This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10945 December 24th, 2002 at 08:43 AM
C
Cherie Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Could somebody please tell me if this is a good or a bad thing to do. Our water supply is from a well and I'd rather not waste any more water than need be. It seems every morning there is a little coffee to be tossed out and I wondered if there is anything good or bad in regard to putting it on the plants. I don't know the correct names for my houseplants ... there is a spider plant, an ivy with a varigated leaf and a couple of very tall "trees" that have leaves that look like corn, but I simply call it "Henry"!

#10946 December 25th, 2002 at 11:40 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Using coffee on potted plants is definitely not a good idea. Coffee will make the soil more acidic. As that happens, the essential nutrients are "bound up" and no longer available for use by thr plants. Then the plants start to suffer from anemia and that cannot be remedied by adding fertilizer, only by making the soil less acidic.

#10947 December 26th, 2002 at 04:53 AM
A
A
It is great for azaleas outdoors though!

If you are trying to conserve water, try putting a pail in the shower with you. It'll catch some of the water and if you are careful not to get a lot of soap or shampoo in there it works great. Water from hard boiled eggs is safe, too. I am not on a well system, but I try to use 'greywater' as much as possible when safe, to conserve water resources.

#10948 January 3rd, 2003 at 07:09 PM
K
K
I use coffee all the time to water my pythos plants in my office. I also use coffee grounds to sprinkle on the soil in my outdoor gardens.

The pythos are looking great!

#10949 January 4th, 2003 at 03:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Kahrah,

Eventually the coffee will catch up with your pothos and the leaves will start to turn a pale yellowish green.

Link Copied to Clipboard