This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10917 July 31st, 2003 at 01:08 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Haven't been able to garden for a while-infected appendectomy site-but my husband (not a gardener) has done yeoman's work and I've been lurking at the forum. Before my surgery I planted a new perennial garden. Loved the pictures of crocosmia, but my new one had only two flower spikes. Is that natural for the first year or is it not getting enough sun? I had to sstake it as it was leaning toward the sun. Any answers? Thanks.

#10918 August 1st, 2003 at 07:22 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Molly Malone,
I remember seeing your name......
I hope your feeling better!!
Surgery is not fun!!
I've had two C~sections and neither were a good time..........LOL....................

Anyways, it's says something to the effect that they don't flower well until they get to be a bit crowded!!! http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/croc_xcr.cfm
I have them and didn't relize this, mine are in some shade from something in front of them, but seem to be hangin' in there.
Guess we all learn something everyday!!!!

Hope this helps,
Weezie

And glad to have you back on board!!
And glad to hear you're still lurking the forum!!! It's great to have all sorts of people here to help with ideas and info,
it only takes one person to solve an un~answered question!!! wink

#10919 August 2nd, 2003 at 06:31 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Wow! What a great reply and site, Weezie. Thanks much. I've printed it out for my garden notebook. You've given me a ray of sunshine on a rainy blah day!

#10920 August 2nd, 2003 at 06:39 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Molly,
What else did you plant in your garden??

Are you new to gardening?

How are you feeling?

Is your husband still gardening for you?
I have a girlfriend that just started gardening a couple of years ago and she comes to my house and I send her home with flats full of flowers, but she had to have surgery to her hand and then it was a bit hard for her. So her hubby started doing the work and weeding and transplanting for her..
(I shutter at the thought of my husband in my flower beds, I'd have lawn when he'd get done. LMAS) But was curious how your hubby felt about it, I know my girlfriends hubby's reaction is... He just kind of shrinks when she starts talking about the garden.......

Anyways, hope you're feeling better!!
Weezie

#10921 August 2nd, 2003 at 06:59 AM
If I let my husband garden I wouldn't have no plants.as it is he wacks them from time to time so am getting good at propagateing too.plus he is not aloowed on lawn mower...much safer.
nice site though.will have to try one of those out.in a container to make it think it is crowded..LOL :p sure nice to mess wih mother nature sometimes..LOL

#10922 August 2nd, 2003 at 10:16 AM
D
D
Okay...I may not know much...but the site says they need to be dug up further than zone 6 and that doesn't seem to be the case here (zone 8) they are definately invasive, but so beautiful I just let them go. Mine are in full bloom right now and the bright orange and fire engine red are fabulous for cut flower arrangements, as are the leaves. I haven't separated them nor ever dug them up but I think I might have to this year. I give crocosmia ten thumbs up for easy growing and beauty.

Link Copied to Clipboard