This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#111123 April 4th, 2005 at 01:34 AM
G
GiselaT Offline OP
OP Offline
G
This wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I started feeding the birds... :rolleyes:

[Linked Image]

It was three of them the first year, the gang above last year and now there's a herd of about 30-40 of them that watch my kitchen window from the neighbor's roof. As soon as they spot me making coffee in the morning, they land on my windowsill and start begging for food! grinnnn

They really tick off my cockatoo, who's usually on his perch by the kitchen window. laugh

Gisela

#111124 April 4th, 2005 at 02:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Duh well, they're birds right? i actually like looking at them now and again laugh laugh

#111125 April 4th, 2005 at 03:12 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
yep been there done that. And my dad ended up rescuing their babies when the cats and kids destroyed the nests. And the hand raised ones would sit on the garbage can outside the back door wanting to be carried around even after they became adults. One nice things about these is that they coo rather than screech.

Welcome to feathered day care lol.

All I can say is that if you quit feeding them they will move on, but otherwise they are yours for life.

#111126 April 5th, 2005 at 03:13 AM
G
GiselaT Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'm getting kinda attached to the herd...
They followed me around all day outside today while I was working in the yard. Their little hormones were kickin' up too. I'm not usually a voyeur, but it was pretty funny to watch. grinnnn The females never even stop eating, while the males do their thing...

The other day I was working at the table outside and something hit me in the head. I looked up and there was one of the piggys on the phone line...I though he was being ungrateful by dropping a little 'present on my head. Needless to say, I called him all kinds of nasty things and ran in the house to get the stuff out of my hair. Well, there was nothing there. So, now it looks like they're throwing things at me for attention! :rolleyes:

I know what you mean about the feathered daycare. A couple of sick ones have come to my back door this winter during some particularly wicked weather. I brought them in and put them in a box over the heat vent with some food and water. One made it, but I lost the other one. I felt so bad. ters

Gisela

#111127 April 5th, 2005 at 01:26 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
It's great that you took them in. Cautionary note they do carry pests.

Were they throwing something at you or was one of them doing the dive and swoop? They are capable of some really close flying to get your attention.

Does your group have a leader? The herd we accumulated had one with a white head who definitely lead the pack.

#111128 April 6th, 2005 at 06:58 AM
G
GiselaT Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Yeah, I know about the pests -- I'm real careful, because I've got 6 parrots and I won't take a chance on exposing them to anything. I disinfected everything from the back door to the bathroom, myself included! wink

I haven't seen them swoop at me, but sometimes they actually hover around me, like some kind of weird mutant giant hummingbirds... :rolleyes:

There's definitely a leader in my herd. I call him The Sheik. He seems to have quite a harem.

Gisela

#111129 April 11th, 2005 at 04:47 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Yep their hover is very entertaining. It's like they want to look you in the eye and let you know what's going on. And what is suppose to be going on. In some ways they remind me of cats, once they attach themselves to a person. That's their person and she's suppose to meet all their needs. I love birds. You have 6 Parrots? I envy you everything but the clean up lol.

Link Copied to Clipboard