This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10850 July 15th, 2003 at 01:37 PM
A
OP Offline
A
I started my first garden this spring and everything has been going pretty well except there are flys (just regular house flys) everywhere and I have seen a few mushrooms around. Should I be worried about the flys and the mushrooms? Even if not, what is the safest way to get rid of them?

B
B
Hi Amizhoyogi,
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have had too much moisture. I know mushrooms like it moist and dark.

Does your garden get at least 8 hours of sunlight a day? Have you had excessive rain? I know in Northern Illinois, we have had a lot and I'm sure it all moves easterly from here. Mushrooms have been growing in my grass recently. As for the flies, are you adding anything to your garden? If your throwing in food (like apple cores, potato peels etc) the flies will be come around. If your adding compost, try more brown like brown leaves, twigs, straw, coffee grounds. Weezie (a very wise and knowledgable gardner) taught me about balancing browns and greens. I had too much green in my compost bin and it smelled like a pig penn and flies were abuzzing everywhere! I've added brown leaves (from last fall) each time I add greens and the flies and smell are gone! Well, good luck, I hope I've helped. Give more details of what you've been doing and someone on this forum will give you the answers.

--Bunny T. smile

Link Copied to Clipboard