This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10956 May 6th, 2003 at 02:15 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I need to reseed about 5000 square feet of lawn, what is the most effective way of doing this? Should I mix seed in with the earth with each batch I put in the wheelbarrow, or load it into the wheelbarrow, dump it out, do the whole lot, and then go around spreading seed on it?

Thanks!

Lori in Montreal eek

#10957 May 11th, 2003 at 04:42 PM
F
F
I hope u got some answers concerning the reseeding of your yard.
Wish i could give u some advice, but i'm not an expert on cool season grasses.
In SC we grow 2 kinds of cool season grasses- fescue and annual rye, but warm season grasses are more common. Generally, when people reseed their lawn here, they pull a "roller thing" (don't know the technical name!) behind a garden tractor. It has spikes on it. It aereates (sp?) the ground and makes small holes. Then they spread their grass seed. Not sure if that is the proper way to reseed, but that is what many people do here. I also don't know whether it would be best thing to do where u live.

I have a warm season grass (centipede) and it puts out runners and fills in any bare places that might be present. There is no seeding involved.

By the way, i'm curious- what kind of grass seed are u sowing?

Best of luck with your reseeding project.

#10958 May 12th, 2003 at 10:18 AM
A
A
do you have a fertilizer spreader with adjustable holes? if you do you can try using the spreader. mix your seed with some play sand that is slightly moist(will help prevent the seed from blowing away). a good time to do this is after you have power raked the lawn in the spring. give this a try as we have used it on a smaller lawn and it works ok.

#10959 May 14th, 2003 at 02:49 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Bob, I'm using a mix of Kentucky blue, red fescue and rye.

Doing it this weekend, wish me luck, lol!

Lori laugh

#10960 May 18th, 2003 at 09:33 AM
F
F
Lori, i hope your grass seeding went well for u! It has rained here ALL weekend and is very unseasonably cool for this time of year- of course i don't mind the cool weather since i work outside.

#10961 May 18th, 2003 at 04:34 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Well, I got the front lawn done on Friday, had a tree crew here today to trim and thin out the canopies of some trees, so I couldn't get the back done. I'll work on that on Tuesday when it cools down, it's been 25 Celcius here the last 2 days, and looks like 27 for tomorrow, too hot to do anything, lol!

Have a great week!

Link Copied to Clipboard