This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10969 August 4th, 2003 at 09:54 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi..does anyone know anything about Dwarf Citrus trees I have 2 and one has its leaves curling and the other one is getting yellow spots on it. I can't figure out why. I water it and make sure it has no bugs and I fertilize it. What am I doing wrong??

#10970 August 6th, 2003 at 10:16 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
I don't like when someone doesn't answer ?'s but sometimes nobody knows anything about them.
I have a few dwarf citrus that I recently planted so I am NO expert here. Will help see if I can locate info. to get you started. Maybe somebody will chime in if it rings a bell.

What kind of dwarf citrus do you have?
Are they planted in the ground or in a barrel?
Are they newly planted? How old are they?
Are any bugs seen at all? Even in the curling leaves?
How often watered and how much?
What do you fertilize with? How much?
Describe the yellow leaves? Do they dry up and fall off?

I have a dwarf lemon that was already here and planted within the grass (why they did that I'll never know). Sometimes when it gets too much water the leaves will yellow. I worked in chelated iron and that seemed to help. Make sure you look up different things and ask a nursery or two for help before jumping in and doing something which could cause harm to the tree.
I've noticed they call the yellow leaves chlorosis. But is spotted leaves different????
Can look up Zinc deficiency?
Thrips?
Chlorosis?
There are many diseases but hopefully it's not that.
Hope this gives you a start.
Catlover :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#10971 August 6th, 2003 at 01:48 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B

#10972 August 6th, 2003 at 06:00 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Originally posted by catlover:
I don't like when someone doesn't answer ?'s but sometimes nobody knows anything about them.
I have a few dwarf citrus that I recently planted so I am NO expert here. Will help see if I can locate info. to get you started. Maybe somebody will chime in if it rings a bell.

Thank You, I appreciate it lots.

What kind of dwarf citrus do you have?
I have one Lemon and one orange.

Are they planted in the ground or in a barrel?
Both are in big wood planters made of either cedar or redwood.

Are they newly planted? How old are they?
Got them in late May early June.

Are any bugs seen at all? Even in the curling leaves?
None at all have looked very carefully to m ake sure and I spray if I see any near them.

How often watered and how much?
Approx. 2 a week depending on how hot it gets here. I live in Sacramento valley.

What do you fertilize with? How much?
I got miracle grow sticks especially for citrus trees. It said to feed a new one every six months.

Describe the yellow leaves? Do they dry up and fall off?
No, they have yellow spots and do not fall off. that one is the lemon. the orange has it's leaves curling and all flowers fell off.

I have a dwarf lemon that was already here and planted within the grass (why they did that I'll never know). Sometimes when it gets too much water the leaves will yellow. I worked in chelated iron and that seemed to help. Make sure you look up different things and ask a nursery or two for help before jumping in and doing something which could cause harm to the tree.
Me either, I do not know anything about citrus trees at all.
I've noticed they call the yellow leaves chlorosis. But is spotted leaves different????
Can look up Zinc deficiency?
Thrips?
Chlorosis?
There are many diseases but hopefully it's not that.
Hope this gives you a start.
Catlover :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thank you so very much will try and see what I can find.

smile

#10973 August 6th, 2003 at 06:12 PM
L
OP Offline
L

Thank you very much for the help and the URLS

#10974 August 6th, 2003 at 08:20 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Lady Blue
Where in N. Calif do you live? Big state so may not know area. I live in North County San Diego. Use to live in unicorporated area of L.A. county called Walnut, Calif. Between Diamond Bar and Rowland Heights. Daisey is from Lake Elsinore....if I am remembering correctly. Still have to hit up those outlet stores over there. Just curious, Catlover :rolleyes:

Keep us updated on the orange tree.

#10975 August 7th, 2003 at 08:19 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Catlover,

I live in the Sacramento Valley area. I am about 45 mins from Sac going North. Most people have never heard of Yuba CIty so I usually just say Sac area as most people know where that is. smile

#10976 August 7th, 2003 at 08:51 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Ladyblue,
Hello, Welcome to the Garden Helpers Forum! Glad to have you on board. I'd also like to welcome you to the forum, as Karen said we've got a great bunch of gardeners here, all very friendly and knowledgable.
I'm like Karen, I like to reply to people just to let them know, we are here, we saw your question, once in a blue moon, somebody might not know first hand the answer, but we'll find some research for you to investigate.
But it's a great bunch we have, hope you'll stick around, and chat once in awhile.
Happy Gardening!
Weezie wink

#10977 August 7th, 2003 at 12:19 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Yeah I knew where Sac was but not Yuba City. Looked it up on map....looks like a nice area. You must not be too small you have a fairground. The sunset I saw on the map page was great. Do you get a good view of the sunset where you live? Sure nice to know the general area where people live. Have you noticed there are people from all over the world of this site!
Have a great day
Catlover smile

#10978 August 7th, 2003 at 06:14 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Weezie,
TY for the welcome. I love to play in the garden but am not that great at it.. I try to only plant Perinnals so I don't have to plant them again. lol but I do love to watch my plants grow and it is nice to find a place I can go and talk to other garderers. Thank you smile

#10979 August 7th, 2003 at 06:18 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Catlover,
Yeah we are not really big but we are not small either. Our Fairgrounds holds the Yuba/Sutter Fair every year. Haven't been to it in years.lol Would rather go to Sac State Fair..it is bigger and more fun. We are in a great spot though as we are about 2 hours from everything. It is nice here but can get quite hot and very smoggy from the Bay Area Smog that comes up the valley.

#10980 August 7th, 2003 at 06:56 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Yeah I know about smog. Lived on the outskirts but still felt it in the lungs. My dad used to fly us in his plane all over the place and I remember when flying back into the LA Basin it looked as if a bowl of brown yuck was laying over the city. EEEWWWWW My kids played ALOT of soccer growing up and their chests would hurt after a long game. Played club soccer as well, you know those L O N G weekend tournaments. We traveled all over the place. Never had a problem with the lungs in other areas. Glad I am out of that now!
Well it was nice chatten with ya. Keep tuned into this site it can be a blast sometimes. Especially when it gets late and Bill has hit the hornitoes. Glad to have ya onboard. Keep us informed on the citrus tree. Just post under this site so we know what the problem was to begin with on your tree. It is okay to pull these up again, even from far back.
Catlover
smile

#10981 August 7th, 2003 at 07:11 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Karen and Ladyblue,
I can add to the smog.........

I went to Riverside in March way back when, and I saw beautiful mountains and it was so pretty,
I went back in April/May and the mountains were gone!!!!!!!!!!!!
If someone would have stood there and told me that there were mountains there, I would have told them they were dang liars!!!
If I hadn't saw it for myself!!!!!!
I don't have any of that stuff around here, so it was so strange to see it.
I guess while I was there it was a stage 3 smog alert they called it.
Weezie

#10982 August 7th, 2003 at 07:17 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
ladyblue,
You're more than welcome for the welcome.
My pleasure. It's great to have new gardeners around.
How new are you to gardening??
It's always nice to have someone around to be able to walk you through a project or help with an idea, sometimes, ya just get stumped!!!!
We're a pretty friendly bunch!!!!
Please let us know about your tree and all of your other gardening adventures......
Weezie
Nice name, what's it stand for????

#10983 August 9th, 2003 at 06:14 AM
P
P
Ladyblue,

Do you remember the time when the temperature were in the 104/105 degrees or higher? If you did not find any insect or pests in the citrus, the curled leaves could have been caused by sunburn. I have the same problem with our citruses. Six out the seventy eight citruses we have planted in containers, have curled leaves. And those 6 were the ones that were in the direct sun (more than 8 hours of sun). The leaf tissues have been damaged and would no longer open. It should not affect the fruits though.

Just remember that plants in containers easily dries. The plants are subjected to drying winds, heat (temperature), heat reflected from the ground or cement,etc. sometimes it is necesary to water the plants everyday or even twice a a day when the temperature is well above 100+ degrees.

Link Copied to Clipboard