This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have been up most of the night with a toothache. Anyone know of something I could do to ease the pain? Dentist is closed eek

OP Offline
Excuse my spelling, I guess my tooth is effecting my eyes.

I buy ambesol...it numbs it instantly or rub an aspirin on it. Tastes icky but my mother swears by this!!
Christina

P
P
Home remedy for toothache/teethache.

Home Remedy 1

and

Home Remedy 2

Most dentists have an emergency on call person who will answer the phone if you call. If its an emergency, the dentist should come in for you.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Brush teeth...
Floss if necessary..

Rinse mouth with slightly warm water...

And for when my teeth were impacted...
*wisdom's*
I used to put a piece of ice on the section
of skin, in between them and base of first finger,
*the webbing like part of the area to your thumb.
On the top... press it there..
There's supposed to be some kind of like
accupuncture place there for teeth..
*what I wouldn't give for a piece of paper
and a pencil*

But all the one's given above are also very good..

My worst experience with a tooth, is an absess...
over the weekend, and no dentist on call in my area...AND I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY FIRST KID..
AND NOOOOOOOOOOOO MEDICINE...
UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

WARNING, DO NOT PUT HOT WASHCLOTH ON FACE FOR AN ABSESS....... ONLY DRAWS THE PUSS/POISION UP MORE. ters ters ters ters

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Oil of Cloves is our remedy...I think that was part of what Papito posted. I personally have never used Ambesol products so I don't know how they do...I just know not to ever use them on a baby that is teething. Another thing that works in to rub rum on your gum (I would just drink it myself! laugh ) It will numb the gumand that may help! Hope you get to feeling better Steph!

OP Offline
Thank you all so much for all of the remedies. Right now it's not hurting, but when it starts back, I am going to try everything that's been suggested. kissies
*Steph

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hate toothaches....I feel your pain steph...I've had a few root canals in my life....

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
ah~oh... he we go with the root canals...
do you know I'd rather have the actual root
canal than the absess!!!!
Anyday of the week....
Absess's are horrid! frown :p mad eek sca
The root canal was the easy part...

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Absess's are horrid!
Not only are they horrid...but can be fatal...that's right. They can become systemic very quickly and even cause death. That is why it is so vital to not let that happen or have it seen by a professional very quickly.
Unfortunately, I have never had a root canal work! They were just expensive and only to end up having to have them re-done in less than a year! But, I know they do work wonders for a lot of people!

Most drugstores have a whole section dedicated to dental care. You can buy a small kit that contains a numbing liquid such as anbusol or oil of cloves, and a temporary filling kit mix. You can take 2 Advil and 2 Tylenol together(watch the timing and don't take too much) because it works on different pain centers.

I have a friend who swears that BC or Goody powders put directly in the cavity helps.

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I'm with your friend on the BC powder, Bev! It is a miracle drug in my book! Have used them for years! thumbup

BC powder!! It has been around for longer than I can remember and it works. Oil of cloves that you can find in any CVS, Wal-Mart etc is good to. But my favorite is to rub rum-alot of it so you have to swollow. Do that enough time and you won't notice your tooth ache.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
pure (real) vanilla on cotton stuffed in the cavity. kept me relatively pain free the whole time i was growing up.

and, for an abscess, you can rinse your mouth with coke or pepsi (coke is better) and the acid in the coke will help it drain. (don't ask me how, it just does) just make sure you follow up with water or mouthwash to clean the sugar out of your mouth or it will get worse right away.

Good suggestions all. I would add:

Gargle & Rinse mouth out with warm saline. Remember to spit! LOL

It was on my list of things to do after wisdom tooth extraction.

Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Jiffy,
Have you ever MADE~~~~~>
pure (real) vanilla
Vodka and Vanilla Beans!!! thumbup

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Jiff...I had completely forgot that vanilla was good for a tooth ache! When we went on the cruise I bought a ton of pure vanilla in Honduras...it is some kinda strong. I love it...it has such a different flavor that the yucky immitation stuff! Guess I will just have to plan a cruise evry couple of years so I can stock up on vanilla! thumbup

i never tried rum, but i know thst rubbing vodka on the area that hurts will relieve the pain , (and if you swallow enough you wiont care about it anyway! confused laugh )feel better!

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
Hey Hinda...I've been missing you lately!
When my boys were babies their Godfather's dad was one of the leading Pediatricians in a 5 state area...and he was a wonderful man. He would let me trade him cow manure for his Orchid green house (he was an Orchid breeder) for office visits for the babies because I could not afford to pay him. When Darin was teething, he told me absolutely NOT to use Ambesol or any over the counter teething product...he said it would toughen the gums and make it more difficult for the tooth to push through the gums. He said to get a washcloth and dip the corner in rum and rub it on the babies gums...it would numb it and take away the pain with out toughening the gums. It worked like a miracle...and I used that method on all the kids and grandkids! I swear by it! thumbup

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I swear by it!
Me, too! thumbup

I use rum regularly, and I have NEVER had a toothache in my life!

It must be working! grinnnn

Cindy Sue

Wild Woman
Wild Woman
See...there ya go! The proof is in the puddin! thumbup

I've always used clove oil& one time I was out.....& I mixed cloves& vodka.I crammed cloves& powder both in clove oil jar& added drops of vodka dropped in hot coffee cup for 5 minutes(while sipping on bottle of vodka) then took out and applied& keept drinking vodka....it could have been the vicadon too though.but I swear by clove oil extract.

Don't use too much.it will burn the gums.I've chewed clove gum before too.I've also smoked clove ciggs,but I don't smoke anymore.I quit like 7 years ago.I love to smell vanilla cigars though...

Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
(while sipping on bottle of vodka) then took out and applied& keept drinking vodka....it could have been the vicadon too though.
laugh laugh laugh grinnnn
You've converted me...from now on it's clove oil! nutz
laugh

UH Steph., Just my line of work! Been in the Denistry Field for a little over 20 years now.. Although I was beat to the punch teech Cotton ball dipped in clove oil, if you don't have oil a whole clove or two >> put in microwave in about a tablespoon of water for about 15 seconds and let seep for about 2 minutes > then stuff the cloves inside a cotton ball saturate ball in liquid, squeeze out excess and place on area, and bite into the ball untill you know it will stay in place then TRY to relax your jaw and take what ever pain reliever you know works best.. We always recommend tylenol arthrithis,, Pts seems to say it works best.. Some drug stores sell typical antisethic call around and see!
That's what the doc swabs your mouth with b-4 deadening nerve-ending.. Even some grocers sell it DENTAL TYPICAL ANTISETHIC<< much stronger than the adult form of ambesol.. Hope this helps

Link Copied to Clipboard