This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11040 October 13th, 2002 at 08:04 PM
E
Erik F Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Not long ago, a bird of paradise in my yard was damaged by some construction workers. Most of the stalks were broken near the tops so the leaves are now hanging down limp. Its been a month or so and those leaves are still green. The plant it more than 10 years old and I was hoping to see it bloom again.

My question is, since im a novice, what do I do about the broken stalks? Do I cut them down to the base of the plant? Do I leave them be? Do I try to bend them back into shape and support them with something?

P
P
If it has been a month and they are still green, it probably means that they are still working leaves. I would go ahead and try to support them.
I don't think staking or shoring them up will work however. Instead try using a large tomatoe cage. Cut thru the wire on one side and carefully put the leaves thru the openings them go ahead and push the stakes into the ground. That should give it the support that it needs.
I also would not give it any more fertilizer this season. But however I would give it some bone meal. this will help encorage root growth which will make a healthier plant. If the plant was severly damaged it may not bloom anymore this season. but at least you should be able to save your plant. ( I am not too sure on care in your zone, so I am giving generic help)

Good Luck smile
Mike

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Erik I hope your bird of paradise has come back. Just a word of encouragement. My parents had several of these plants for over 30 years and one area needed to be cleared so I cut them down within a foot from the ground and believe it or not that plant came back healthier than ever. Decided they wanted to live so I left them alone. Let me know what happened. Karen

The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Erik did your bird of paradise make it? Curious catlover, Karen cool

E
Erik F Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I'm happy to report that the plant is doing well and has given me about 5 birds so far. I see some more flower stalks too that have yet to bloom. Many of the leaf stalks are still bent, but in general, the plant is happy now that its getting some TLC.

Also, any leaf stalks that turned brown I yanked out. Yay for birds =)

Link Copied to Clipboard