This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10913 May 22nd, 2003 at 11:31 AM
B
OP Offline
B
One of my gardenias was doing fabulous until I weeded around it. I pulled 15 foot "weeds" out of the ground, and now I'm sure I should have pulled them, because now the leaves on my gardenia are brown and yellow. It no longer blooms. I've watered and fed it, but no luck. I'm just a beginner gardener, but I thought weeding was good for plants!! Anyone know how I can fix this?

#10914 May 24th, 2003 at 05:27 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Beginner Begonia,
I'm from the North and I put begonia's in pots (because they don't over winter up here)
But I'd say if you weeded around your begonia's and now they are yellowing.........
I'd have to ask some questions????
When you pulled out the weeds were the roots intertwined with the begonia's roots?.......
Did you firmly place the dirt back around your begonia's roots?????
Did you give it some Miracle Grow?
(10-60-10)????
That will help with the root shock and reroot growth and then flowering.......
What type of day??
And time of day???
Now you live in Fla., a hot place.......
On days when it's really hot and the roots are disturbed and maybe not refirmed up and in shock your leaves will show the effects...
Try this, let us know how it turns out..
Weezie wink

#10915 June 2nd, 2003 at 03:36 AM
F
F
Begginer Begonia,

I have seen several people write in a ask about problems with gardenias and yellowing leaves.
Yes, weeding around it might have disturbed the roots, but there could be another reason.
I also have several gardenias and they are doing terrible this year. Part of the problem has been the cold winter we experienced here in SC. It did some damage, but i think another problem might be the excess rain. I have two that were looking ok a couple weeks ago and now they are almost dead. The leaves started turning yellow. I'm going to call the Clemson extension office today and see if this is a problem this year. I know it's not the iron in the soil. I used commercially prepared soil. Maybe i can get some answers for both of us!

Link Copied to Clipboard