This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11178 September 13th, 2003 at 12:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
For those of you who want to get a Christmas cactus to bloom, now is the time to start providing the environment to set the buds.

Approximately 10 to 12 weeks before the time you want flowers, try to provide lower nighttime temperatures in the 55 to 65 degree range and dark nights uninterrupted by any light, including artificial. You must provide the usual bright indirect light during the day.

Reduce watering at this time, but not to the point of wilting. Just let the soil get quite dry before watering. If you can provide temps around 55 degrees, then the completely dark nights are less important. Do this for at least 6 to 8 weeks and you will see buds begin to emerge and the flowers will open a few weeks after that.

If you have had your Christmas cactus outside for the summer, then leave it outside until night temps start to fall below 40 degrees. This outdoor environment in the fall when temps become gradually cooler and the daylight hours shorter is ideal for Christmas cactus bud formation

Note: Do not move or rotate your Christmas cactus while the buds are developing or they will drop off.

The closer you come to achieving these conditions, the more blooms you will get, but don't become a slave to these pre-bloom conditions. Well-established plants that have been in the same pot for a long time will often bloom without the cool, dark nights.

I have written an article on the care of holiday flowering plants (Holiday cactus, Poinsettia and Amaryllis) that I will e-mail to anyone who sends their e-mail address to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com

#11179 September 14th, 2003 at 08:08 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Will,
Believe it or not, I have had mine
bloom 3 times this year from the
beginning of the year!!!!
I have never had that happen before,
And I just moved it from spot to spot
and used that Spray~N~Grow.
Once in December through January when I
brought it out just in time for Christmas.
Which is regular time it blooms............
(I didn't use the spray n grow for that time,
just regular method)
Then I brought it out doors and it bloomed,
and then I moved it to a shelf out doors
(that was a dark shelf) and the next
thing I knew it, it was blooming again!!!
So, I'm going to try for a 4th time,
back at Christmas again!!!
Weezie
I think I like that Spray~n~Grow, but not for everything, and I still needed to compost my stuff like I always do for nutrients.........
(Well, out door plants.... I've topped dressed a tiny bit of compost for my house plants, just in the spring just before I put them out side and or repot!!!)

Thanks for the info on the Christmas cactus.....
I leave mine outside, just like you said, perfect for them and mother nature does the work for me!!
I like that!!!

Weezie

#11180 September 15th, 2003 at 07:28 AM
S
S
Thanks for the info Will, I am going to send it to my mom, she was upset about no blooms on her christmas cactus last year.

Is it possible to take a cutting from the christmas cactus? If so, when is the best time to do it, and how?

Thank you.

#11181 September 15th, 2003 at 10:52 AM
yep...you can take cuttings.i just do mine up in peat based soil mixture and keep moist and it just seems to happen....no rooting hormone needed.don't know about the certain time bit

#11182 September 15th, 2003 at 11:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cuttings can be taken at any time. However, it is best not to do it from late fall when the buds form until late spring when new leaf growth starts. That means May through September is the best time.

#11183 September 15th, 2003 at 11:54 AM
S
S
Great, thanks for the information. I will get mom to cut me some now, so I don't have to wait!

#11184 October 20th, 2003 at 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Will Creed:
If you can provide temps around 55 degrees, then the completely dark nights are less important
Hey Will, This is so true , The most stunning christmas catus I came across was in old homes where the plant was placed in a sunny very drafty window due to old windows and how the cold air leaks thru them ..

This plant is outstanding for it's amazing beauty ! I just love them !

#11185 October 25th, 2003 at 07:59 PM
mine is covered in buds and they are still getting biggerand getting some color to them
have another that seems kinda sick,It has red streaks down its leaves.I doused it in dishsoap water and rinsed it off and re potted in pot with fresh soil& washed pot out.it wasn't very rooty.so am watching it.it has maybe 2 small ity bitty buds.i made sure returned to same plant direction
so will....whats my red streaks?if need a photo e me and will send

#11186 October 25th, 2003 at 10:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
A photo would be helpful.

Link Copied to Clipboard