This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#111786 November 18th, 2004 at 02:43 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
yep, that's right, green house for $30.

here is a parts list, and then i will post pics..

• one roll of plastic sheeting (the translucent stuff)
  • one roll of duct tape, any kind..
  • 14 five foot pieces (or any other length, but no more than 8 ft due to durability issues) 3/4" pvc.
  • 2 lengths of 1/2" cpvc (it is more flexible than pvc). they must be at least 4 ft longer than the lengths of pvc.
  • 4 elbows (90 degree) for the 3/4" pvc
  • 4 ¾”x ¾”x ¾” T's
  • 12 "T"'s that are 1" x 1" x 3/4"
  • pvc glue if you want this to be "permanent" and a drill and small nails if you want it to be collapsable.

the instructions are in the next post!

#111787 November 18th, 2004 at 02:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
picture 1
[Linked Image]
picture 2
[Linked Image]

#111788 November 18th, 2004 at 03:15 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
  • lay 4 of the pieces of pvc out in a square.
  • Slide 2 each of the 1”x1”x ¾” T’s on one piece and then slide 2 more on the opposing piece (opposite ends of the square)
  • Use the elbows to put the square together.
  • Stick an “upright” piece of pvc in each of the T’s.
  • Stick a ¾”x ¾”x ¾” T on the top of each of the uprights, with the “leg” of the t facing horizontal to the upright.
  • Slide 1 T each on 2 more pieces of pvc.
  • Place each of those pieces as horizontals front & back using the T’s you put on the uprights.
  • Now, place a horizontal front to back between the horizontal bars that run end to end on the front and back.
  • Next, slide 3 (1” x 1”x ¾”)T’s each onto each piece of the cpvc.
  • Now, slip one end of a piece of cpvc into the top of one of the T’s on one of the uprights.
  • Going front to back (or back to front) bow the cpvc (you might need another hand for this) and put it into the other upright that is on the same end. Repeat for the other end.
  • Now, secure the T’s at ¼ length intervals (one on top and then split the difference) so they won’t move. I used duct tape because that is what I had handy.
  • Place a piece of the pvc in each of the T's as horizontal ribs for your “roof”. There is only one in my picture, and I had to go back and put the other two in.
  • Finally, drape your plastic over the top, with the “long” side of the plastic running from end to end on top of the roofing ribs. Secure with duct tape or clips. You are done!

Assembly time was about 30 minutes.

#111789 November 18th, 2004 at 03:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You must have been reading my mind! I've been thinking about how to build my own greenhouse(pockets are too tight to buy one). That's exactly the size I would want and it looks so easy to put together thumbup I can probably get my hands on most of the materials at no cost!

Thanks Jiffy cool

G-Mom grinnnn

#111790 November 18th, 2004 at 08:01 PM
I need a bigger one, but I'm sure for a little bit more I could still do it for FAR less than the $1,000's "they" charge for them!!!! I have a good sized space out back where nothing will grow where I could set this up--good lighting all day long. When it rains a lot water flows through there, but I could (I imagine) build a fairly decent "floor" from this scrap wood we have lying about!! Good idea!! thumbup Thanks, Jiffymouse!!

#111791 November 29th, 2004 at 06:06 PM
B
B
That looks spiffy indeed. Might have to make one of those soon - it's getting really cold at night here!

#111792 February 28th, 2005 at 04:23 PM
OK, my greenhouse cost more than $30. It cost me about $100.
BUT! flw
It's wooden frame, lots of windows and 8x16.
I was given the wooden floor and frame. Free!
There's so much construction around us that I was able to get all the plywood, 2x4's etc I needed. Free!
A friend was replacing the windows in their home, so I got the old windows. Free!
A local hotel was replacing their sliding glass doors. That glass was used for one long wall, the 2 ends and the roof. Free!
A friend, who's an electrician, wired us up with extra wire, etc he had. I now have 3 outlets inside and 1 outside. Free!
We found a double sink on the side of the road. I use one side for potting and the other side is for watering. Free!
Water you ask? How do I get water into my greenhouse?! Well! Another friend (friends are so useful!) works in construction and was able to get me a 6' length of black culvert pipe. Placed it so that it would catch the water from the gutters my hubby put on the low side of the roof. He also put pvc pipes in the bottom of the culvert and they go up into the grenhouse to the sink. A bulge pump will get the water into the sink when the water level in the rain barrel is below that of the sink. teech
Total cost:
$50 for pvc pipes, spiget and bilge pump.
$50 for chaulk, paint, nails, etc.
When I figure out how to post pics, I will post a few of my fabu greenhouse.
Barb

#111793 February 28th, 2005 at 09:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Barb,
If you go to one of these sites, *and there is other's too, just can't remember the names*....

WebShots
PhotoBucket
Imagestation

It's FREE to download your pictures too....
Then you can attach the URL from the place you choose, copy and paste the URL, then click on the IMAGE botton, and insert the URL into there.
*there will be a highlighted blue http:/ thing there, either delete it or click your backspace button to get rid of it

I hope this helps..
Weezie

P/S There's some other gardener's that do use pictures alot and maybe able to help you alot better than I did, Afgreyparrot/Cindy, Loz, Jiffy, G~mom, plants~n~Pots, Carly....tons of them know how and can give you a hand if you need it....

#111794 March 1st, 2005 at 02:21 AM
Thanks for the links! I used Webshots and put 3 pics of my greenhouse on it.
Hopefully this link will work...
http://community.webshots.com/user/safari_barbie
There are 3 pics. I'm very proud of the greenhouse and the rain barrel (not in the pics). I love the ingenuity it takes to make something like this for almost nothing.
Barb

#111795 March 3rd, 2005 at 02:10 AM
I bought 3 slideng glass doors for $40 durring the summer.We were building front porch at the time also.the slideing door was for a double window to be removed from kitchen.I lucked out on all 3.I even decided to give up on a GH was setting up then(since moved over the boat...I almost took part of it yesterday also) anyway.my front porch is 50 ft long.We enclosed 35 feet of it with screen(skeeters).so I bought 2 rolls of 6 mil plastic stapeled it up(and later had to vent the top across the front)wood decking does have some cracks being is newly laid.it worked well.on cold cold nights would cover with sheets& next yr will lay some cardboard underneath for more protection,but did use a bench for one problem spot.& placed my begonia the giant one under the porch light with sheet and light on on them nights.I'll have to cut its top to get it out in yard.it grew to 9 feet now.
I'd like 2 make a 2 story GH beside garden shed& do half of top as a loft with a railing across& maybe even add a porch balcony.I like useing ALL of my porch.I cleaned it completely yesterday.even the walls,but it was NICE out yesterday...unlike today wet yucky stuff.mudholes galore.just depressing.

#111796 March 7th, 2005 at 10:54 PM
E
E
I saw something almost exact at Farm and Fleet sunday morning. I have always been alittle skeered to try one. I will have to look into using them as i have no clue. Wish I did though. I would like to have one, but heck I don't have clue one as to when to set it up, and how to keep it warm enough to do anything with,lol.
wink

#111797 March 8th, 2005 at 08:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
you know, i didn't use mine much 'cause things went "fluey" on my 'round the coldest part of the year... but i'm ready for next year!

#111798 March 9th, 2005 at 05:55 AM
S
S
Barb, very nice greenhouse! Did you work on that yourself, or did you have someone put it together for you? Either way, very nice! wavey

#111799 March 10th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
Most of the work was done by my husband and our neighbor who works in construction. I myself DID get old nails out of the wood, set up the shelves and painted it inside and out. OH, and put all the plants in and decided where the Barbie and Ken dolls went. Well, HELLO! My name IS Barbie! thumbup

#111800 March 24th, 2005 at 04:23 AM
Originally posted by ServantsHeart2003:
I need a bigger one, but I'm sure for a little bit more I could still do it for FAR less than the $1,000's "they" charge for them!!!! I have a good sized space out back where nothing will grow where I could set this up--good lighting all day long. When it rains a lot water flows through there, but I could (I imagine) build a fairly decent "floor" from this scrap wood we have lying about!! Good idea!! thumbup Thanks, Jiffymouse!!
you mighy wanna use gravel or driveway mix instead of wood for you floor if much water flows thru...plywood,etc warps /gets slippery whenwet-even grows algea stuff.

#111801 March 24th, 2005 at 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Elfinone:
I saw something almost exact at Farm and Fleet sunday morning. I have always been alittle skeered to try one. I will have to look into using them as i have no clue. Wish I did though. I would like to have one, but heck I don't have clue one as to when to set it up, and how to keep it warm enough to do anything with,lol.
wink
my sweet elfie..it depends on if you want to use it year-round..but-inyour area, i think you could start plants in feb/march...you can use any kind of heater...a fan is a good idea for circulation,especially when using a heater.

#111802 March 29th, 2005 at 01:51 PM
C O O L!!!!!! wavey

#111803 May 14th, 2005 at 07:28 PM
F
F
Nice job on making that greenhouse. I have 2 small shelf type greenhouses. I found one for $20 and then the other for $15. All they are is 4 shelves with a plastic cover that has 2 zippers in the front for doors. I use it for seedlings and cutting starters until they can be planted or swapped with friends.

Link Copied to Clipboard