This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#108903 October 5th, 2005 at 09:52 AM
H
hoa Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello! I was registered with the Garden Helper long time ago but this is my first posting because I have some problems with English and the use of the computer.
This is my second year with gardening but I am quite abdicted to it.

#108904 October 5th, 2005 at 10:03 AM
hi there! welcome :-) you might want to post in the banter hall part of this site. this is gardener's chat where we talk about our gardens and things like that. we talk about all other things in the banter hall. where is montreal at?

#108905 October 5th, 2005 at 11:14 AM
Hi Hoa

I know what you mean about being addicted. I havent made it a year and I am hooked also. This is a good group, you will find lots of information here.

Welcome aboard

Malinda

#108906 October 5th, 2005 at 11:58 AM
The Bird Man
The Bird Man
Montreal is in Quebec, Canada, Miss Jamie. Most of the people there are of French descent and speak French as their primary language.

#108907 October 5th, 2005 at 06:06 PM
Hello and welcome back to Garden Helper. I have family in Montreal in a city called Chataguay. Close to you hoa? Don't worry about the English, if your not sure just post it in french and I'll translate it for you.

#108908 October 7th, 2005 at 11:59 AM
My husband, Jeff was raised in Town of Mont Royal - he can speak french but rarely does.

He's like me - gets into enough trouble in English.

Welcome.

#108909 October 8th, 2005 at 11:13 AM
H
hoa Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thank you every body for answering me. You see I am not very quick on how to use the forum yet. After a long time of searching and posting in different places I find my way here.
As a matter of fact, Carly, I live in Town of Mont Royal.
One of the questions I have today is: Would I ruin the spireas in a long run because along the row of the spireas I share with my neighbors I had dumped some garden soil that I had dug up for planting other plants, creating a mount of soil almost 1 and a half feet higher on my side than my neighbor's side.

#108910 October 16th, 2005 at 05:27 AM
allo hoa,

si tu veut tu me pm si t a des questions et je te le traduis ,des fois 1 mots ou une phrase,ne te gene pas,je suis de ste -dorothee.je sais je te l ai dit avant mais je sais pas si tu l a deja lus.excuse l orthographe.

bonne chance.

#108911 October 16th, 2005 at 05:35 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
HEY!! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE THERE!
I'm having a hard enough time figuring out phlttttttts!
confused

#108912 October 16th, 2005 at 05:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
laugh laugh she was just using french bill... but, i don't speak it either, i just recognise it 'cause kate took 4 years of it!

#108913 October 16th, 2005 at 05:59 AM
Bill,

i m so sorry,don t worry it wasn t a flowering conspiracy. i was just telling her if she needed some help with a word or phrases she just have to pm me and i would help her,sorry won t do it again,

thank you,merci!!

Jiffy,

thanks very much.

have a good week-end all.

#108914 October 16th, 2005 at 06:16 AM
HEY!! WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE THERE!
I'm having a hard enough time figuring out phlttttttts!
CAUGHT YA!!!
What are you doing in this post now?!? shk

#108915 October 16th, 2005 at 06:16 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I just teasing you Francine! French is a beautiful language and I almost understood what you were saying (kinda.. a lil bit... it's been a long time tho... I'm proud to be Belgian and that's about as close to being or speaking French as you can get... right?)
I've seen enough of your posts to know there was nothing to worry about... I was just teasing! OK? kissies

#108916 October 16th, 2005 at 06:19 AM
oooooooooooooo - Bill owes me a drinkie poo! muggs

#108917 October 16th, 2005 at 06:42 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
What are you doing in this post now?!?
I was just trying to add a little to my vast multi-lingual repertoire!
Between my Belgian grandparents yammering, 2 years of Spanish in high school, alter boy Latin training, and growing up in the largest Scandahoovian (Svedish, Dane and Norsk) neighborhood on the west coast, I am very adept and able to join in a conversation in many different languages.
I usually don't have the foggiest idea of what anyone is talking about, but I can pick up enough words to know when to nod or laugh, that everyone thinks I know what's going on!
Yah, sure! Ya bet your bippy!

#108918 October 16th, 2005 at 08:29 AM
Hi Bill,

thank you for puting me at ease,por un minuto i pensado estaba en apuro(for a minute i thought i had desobeied a rule),nein gedachte desobeied ik een regel);(no rule desobeied )

BBOYYY am i happy,

thanks for your trust.

where were your grandparents from,if i might ask. shocked wink wavey kissies

#108919 October 16th, 2005 at 09:05 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I was worried when you logged off so quickly after that post and was very relieved when I saw you log back on! For the most part I am always just a giant teddy bear and it takes a lot of bad-doings to get me riled up.

Trust me... I have never heard a single bad comment about you, and helping a new member who is not fluent in English will never ever get you in trouble here!

When I do get mean and grouchy and mad at anyone, believe me that they know it fast, cuz I just sic Jiffy and Catlover on them! laugh Then they'd better watch out because those two ladies are downright MEAN!

My grandparents came from from Beauraing, a small village down the mountain from Beauraing Castle and bordering the Beauraing Forest which is on the Belgian side of the border across from the Black Forest(I think) in France. When they landed at Ellis Island in the early 20's they dropped the g from the end of our family name, and one day (in 1978? LOL... I think my nose just grew a little...) I became Bill Beaurain. (Not a word Cindy!!!) frown
When I was little I used to fantasize that I was a long lost prince or something, but...
My sisters visited the village and castle and brought photos home for me to see, but I've never been there. From what I understand, the Castle and the entire region is really awesome!

Hmmmm...King William XIV... I like the sound of that! You would all have to address me as Your Majesty or something like that..
Maybe I need to go to Belgium and see what happens! Ya think? laugh
Maybe someday... in my dreams! lala

#108920 October 16th, 2005 at 09:30 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
(Not a word Cindy!!!)
OMG! shk
I could have gone full throttle with that post, Your Majesty! lala

*afgrey tapes fingers together to stop herself*

:rolleyes:

#108921 October 16th, 2005 at 11:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by Bill:
... cuz I just sic Jiffy and Catlover on them! laugh Then they'd better watch out because those two ladies are downright MEAN!
mean? me? are you kidding? lala NEVER!!! laugh laugh i'm just the author of ninety percent of all those "this is mother and you children better behave" posts! laugh laugh

#108922 October 17th, 2005 at 12:20 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
i'm just the author of ninety percent of all those "this is mother and you children better behave" posts!
Well.....I just had a really funny thing to say about the other 10% of the "mother" posts...but I'm trying to be good now...so I'll just keep it to myself and sit here and laugh for a minute and then move along..... wavey

#108923 October 17th, 2005 at 12:31 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
i'm just the author of ninety percent of all those "this is mother and you children better behave" posts!
Well.....I just had a really funny thing to say about the other 10% of the "mother" posts...but I'm trying to be good now...so I'll just keep it to myself and sit here and laugh for a minute and then move along..... wavey
ya gotta pm it to me, PLEASE laugh

#108924 October 17th, 2005 at 12:41 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
You must swear to NOT tell His Majesty! frown laugh

#108925 October 17th, 2005 at 03:09 PM
H
hoa Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Hello every body,
A few days ago I kept checking for messages but there was nothing. And then Bang! So many messages! You guys are really fantastic.
I live in Town of Mount Royal not to far from Francine's which is St Dorothee. During summer I go to many nurseries around there.
I am originally from Vietnam. I was a student at the University of Oregon long, long time ago. I travelled a bit in Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Austria and many time in France.
Those last 2 years I am crazy about gardening. Pretty soon I will try to do some cutting and seedling but I find them very difficult. Now, it's the first time I have some new house plants so I am trying not to kill them. I am starting to grow citrus plants like lime, tangerine and kumquats. Also my friends gave me a bamboo plant (not the lucky bamboo), a pomegranate and an abutilon.
I feel quite unsecured about house plants i.e. watering and insect problems.

#108926 October 17th, 2005 at 10:03 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, on the houseplants, the watering is easy. stick the end of your finger in the pot. if it is dry, water it. if it is wet, wait! that is a hard thing to learn, for something so simple. i have killed lots of plants trying to learn it!

Link Copied to Clipboard