This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#111101 April 29th, 2005 at 11:08 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
I was just going through my e-mail and I have a response from Kacey at the Parrot Rescue up in Maryland. I'll be meeting up with Brian who runs the operation on the weekend of May 7th & 8th. It's at a street fair(?) up in Alexandria, Virginia. It's going to be a long trip for me but I'm going to try. It'll cost about 40.00 round trip but I would love to have a parrot if we can figure out how: I can do the volunteer hours required with the birds, find a vet in my area that can care for it, set aside enough money for at least one unexpected vet bill along with his house, toys, goodies, furniture and 3 months supply of food and the adoption fee.

I look at the list and I know I'm doomed. But at least I'll have had a nice visit with some beautiful birds and someone who loves them.

#111102 April 30th, 2005 at 12:30 AM
J
J
TK, we have an organisation over here called The Blue cross, where you get your pets treated free, providing you can prove you are unable to pay. Have you got something like that over there? if so, you could have a parrot. As for the cage and everything else surely the sanctuary would help out, providing they know it is going to a caring home?

#111103 April 30th, 2005 at 01:38 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
What a fantastic organization. I wish but no we don't. And the rescue organizations are constantly looking for cages and toys for their own needs. I'm kind of looking at it from the stance that if it is to be, it will be. And letting God have a hand in its making.

#111104 April 30th, 2005 at 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh WOW...that would be soooo cool thumbup I'd love to have a parrot,but we have a Bird Dog(Lab),so it wouldn't really be able to get out and about. They are very social birds and it wouldn't be very happy caged up all the time.

Oooh,I hope you get one... thumbup grinnnn

#111105 April 30th, 2005 at 02:18 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
No you can't cage them up. I grew up in a zoo-like setting. the cats bed was underneath the bird cage, the bird rode the dog around the house and ate out of my cereal bowl. The squirrels came in the house when I didn't get outside fast enough to feed them. The ferole cat and her kittens got shots from the vet. Pigeons used the roof as a landing pad. Very strange household to say the least.

#111106 April 30th, 2005 at 02:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
It sounds wonderful...I'd love to have a home like that!

I bet there was alot of laughter in that home thumbup

G-Mom grinnnn

#111107 April 30th, 2005 at 03:19 PM
SN Offline
Tammy,

I don't have any birds but think they are great.

Is there a freecycle list for your area?

On mine they have given away all different kinds of stuff for birds, including cages.

And on my lists you are allowed to post "wanteds" so, that may be the case by you too.

I will check and see what lists there are for VA and email them to you.

This could also be a way to find some more chinese lantern seeds.

Freecycle is very interesting. I went to pick up an old sandbox (over 35 years old, made out of some kind of study man-made material, and the person also offered me two miniature (cast iron/wood) partk-bench style benches and a matching table. Needs sanding and refinishing or painting. Going to be my project. I will try to take a picture of before and after.

It was a winning situation, they were going to the landfill if I did not take them...

#111108 April 30th, 2005 at 03:40 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Wow, you found treasure. I really love it when that happens. That's a great treasure. Hope you get the before and after shots. I'm feeling kind of lonesome down in arts & crafts lol. Evertime I look at my "found" candleholder I mentally rub my hands together and tee hee just like a pirate. Thank you for the post.

#111109 April 30th, 2005 at 04:29 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
No G-mom the home wasn't a happy one unfortunately. But you learn to take love where you can find it and the animals give a lot of love. I found the freecycle site and signed up with 2 groups since it seems my town is covered by both. I see you have to offer before you can list a want. That is a very good idea. I am going to watch the dumpster for more goodies. There are a lot of things I pass by because I don't need them. The landlord brings all the stuff from his rentals that people leave behind. All of his storage units are full so a lot of things go to the dump that have a lot of life left in them. And with moving costs doubling in the last few years a bunch of stuff is being left behind. I really wish now I had saved those brass plant stands that he threw away but I didn't. I don't want to post an offer for wallpaper paste, although I have most of the bucket left after we redecorated the bathroom.

#111110 April 30th, 2005 at 06:07 PM
you should look at the auction listings for your area. The last 3 auctions that I've gone to have had bird cages....BIG ones, and they've gone for dirt cheap. Our auctions are listed in the Merchandiser.....do you get that??

#111111 April 30th, 2005 at 08:28 PM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
OP Offline
Official Blabber Mouth
T
That sounds like a fun adventure. Unfortunately I can't drive and taxies are very expensive. So when I go I pretty much have to make sure they have the item I need. Otherwise I've spent between 20.00 and 40.00 dollars for travel and come home with nothing or even worse something I really don't need.

#111112 April 30th, 2005 at 08:33 PM
SN Offline
Sent you the freecycle lists for VA. Also, I wanted to mention, sometimes people are willing to drop off an item they are giving away, if it is close enough for them.

Good luck with it!

Link Copied to Clipboard