about it, and when you meet?

I am looking for all sorts of infomation, on
gardening and committees, and like starting a
gardening club maybe here in my town
sometime after my last child goes to Kindergarten!!
Just looking for what you do, how you get to that
decision and how you like it...
And you say this is at a adult community, we have
one down the road and by our senior high school.
My mother delivers for meals on wheels
and we grow some extra veggies for
the seniors and looking for ideas on
things to do for them in the future!!
Thanks!!
Weezie gab

Link Copied to Clipboard