This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
This is an email I recieved from my niece..
Her husband is in the forces and she wanted to have people send him cards,
Please read the following note and I will add more at the end of the post....
Hello all my friends!
As most of you know Chip is in Korea for a Year. He has been gone for almost 5 months now. Well Christmas is just around the corner and he will not be able to come home. Chip has insisted that we send him nothing for the holidays. But it has been very difficult to listen to that. I was hoping that you, our closest friends, would be willing to help me out. Please add Chip's address to your Christmas card list! It is so special to get mail when you are gone! It is a HUGE morale booster! Also if you have any friends who would be willing to do this please pass this on to them. It would be wonderful if he could get cards from all over the world. Chip is a HUGE Chicago Bears fan. In your cards please remember to say, "How bout dem Bears!!" This is the correct spelling. This would add to his enjoyment!!
Thank You all so much for your support!!!
And Merry Christmas!

This is Chips address. It should look exactly like this on the envelope. You will only need a regular stamp on the letter.

SSG Fardink
Cco 302d BSB
Unit# 15609
APO AP 96224-5609

Thank You all so Much!!! And God Bless!

My niece is the one who's mommy died at the age of 39 of Breast Cancer... and she too developed it
at the tender age of 22... she had a double mastectamy and since has had other surgeries for more preventatives..
She's since went into the testing end of it, the whole family did, and found that all the kids had the gene and so her sister also has the gene,
and had a double mastectomy too...
The third, they watch dilagently as she's still young and would like to have children yet..
and the only boy also has had things removed....
She also had 3 little girls herself,
and they watch them also thru testing for this gene...

But with her hubby gone so far away after all of this has happened to her... she would get a very big kick out of it, if you would add her husband to the list...

Like she stated also, he's a big BEARS FAN...
and love's to talk football...

And
It would be wonderful if he could get cards from all over the world.
we fit the bill for being from ALL OVER THE WORLD...

THANK~YOU, THANK~YOU, THANK~YOU.....
MY CYBER GARDENING COMMUNITY FAMILY.... kissies angell

P.S. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me at the forum... (or post them right here)

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh, this will be FUN! thumbup

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yes it will. I so enjoy doing things like this.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I know that Chip will get a kick out of it,
but she will tooooo!!!

Oh, I would love to be a part of this. Thanks so much Weezie for starting this thread!

Oh, another thought. Does anyone else know soldiers who we can send cards to? Family or friends of family who could use some cheering up this time of year and lots of mail from the states?

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
I'll see if I can PM Jon...
He might have some in his company
that might like it.. *and him too*

Thanks so much Weezie!

Thanx Weezie, for starting this thread! I'll certainly get a Christmas card off to Chip, & I'd like to add a name to the list here, as well.

I too, am a Bears fan but I married into the Raiders so I've learned to like them over the years... (which is easier now that they've gotten past their "Roller Derby" style of nasty sportsmanship, that I thought they were into for so long!) ...so, maybe I'll send along a couple photos of some Raider "goons" that I took when we went to Calif to watch a game "in person" last month. (If Chip doesn't like the Raiders, he might have fun using the photos for target practice!) Either way, I'm sure that when you're serving away from home, in a strange land, anything from home is more than likely, a treat!

The young man I'm adding to the Military Christmas Card List here, is with a Medical Evacuation unit of the Air National Guard, presently posted near Baghdad. In his late 20's, he married just last year & makes his home in Cheyenne, Wyoming. His Father is a former Army Chaplain/Lutheran Pastor, now retired, also living in Cheyenne.

As with the address that Weezie posted, the address on your envelope should look like this:

Thor F. Rasmussen, TSGT
332 AEW/379EAES
APO AE 09315-9997

I believe that supporting the people serving in our military is a privilege as well as a responsibility for us, as they protect the freedoms we enjoy here & strive to help other nations accomplish the same. Your Christmas cards and prayers are needed and welcomed!

BTW, Christmas cards should be sent ASAP, as APO & FPO mail goes through a slow sorting process. (Although receiving any type of mail from "HOME" , even if it's received "late", is better than none at all!)

Raiders Patty, ICK. This coming from a Broncos fan! I will add Thor to my list.

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Being from Buffalo *and really not a big sports fan* My first pick is the BILLS...
But this whole family *spread acrossed all of the miles* reallllllllly likes the
BEARS...

How 'bout dem BEARS!!!! thumbup

Thanx, Triss. As I mentioned, I think it's important that we support these guys... especially the ones who are away from their families for the holidays. I hope the list here grows within the next few days, as more people notice this post.

About the Raiders: Ya I know, but that's what it's all about... competition! They aren't doing very well this year anyway, so as West teams go; How 'bout dem SeaHawks!!!! Weezie, (Too bad the Bills have had so many guys out with owies this year) Maybe football would be an appropriate topic right now, cuz it's just about that time ... (& might keep this topic from being hijacked!)

I have an appointment that I can't be late for, so I don't have the time to start 1 right now... too long-winded, you know!!! gab

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
If you haven't when I come back
I will..
*off to Subway to visit with the girl
in the next room at the hospitol when I had my
first kid..*
*and I'm packin' my son up to go to Boyscouts sleep out for the winter's weekend..
*talk about long winded, I am too..*
I'll check back..
*and it's an awesome idea!!!

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Yes...Weezie...thank you for giving us this opportunity! Isn't this what Christmas is all about? BUT...I hope that we don't forget these men after Christmas...I would like to continue to send them cards or notes as long as we can. I can only imagine how homesick and forgotten they must feel at times. It kind of reminds me of my soapbox reguarding nursing home residents. They are overwhelmed with visitors during the holidays...but fight tremendous bouts of loneliness throughout out the rest of the year...because a lot of them have NO visitors and certainly receive no mail through the year! So...I try to make my focus more on the Non~holiday months for these people.

~V~

You are so right Vanessa!

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
That is sooooooo true Vanessa....

I just applied at a Nursing Home to work
in the kitchen, so keep me in your prayers
to get a job and get my foot into the door
to be doing some more work for them there..

I would love to some little things around there
in the future, I have to say, in the future,
cause right now I got two wee~little~men to be gettin' after and a wee~little~mom as well...

I think it would be cute if we could adopt a company or troop... like Chips', Jon's or Thor's..

That would be so much fun!

T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hey Weezie,

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

& I sent off cards to Chip and Thor.

Hi all,

i know it s not aaaaalllllll over the world like other cultures and stuff but it s canada,eh!!

i ll do it from the bottom of my canadian hart and would like to send a message to anyone working at an airport like i am:try getting your hand on the bears and have them sign for Chip and send him...woooww he d loove it,i don t garanty anything but i ll do my gdm best to look out for them.

yes it would be wonderfull if we could adopt a troop and each our turn send them homemade food like cookies,cakes etc....

lets not forget thor,

it ll be fun kissies thumbup

Good gravy! I sent cards & letters (& Raiders pics - tee hee!) off to Chip & Thor today, & completely forgot to "warn" Thor that he might start getting mail from strangers!! I do hope that somebody has the presence of mind (as I did when I wrote to Chip) to explain where they got his address, when they write to Thor! Guess I should send him another card & tell him that I posted his addresss for all the world to see... but as good as I've been lately about getting distracted easily, I might get around to that in time for Valentine's Day! luv nutz
SOMEBODY KICK ME HARD !! confused (I really need to start wearing post-it notes so I can get organized... the other kind just get lost!)

Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
SOMEBODY KICK ME HARD !! (I really need to start wearing post-it notes so I can get organized... the other kind just get lost!)
That is ME to a "T"!!!
Only problem is...... I'd probably loose 'em!!! :rolleyes: wink laugh

Well I explain to boht of them that while I may be a stranger, someone they loved put their name on a list and was thinking of them here at home.

J
Jon Offline
J
Howdy folks

The concept is a very sound one. It has always been a big hit. The guys in Korea and other hardship areas are pretty much being ignored these days - everyone at home seems focused on Iraq - - even forgetting that we are actually fighting in Afghanistan - - more deaths there than here.

Even here - - we have some troops falling through the cracks. My unit - we are supposed to be getting direct support from a particular company - - I am in contact with one of their VP's and writing with her son and another youth in cub scouts that the VP is Den mother of. Yet - we have others who are saying "where is my contact"?

Don't take this as a complaint - please. It is not meant that way - - rather - just the facts of life are the facts of life.

If you want to send some cards - what I can do is take them over to the chapel - or simply distribute them through my own unit. I'll give you my address.

Wish there was someway to direct some support up to Afghanistan. Also - - while you are praying for the troops here - - keep the familys at home lifted up. It is actually a lot harder on them than it is on us. The other night, my wife told me "saw a headline in the paper and then I thought nope that don't pretain to me." She's been avoiding the news like it was the plague. And I know she is not the only wife doing that.

One thing that we really praise God about - - email. Lori likes to say "I can't imagine what it was like for the wives as short ago as Desert Storm or VietNam - at least we have the internet." Also phone service is pretty good too, which helps. We have one really old timer - served in VietNam two tours - like me - was called out of retirement to come here. He says "when could get to a phone it was stand in line for 5 hours for a very brief call" here - depending where in Iraq one is - may stand in line for a few minutes - or even upwards of an hour but no 5 hour waits. And calls are a lot cheaper than then. Still - - there are some here - like one guy I work with who has next to no family at home - no wife, no kids and he's 46.

Well, I've rambled long enough - again - thanks for the support you are giving where you are giving it.

Jon Watt

SSG Jon C. Watt
A 490 CA BN
APO AE 09378

another one - - he's a chaplain assistant and can put out cards for soldiers at the chapel
(best to use say a larger envelop and have the cards in them - - marked "to any soldier")

SGT Mark Lans
3ID Division Chapel
APO AE 09344

(this is Camp Victory - where I just left to come here to Camp Taji a week ago)

Again on behalf of all the soldiers

"Thank you"

J
Jon Offline
J
Another real hit - - besides the cards

home made cookies and such.

there are companies that send over care packages that are full of things that can be obtained at the PX - - almost no one has to go out and buy toothpaste or soap or deodorant - - so much is shipped in by companies trying to do their part to support the troops. But the quickest way to bring tears to a soldier's eyes - -

the personal touch sort of things - - so if you get someone who responds to a card or whatever, and you find yourself wanting to send something (NOTE, Please not asking for me - - my mom does enough for me) but that is the sort of thing.

The same goes - - towards Korea or anywhere else.

Jon

Thank you so much Jon. How big is a typical unit? If I were to send cookies, I want to make sure that I send enough for everyone to get some.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard