This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11045 May 18th, 2003 at 08:09 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If anyone wants to get a really easy growing plant then the wandering jew or bolivian jew are the plants to get....both are really good in hanging baskets--indoors is fine too...the trail over the sides...The wandering jew is purple and silver leaves and the bolivian jew is just green....i love both though and you can just cut off a stem and place it in water until it grows roots...I bought 1 of each 4 yrs ago and have easily had 30 plants of each one....for me and gifts to others, well worth the money...grow best in good sunlight, but I had some inside in artificial light that grew fine, just not as big....I just wish they were easier to find...walmart and lowes don't have any yet.....my original plants are all gone....hope to find some soon....hope you like them.... smile

#11046 May 25th, 2003 at 06:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I finally got some more of these plants, but i had to go to the local nursery to find them......they were really expensive, but let me tell you how much they were worth it....we went lowes and they had some out and they looked awful, they were only 6 dollars--but they didn't look good at all. The ones that I got are huge and healthy....I have them hanging on my back porch and I have started a whole bunch of cuttings....I am going to put them in alternating baskets going down my fence outside.....they are great indoors but really need to be near a window, artificial light doesn't really work that well....hope that someone responds and loves the purple-silver colored plant as much as I do..... wink

#11047 May 25th, 2003 at 04:22 PM
C
C
I just love my wandering jew. The thing is HUGE!!! they are hard to find, and it took me about 2 months to find one, but it was well worth the wait. I am able to root them in about 1 week. They are so pretty and durable. Its a shame they are so hard to find. mine was a scragly one to say the least, but with some TLC it perked right up and just georgeous.. good luck!!!! laugh

#11048 May 25th, 2003 at 05:47 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
loz, I as well own two wandering jews. My friend gave me a clipping a year ago and now I have 2 baskets full going. They are very hardy. Catlover cool

#11049 May 25th, 2003 at 06:19 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
loz,
Have you gotten any flowers from these wandering jews??
They are a very pretty flower at the very end of each strand. White and a bit of purple and the stamen is a little yellow if I remember correctly.....Very delicate. I never knew it flowered until.....one year it did..... I can't remember if I did anything special to achieving the flower but enoyed it as well.
Happy Gardening!!
Weezie smile

#11050 May 25th, 2003 at 07:27 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Weezie, I have never been lucky enough to see any of them flower although I have had tons of them growing....I give them away to my friends....even the ones who insist they can't grow anything can't mess these up...I have them hanging on my rear balcony primarily for the fact that they don't flower, that way they don't attract so many bees. I would feel really special if they did flower though....ha ha ha....cassviola, yes they are very hard to find for some reason....I looked for about a month before I finally went to the nursery and paid a ton of money for them....catlover--it is always nice to get clippings of plants.....I am in the process of starting some for my friends.....I always feel funny asking someone were the wandering jews are, it seems like such a funny name....the bolivian jew is nice, and easy to grow also...I have a few of them too, they aren't quite as pretty but they are good plants too, check them out and see if you like them...hope everyone is having fun gardening.....I love it, but we are getting a ton of rain again.......bring the sun this way!!!!! :p

#11051 June 6th, 2003 at 09:15 PM
R
R
A couple of years ago, I was walking into a Home Depot store where they had just brought out a large number of Wandering Jew plants. The floor was covered with broken off pieces. I inquired if I could have them--and brought home a bagful!! smile
Needless to say, I put some in water, some in perlite and some in soil--they ALL took root and I am now fighting to survive before they take me over, too!!
I put them outside in the spring and they get HUGE, cut them back mercilessly in the fall and bring in and water less frequently.

Of course, I again root the clippings........

Many gifts to many friends.

And all free smile laugh

#11052 June 26th, 2003 at 07:58 AM
K
K
Roseredden, that's the way I got mine, too! smile Mine came from the parking lot of a fruit/veggie/flower stand.

#11053 June 26th, 2003 at 11:21 AM
Have had purple wandering Jew for at least 30 years. Threw some cuttings away several years ago and got such a surprise the following year when they emerged from the ground on their own, right where I had dropped them. Would never expect to see this in zone 6. Have never tried to plant them anywhere else but those same ones continue to come up every year. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard