This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#110013 September 20th, 2005 at 08:34 AM
OP Offline
Hey everyone!

I just found this site this weekend, and I heard that "this" was the place to be.

I figure we all have gardening in common, that is cool! Im a relatively new mommy (9 month old!) and have been mostly on baby related sites, and recently I remembered there was more to me than just staying at home with no other grown ups...(well besides my mother in law that is shk )

So I wanted to say hi before I started jumping on threads and you all wondered who I was! And yes I grow asparagus! I love it because it comes out of the ground ready to serve, and my husband will actually eat it!

--Karen

#110014 September 20th, 2005 at 08:44 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi, Karen! wavey
Glad you made it!

Man, I love asparagus! thumbup

Sooo glad to see you in the Banter Hall!

Cindy Faye

#110015 September 20th, 2005 at 08:48 AM
wavey hi Karen,

flw welcome flw

I love my asparagus too!!!!And you have a baby.How wonderful.

Please,could ya put that sweet smell in a bottle and send it out to me?

#110016 September 20th, 2005 at 08:49 AM
hi there! welcome to the forum! you're gonna love it here! just jump in anywhere and just start chattin' we talk about anything (and everything shk nutz lol!)in here!

#110017 September 20th, 2005 at 09:30 AM
OP Offline
Here is a fun fact about my asparagus patch...last summer when I was pregnant, I couldnt eat the stuff. Not that it made me sick, but for some reason I just had an aversion to it. So I let it all grow instead of harvesting it, and because of that, we had SOOOO much of it this year!

It just looks like a huge green fuzz ball now. I cant wait for it to be fall and winter when it turns golden, KWIM?

Fall....I feel like it's never gonna get here!!!

Thanks for the welcome!

-Karen

#110018 September 20th, 2005 at 10:24 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Mmmmm, ASPARAGUS!!! One of my favorites! You can stay on this forum IF you send us ALL some!

#110019 September 20th, 2005 at 10:35 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
You can stay on this forum IF you send us ALL some!
grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn

#110020 September 20th, 2005 at 05:18 PM
Meg Offline
Welcome to the garden helper addicts anonymous.. oh wait.. wrong name.. Umm. the garden helper forum! wink laugh

I don't like asparagus. I had an incident when I was little. frown *blech*

But that doesn't mean we all can't be friends, and learn things from each other, right? wink grinnnn

Meg

#110021 September 20th, 2005 at 07:26 PM
Looooooove asparagus! kissies

I do not love the smell it leaves behind - :p
if you know what I mean!!! perpl

Welcome to the forums, and tell us more about your gardening?

#110022 September 20th, 2005 at 09:49 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hi karen, glad you're here, sounds like you are going to fit in just fine! of course, we have few karens, a couple of cindy's, a couple of jennifers, and so on, so 'sparagus works great! and most of us are moms (or dads) and have had that 9 mo old to spin our worlds around... cindy-afgrey is right, enjoy it, that little baby you love so much will be a teenager you want to give a solid boot to, way too soon!

#110023 September 20th, 2005 at 10:55 PM
welcome Karen - I remember those 9 month times when you become so used to walking around with spit-up on you that you forget that normal people do not consider a burp cloth to be a fashion accessory. The time flies though and pretty soon they are 13 and embarassed when you cut their meat and try to feed them in public. The nerve!

I like asparagus on toast with melted cheese on top. Of course I like anything with melted cheese on top so that wasn't meant to be a recommendation.

#110024 September 20th, 2005 at 11:36 PM
OP Offline
Have any of you grown asparagus? It's so funny! It just comes out of the ground like someone stuck a whole spear in the dirt. And then if you let it grow, the top turns into a feathery fern and it gets about 5 feet tall!

Ok about what I grow. I live in a pretty suburb-y house with a good size back yard with a fence. I have a raised bed in there that's about 10x12 or so that has the asparagus, a gooseberry bush, and the rest is raspberry (which got eaten by Japanese beetles mad ). The gooseberry is cool, not many poeple have seen one before and I like to scare my friends by trying to get them to eat one!

Most of the other things I have are perennials that came with the house. When we moved in in '99, there were two clumps of Siberian Iris and one clump of daisies about this big *makes circle with arms*. Now I have them EVERYWHERE! I love to hack apart perennials to make more. Seems scary but makes 'em so happy! I also have a few roses that came with the house, I dont know much about them except that they love to be chopped too! They are all little roses: red, pepermint and almost white.

Because I had the lit'l one to cart around this spring I didnt get much done, but did manage some zinnias that are just now getting started cause I planted them so late. I am very proud of these morning glories called "flying saucers" which are big with blue and white stripes. I also planted some "heavenly blues" in almost total SHADE and they are now blooming beautifully and the flowers last really long because of that. I love breaking the rules!

What are you all growing?

-Karen

#110025 September 21st, 2005 at 12:03 AM
weeds and nut grass....

I remember making gooseberry jam with my grandmother when I was a girl visiting the ancestral home (old farm) on Prince Edward Island. I've never seen a gooseberry bush here.

#110026 September 21st, 2005 at 02:08 AM
Welcome to the forum Karen...

I'm with everyone on loving Asparagus but it sure isnt the same in Nebraska as it was in California. Miss the really good stuff.

Also with you on having a lil one to chase after. Our youngest is going to be a year at the beginning of November. Not a lot of time to garden with a virtual newborn in the spring. This year is a different story. He is walking now so will be able to toddle around the yard come springtime planting.

#110027 September 21st, 2005 at 03:09 AM
I have to say I am with meg -- NOT an asparagus eater grinnnn grinnnn grinnnn The joyhood of being a parent.

#110028 September 21st, 2005 at 03:14 AM
Well liver is yucky, but hubby likes it and for some strange reason so do several of the kids. Makes me about ill just to smell it cooking though.

#110029 September 21st, 2005 at 03:41 AM
T
Official Blabber Mouth
Official Blabber Mouth
T
Hi all,

Mom tried to get me to eat asparugus that came in a can. It didn't happen.

Much later in life when I finally learned to cook and discovered that fruit and veggies are not born in a can I discovered they were pretty good.

Add a soft creamy cheese sauce and it's a rave. You know I think that may have just explained something. I started gaining way just as soon as I started becoming a good cook. lol.

Oh well, there is a cost to most good things I guess.

#110030 September 21st, 2005 at 08:30 PM
liver is yummy esp dredged in flour and sauteed in butter with onions and mushrooms. It was only yucky when mom was frying it up like shoe leather, but even then the dog liked it, and would have a feast as all the kids would sneak it to him. And, when you are newly married and have a grocery budget of $12 a week it's a great source of protein. Now it's just a source of cholesterol.

At least asparagus doesn't have cholesterol, except in the hollandaise sauce....

Are you feeling welcomed 'sparagus or do you feel like you've entered the hall of loonies?

#110031 September 21st, 2005 at 09:05 PM
Now it's just a source of cholesterol
You said it, Bev!!!
I always loved liver and onions, and chopped liver, but it's now on the NO-NO list. ters

#110032 September 21st, 2005 at 09:25 PM
OP Offline
wavey

#110033 September 21st, 2005 at 09:29 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Have any of you grown asparagus? It's so funny! It just comes out of the ground like someone stuck a whole spear in the dirt.
I know! It's so cool!
First time I ever saw it growing I thought it was an alien lifeform surfacing! laugh

When I was younger my parents made me eat all kinds of yucky stuff -- liver, etc. So I swore that I would never make my kids eat yucky stuff -- atleast I stuck to not making them eat liver.
Same here...I never made my daughter eat liver frown for that reason as well as there is NO way I could even cook liver now. I'm with Triss...it makes me sick just to smell it. :rolleyes:

Much later in life when I finally learned to cook and discovered that fruit and veggies are not born in a can I discovered they were pretty good.
Amen to that, hooper!
Asparagus in the can doesn't even taste like fresh asparagus. Same with peas. I can't even stand to smell canned peas (mom made me eat those, too) but I love fresh peas.

Are you feeling welcomed 'sparagus or do you feel like you've entered the hall of loonies?
laugh lala

I always loved liver and onions, and chopped liver,
Oh, gross! That is just wrong! laugh

#110034 September 21st, 2005 at 09:55 PM
JV Offline
Critter Keeper
Critter Keeper
I have always loved liver and onions and eat it right along. I don't burn mine up eat it rare it is better for you that way. don't care what the so called Ex-Perts say. Ex =former spert=drip under pressure . That makes all Experts former drips under pressure my thought about all Doctors.

#110035 September 21st, 2005 at 10:07 PM
[Linked Image]Jimmy - you crack me up!!!

Cindy -
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I always loved liver and onions, and chopped liver,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, gross! That is just wrong!
Believe me, if it weren't a cultural food for us, I would never have tried it in a million years! My husband still won't go near it, and as I said, I'm not even allowed to cook it when he's around. I don't anyway since it's on the no-no list.

And I agree - canned veggies are just PeeeeeeUuuuuu! They don't smell right, don't appear right, don't feel right with their limpness (is that a word?!? thumbup

#110036 September 21st, 2005 at 10:11 PM
Ewwww Jimmy... rare is even worse than cooked! Dan does all his meat rare and it is just wrong. Meat needs to be brown not red!

#110037 September 21st, 2005 at 10:17 PM
Meat needs to be brown not red!
AMEN to that, Triss!!! thumbup
I don't want to see my meat walking off my plate
when I'm about to spear it with my knife and fork, ya know? shk frown :p

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard