This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#11006 September 19th, 2003 at 07:26 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Sorry for the repeat posting--I realized my questions may be overlooked because of the subject line, so I copied my problems/questions into a new message.

I have a rubber tree and a croton that I am particularly concerned about. Both are from my grandmother's funeral--a little over 10 months ago. I REALLY don't want to lose these (if it is at all possible to save them)--I have already lost a corn plant/draecena(?).

The rubber tree has lost all its leaves. I think it's dead--I just haven't admitted it yet. The croton has lost leaves from two of the stems. The third stem lost one leaf about a month ago, but hasn't lost any since. It hasn't put out new growth since November.

I repotted both back in January--After that, the rubber tree started doing better.

Then in June, when one of the stems had lost all its leaves, I cut it back and tried to root the pieces of the stem that I cut. That wasn't successful--in fact, it was after that that the leaves started dropping from the 4 or 5 remaining stems of the tree. The stems are not putting out new growth and are shriveling up. I still water it when the soil gets dry, but I have a feeling it is pointless at this point.--but at the same time, if there is anything that can still be done to save it, I want to try it before I dump the dirt and start over.

As for the Croton, I hope there is still time to save it.

Additionally, neither of the pots are self draining--which I realize now is a bad thing for plants. Should I try to repot or is it too late?

Any advice/help would be VERY much appreciated.

(My apologies for such a long post.)

#11007 September 19th, 2003 at 11:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
No apologies necessary; your last comment about the drainless pots was very important information.

Keeping potted plants in pots without an outlet for excess water is a definite no-no. It is almost a guarantee that your plants will develop root rot.

Unpot both plants and look at the roots. They are probably soft and mushy. If so, discard them. If there are some roots that are firm, then remove all excess soil and mushy roots. Move it into a smaller pot (with drainage holes, of course) that is just large enough for the slimmed down rootball to fit into. Fill in the spaces with a peat-based, soilless potting mix, such as Pro-Mix.

Both plants need lots of light, but the Croton must have direct sun for most of the day to maintain its color.

Good luck!

#11008 September 21st, 2003 at 10:54 PM
N
N
Hi Stitchin,

Great advice from Will. You might also want to take a look at this site for some helpful info.

http://www.ourgardengang.com/houseplants.htm

Newt

Link Copied to Clipboard