This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11054 August 10th, 2003 at 12:24 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
ok whos heard of mayonaise as a treatment for a plant and what the H@## does it do?

my mom has a orchiad(not my area at all)my cuz grows lots of them down in FL and told her to wipe mayonaise on the leaves and wipe it all off and should solve problem.......makes me scratch me head& go HMMmmmmmmm.
her orchid plant has tan spots on leaves,,,claims is not brown but tan and sees no signs of bugs at all.she has no idea what kind it is or as to the flower it gets if& when it gets one...was a gift from someone she did geneology for.she said looks like is planted in petmoss& my step dad waters it daily(by the way he waters everything daily weather it needs it or not)

#11055 August 10th, 2003 at 01:29 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
njoynit,
I have heard of mayo on the leaves for cleaning them off and shinning them up, (like for showing them or display)
I personally have not heard of it curing any thing????
I'm not sure of the watering practices, maybe Will Creed can answer (repost this in the Houseplant section) or maybe Papito or the The plant Doctor will stop by..........

Weezie
P.S. I have heard of mayo in the hair for it too, to help it look shiney, maybe try some, it may stop you from scratching your head and going HMMmmmmmmmmmm!!!
LOL *BIG SMILE*
Weezie wink wink

#11056 August 11th, 2003 at 07:30 AM
P
P
Mayonnaise is generally used to make the leaves of houseplants shiny, but so are egg white, banana peel, olive oil and glycerin.

I will be back for the problem on the tan spot. But i think it is caused by fungus, possibly Phyllostica capitalensis. If your Stepdad overwaters, the resulting moisture highly favors the presence of fungus.

#11057 August 11th, 2003 at 04:23 PM
P
P
I agree with Papito, it does sound like a fungal disease, most of which are brought on by excess watering or humidity. Putting wiping mayo on the leaves, will shine it up but do nothing for the actual problem. In truth if any residue is left it may actually make it worse. as it could act as a medium for the disease to grow in.

I am not very familiar with orchids, as they are almost a science in their own right. You may want to do a search on diseases of orchids, and see if you can come up with a pic that looks similar. Then treat it accordingly.

Hope this helps

Mike

#11058 August 12th, 2003 at 02:06 PM
njoynit Offline OP
OP Offline
I've heard orchiads are a whole nother realm to grow and have not even decided to venture there.though they would like my climate in summer and can hear hubby complain when would be makeing boxes to hang on trees for them smile
friday they leave on vacation for a week....maybe this is a break the plant has been waiting for.I would think if was fungas problem would be in soil also would a soil change help maybe?
least i know how to dress my plants now....dress them in mayo for a sleek evening out...LOL laugh
mayo might do good in hair.remember doing face in mayo and my date showed up early boy was i embarressed,could have killed sis though....she knew was mayo mask and said to him i was ready! mad

Link Copied to Clipboard