This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#112219 January 19th, 2005 at 08:23 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Greetings from the frozen North where it's currently -4C or 25F. Anyone else keep their curtains closed this time of year to stave off depression from the white stuff outside?

#112220 January 19th, 2005 at 09:10 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, Sorellina! wavey

Welcome to the forum!

I live in Kentucky, and I'm getting pretty depressed about the weather, too! I have a BUNCH of plant lights inside the house, and thinkin' the rays from them might keep me from going into that winter depression thing that you get from not having enough sunlight! nutz

Grow-lights for myself! laugh shocked
Actually, they're FOR the plants, but I'm sure I'm soaking up some good rays from them, too!

Nice to meet you!

Cindy

#112221 January 20th, 2005 at 08:57 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi again and thanks for the warm welcome, Grey Parrot Person. wink

I just clued in that I was supposed to write a short bio on myself, lol. Frozen air must be dessicating my brain.

I'm primarily a veggie gardener and heirloom tomato freak. I know almost nothing about perennials. I look at them, pray for them, and prune the heck out of them in Fall. I'm also pretty clueless about pruning fruit trees so I will most likely be relying heavily on any advice from all of you in spring.

I'm one of those over-eager types who like to start seeds way earlier than my zone because my roots are originally in Northern California where I can remember planting tomatoes OUTSIDE on March 1. Here I have to pace the floor and wait until June 1. Or at least I did last year.

I've never done the seed-swap thing but it sounds like fun and a good way to stretch that seed dollar.

Oh and if anyone has any advice on how to eradicate one's garden of earwigs BEFORE they emerge from the ground, let me know. They ate 3 successive plantings of beans and sunflowers last year. I was NOT impressed.

Other stuff I like besides gardening, but related to it include photography, gourmet cooking, canning, aromatherapy, and birdwatching/feeding.

Thanks again and cheers from the frozen North,
Julianna

Link Copied to Clipboard